Black paint on wheels?

Gnx6

What is the black paint on the wheels done with? Is it something you can get in a rattle can? Is it a powdercoating? I have 2 wheels that I had widened by a local wheel place, they are chrome but need to have proper black in suitable areas.. Thanks!

I've always thought it was powdercoating. Need to eventually get around to restoring my original wheels.

What is the black paint on the wheels done with? Is it something you can get in a rattle can? Is it a powdercoating? I have 2 wheels that I had widened by a local wheel place, they are chrome but need to have proper black in suitable areas.. Thanks!

Who did your wheels and how wide did you make them???
I have the G-Body 8" but they aren't wide enough and I've been trying like hell to find some place to make me a set 9" wide with no luck.

ks

Ditto on the SEM product but pay attention to the preperation as the cleaner it is the longer the paint will stay on.

Not powder coat. A rattle can of SEM trim black will work fine.
Yes, powdercoat! I did mine several years ago using the rattle can method it does work...but only for a while, because sooner or later, it will peel off. :rolleyes: Believe me, the only way to do them that will last is to have them powdercoated, period.

Claude.:cool:

I used a little paint brush and believe it or not testors model paint I did it 7 years ago and its still glossy none has flaked off and it's held up to heat brake dust and wheel cleaner I can post pics if needed

Powder coating can be very, very cheap. If you find the local powder coating shop have them look at them and give you a price and they may keep the cost down if you do the taping yourself..

ks

Yes, powdercoat! I did mine several years ago using the rattle can method it does work...but only for a while, because sooner or later, it will peel off. :rolleyes: Believe me, the only way to do them that will last is to have them powdercoated, period.

Claude.:cool:
He was asking if it was powdercoat originally. It was not. Painting will last, if done correctly. Mine has been painted for 10 years now and no peeling or chipping with over 30K of summer driving since it was done. It won't peel if the prep work is done correctly. Not to mention the expense of powdercoating these wheels.

Powder coating can be very, very cheap. If you find the local powder coating shop have them look at them and give you a price and they may keep the cost down if you do the taping yourself..

ks
What is cheap? After you pay to have your tires dismounted, carted to your powder coater, pay for mounting AND balancing, down time with car on jack stands. A couple of hundred I would expect. Cheap is a 6 dollar rattle can.

What is cheap? After you pay to have your tires dismounted, carted to your powder coater, pay for mounting AND balancing, down time with car on jack stands. A couple of hundred I would expect. Cheap is a 6 dollar rattle can.

I agree $6 is cheap and cost is a matter of perspective but he hasn't stated what his budget is. I did the rattle can twice but the paint kept flaking off or eventually faded. Once I discovered how inexpensive powder coating "can be" then anything that I want to last I get quoted for PC'ing first.

No need to re-balance after dismounting. Mark the weight locations on each tire and mark which tire came off which rim then simply remount them. Every tire shop does this anyway when fixing a flat.

If he can get them both done for $50 then this is cheap for the quality of the job and how long it will last, albeit not as cheap as a spoof can, tho..;)

ks

Tire mounting, balancing etc. is no cost for me. I will go the powdercoat route. With a 1yr old I barely have time to wipe my butt, re-doing wheels over and over again is not in the time budget. Thanks guys!

Anyone know what the black is called? Is it a satin?

Tire mounting, balancing etc. is no cost for me. I will go the powdercoat route. With a 1yr old I barely have time to wipe my butt, re-doing wheels over and over again is not in the time budget. Thanks guys!

Anyone know what the black is called? Is it a satin?

I believe there was an old thread that stated that it was Satin but I don't know if there was a certain color for it.
The PC'ing company should have a bunch of samples chips that you can pick from and maybe they have different black satin ones too.. The wheel will need to be taped off with a special tape and I would suggest talking with those people and see if you can take one of their rolls home and bring it back when done. I would just tape off the chrome face of it and not worry about the back or tire part of it since it won't matter if there is paint on those surfaces. Just tell them to paint the front of it and they should know what you want.. Unless you want all of it painted..

ks

Plastids has been used on some of my buddies cars and it looks good. They have done wheels and body panels.

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick