Blowing oil out of breathers!! Compression test results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's just one hole you are focusing on, run your compresion test and then shoot some oil down that hole and run it again if it goes higher you have a problem but I still suggest a leak down tester you might be able to rent one somewhere if your compression tests and leak down test turn out good then start looking elsewhere like others have suggested

Why should the owner have to go through this problem of compression test, leak down etc. The builder should do it or send his own person to do so, he built it and this could clear the air very easily.

Why should the owner have to go through this problem of compression test, leak down etc. The builder should do it or send his own person to do so, he built it and this could clear the air very easily.
He did offer to fix it but the OP doesnt want that

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It was offered numerous times by the builder. Yet the owner refuses. It’s his prerogative though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like I myself and others have mentioned in the other thread, do a leak down test.

Those valve covers you have put the grommet and breather in an area were the rockers sling oil right on them. Your solution may possibly be something as simple as changing out your breather/grommet/valve cover strategy. I’m not saying that is conclusively you issue but it may be a possibility.

X2 regarding the breather/grommet/valve covers. I have those same valve covers with roller rockers but larger breathers. They were making a big mess on both sides. Biggest problem was the breathers were not fitting tight enough in the grommets, and oil was actually leaking from around them under the breathers.

I increased the breather post outside diameter using some foil tape. Also used some spare up-pipe clamps and couplers to make a 'fence' around the bottom portion of the breathers. Everything around there dried up after that. See attached pictures.

-Jim

Attachments

• IMG_20190401_180305835.jpg
    IMG_20190401_180305835.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20190401_180443950_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190401_180443950_HDR.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 79
X2 regarding the breather/grommet/valve covers. I have those same valve covers with roller rockers but larger breathers. They were making a big mess on both sides. Biggest problem was the breathers were not fitting tight enough in the grommets, and oil was actually leaking from around them under the breathers.

I increased the breather post outside diameter using some foil tape. Also used some spare up-pipe clamps and couplers to make a 'fence' around the bottom portion of the breathers. Everything around there dried up after that. See attached pictures.

-Jim

Great job catching the issue, being realistic, and fixing it relatively easy.

so mechanic came over last night and he said motor def needs to be pulled. rings need to be replaced. his exact words were don't waste time with a leakdown

-Jim
Some of it is the breather but it is excessive blowby. mechanic said last night don't even bother with a leakdown test. engine needs to be pulled and honed reringed, rings upside down etc. so lots of phone calls today.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.