blown engine questions

ekrantz

It took a year, close to 25grand and head gasket fix and alky kit now I have to start from scratch. My qestion is how hard is for the average guy to build these motors. Ive built v8s bf but this is a Buick v6. From my understanding its way different. My uncle who builds mopar big blocks for a living says we can do it easy. But i would feel more comfortable having buick guys do it, I live close to Andersons in MD. They did the alky, ran awsome till it went. Suggestions.......

It took a year, close to 25grand and head gasket fix and alky kit now I have to start from scratch. My qestion is how hard is for the average guy to build these motors. Ive built v8s bf but this is a Buick v6. From my understanding its way different. My uncle who builds mopar big blocks for a living says we can do it easy. But i would feel more comfortable having buick guys do it, I live close to Andersons in MD. They did the alky, ran awsome till it went. Suggestions.......

First answer do a search......on engine builds

Second answer of course is how fast do you want to go?? 25k? Was that for a total buildup of the car? Or just the engine alone?

Third Answer Go back to Anderson's they do excellent Buick Motors....and their reputation is impeccable......

Fourth Answer if anything....remember the clearances on these motors have to be set Extremely Tight!!!!

Good Luck

Well you say how hard is it for the average guy to buil on of these engines.....well some peoples perception of the average guy is way different.

If you have a few engine builds under you belt and a very good understanding on how to check bearing tolerances and such you will not have a problem. These are just engines like any other and the clearances need to be dead on like any other ( some engines you can get away with not so dead on numbers like a sbc) as long as you know what numbers you need for mains rods....etc...... and you take your time you will be just fine:cool:

plus if you run into anything questionable just jump on this site, tons of information and most everyone on here is willing to offer suggestions and help.

Had to be 2500. I would personally leave it to the professionals. Its cheaper to do it ONCE

There is nothing special about building one of theses engines,follow the specs.If would say if your uncle built bb mopars it should be a piece of cake for him.Thats all i built before building my 3.8.Heck mine came in pieces and i still figured it out.And this way you will know everything is in spec.

For me it was a personal passion for doing things myself. Other wise if I was that close to Andersons and could take the price of admission that is an easy choice, let them that know do it. It was nice to know that ALL the casting flash was ground out and that I have the pics and specs checked by me. The ups and downs are if it runs great you did it, if it blows up like a 10lb block of c4 you did it. Good luck with it either way and post if you need any info. You need to have a machinist that will listen to the specs you provide! Jon Hanson

Measure 2, maybe 3 times- build once. Purge your brain of SBC/SBF thoughts....

Keep detonation to zero, and the engine will live a long, healthly life. Tuning correctly is a major factor in longevity.

Thanks for the feedback

It was 10.5 for the car. Then the rest was spent fixing everything that was wrong including lots of towing everytime something new broke. Also had to paint it black again and replace the bottom of both doors(rust). Money pit, but I love whipping up on vettes and viper guys. It ran a 10.97 bf it blew and I want it to go 10.20s. I just dont want to pour more into it without consulting buick guys first. Thanks for the reponse guys. Would you recomend a forged crank for low tens bc I think its a spun bearing that did it.

Would you recomend a forged crank for low tens bc I think its a spun bearing that did it.[/QUOTE]

i would definitly run a forged crank for low 10s,some guys run low tens with a stock crank but i think it is a matter of time before problem arise.