blow off valve

Holdenbr

Here is another question for you.
My newly acquired 87 GN has been in the shop for a month now getting much needed attention and one of the things the mechanic installed is a blow off valve. He indicated that this was really needed so I said go ahead. He mainly works on Japanese turbo's such as Skylines, Supra's and right hand imports, but he was the only mechanic I could find in the Tulsa area that indicated he had some experience with these type of cars.
So, did I screw up?
I have no mechanical experience, only a 2 1/2 decade love for the car.

Here is another question for you.
My newly acquired 87 GN has been in the shop for a month now getting much needed attention and one of the things the mechanic installed is a blow off valve. He indicated that this was really needed so I said go ahead. He mainly works on Japanese turbo's such as Skylines, Supra's and right hand imports, but he was the only mechanic I could find in the Tulsa area that indicated he had some experience with these type of cars.
So, did I screw up?
I have no mechanical experience, only a 2 1/2 decade love for the car.

Needed...No...but it won't hurt . My car had one on it when I bought it . It is just one more place for a vacuum / boost leak . Search BOV on this site ,and you will see all the + & - .

Is it a re-circulated system or vented to the atmosphere?
If it releases to the atmosphere you will be chasing air/fuel ratio problems after its installed. The mass airflow sensor is before the turbo and the bov is after. It will vent and cause rich condition. That is unless it's converted to speed density.

If it releases to the atmosphere you will be chasing air/fuel ratio problems after its installed. The mass airflow sensor is before the turbo and the bov is after. It will vent and cause rich condition. That is unless it's converted to speed density.
I will tell the mechanic of your comments
Thx to all for the input