Bison – TE45A question

Jerryl

Tall Unvaccinated Chinese Guy
Any idea?

What is the real world “sweet spot” for a TE45A with 0.83 PThousing on a car with ported heads/intake?
What about Boost/BP ratio?

Don't know shift RPM at this time. :(

When I had one 25 was pretty sweet!

I bet! LOL

I did some calcs;
Ass-U-ming I have the correct map (T66 . . .:confused:) . . . .
The Max calculated sweet spot is PR 3.36 @ 5000rpm :eek: I have no intentions of getting that high, ever. :p

My “comfort number” on 93/SMC is 2.65PR which keeps the mass flow in the high efficiency island . . . but the efficiency really does not matter much with alky. Really should put a TE44 on it . . . . but that is not happening either. :rolleyes::eek::D;)

We need to get the car to 117-119MPH, minimum.
Looks like we may be able to get it done at 21 PSI. :confused: (Don't ask . . . it is a friendly bragging rights thing :D)
Really need Bison to come tune my junk! :cool:

I bet! LOL

I did some calcs;
Ass-U-ming I have the correct map (T66 . . .:confused:) . . . .
The Max calculated sweet spot is PR 3.36 @ 5000rpm :eek: I have no intentions of getting that high, ever. :tongue:

My “comfort number” on 93/SMC is 2.65PR which keeps the mass flow in the high efficiency island . . . but the efficicny really does not matter much with alky. Really should put a TE44 on it . . . . but that is not happening either. :rolleyes::eek::D;)

We need to get the car to 117-119MPH, minimum.
Looks like we may be able to get it done at 21 PSI. :confused: (Don't ask . . . it is a friendly bragging rights thing :D)
Really need Bison to come tune my junk! :cool:
Since youve already seen the compressor map then you know the potential of the compressor wheel. Looks like between about 2.2 and 3.3:1 it flows a lot of cold air particularly in the 60lb/min area. Probably why people put one in with cam, heads, and intercooler and make power no matter where they run it over 20psi. The hot side will cause backpressure before you can run the compressor wheel out. It wont happen till the car is trapping over 135mph though. You should be able get the car to tap 117 at 16-17psi. I wouldnt bother with th larger a/r housing at that power level. Even the Garrett .63 will be plenty to get 120+ and not cause a problem and the response will be much better. Id be shifting as low as 5200 if it has the stock cam at 20psi, 5400-5500@25psi, 5600-5700@30+psi and I wouldnt be too worried about the SMC either up to about 550hp. I run 3:1 and around 60lbs/min with my blue car which is way off the map and its been running like that for about a year.

The 45a rules. I'm using stock headers and the Precision .63 exhaust side and gone over 130 in the 1/4. Set your boost to at least 25psi on the 45a. Mine at 17-18 psi goes 119-121 in the 1/4 with an unlocked converter.

The 45a rules. I'm using stock headers and the Precision .63 exhaust side and gone over 130 in the 1/4. Set your boost to at least 25psi on the 45a. Mine at 17-18 psi goes 119-121 in the 1/4 with an unlocked converter.

Holy COW!!!
Thanks for sharing!

Since youve already seen the compressor map then you know the potential of the compressor wheel. Looks like between about 2.2 and 3.3:1 it flows a lot of cold air particularly in the 60lb/min area. Probably why people put one in with cam, heads, and intercooler and make power no matter where they run it over 20psi. The hot side will cause backpressure before you can run the compressor wheel out. It wont happen till the car is trapping over 135mph though. You should be able get the car to tap 117 at 16-17psi. I wouldnt bother with th larger a/r housing at that power level. Even the Garrett .63 will be plenty to get 120+ and not cause a problem and the response will be much better. Id be shifting as low as 5200 if it has the stock cam at 20psi, 5400-5500@25psi, 5600-5700@30+psi and I wouldnt be too worried about the SMC either up to about 550hp. I run 3:1 and around 60lbs/min with my blue car which is way off the map and its been running like that for about a year.

Thanks Bison!
Now come tune my junk!! LOL!!

I am still not sure what cam is in the car.
All I know it has a billet roller, roller rockers (unknown ratio), ported heads/intake/TB, IC/Double Pumper/MSBC 3"ATR, 3200 l a z y Protorque . . . . I just installed PL
(I know I know . . . . I need to find out . . LOL!)

Thanks guys!

............ You should be able get the car to tap 117 at 16-17psi. I wouldnt bother with th larger a/r housing at that power level. Even the Garrett .63 will be plenty to get 120+ and not cause a problem and the response will be much better. Id be shifting as low as 5200 if it has the stock cam at 20psi, 5400-5500@25psi, 5600-5700@30+psi and I wouldnt be too worried about the SMC either up to about 550hp. I run 3:1 and around 60lbs/min with my blue car which is way off the map and its been running like that for about a year.

Over many years, the TE-45a has been our second most popular turbo, especially for street/strip cars. :)

The results we have experienced are right in line with the info Bison has stated.

With ported iron heads in a full weight Limited, it has run 10.69 @128 MPH using 26 psi boost. Well ported alum heads and a different cam has produced a 10.2 @131 MPH and 20/12 psi with a TE-45A.

The above numbers were after we changed from a Precision .82 housing to a Garrett .63. The Garrett made a BIG difference in spooling and greatly improved 60' times.

We love this turbo, and have another one with a Garrett housing on the way from Limit. :biggrin:

te 45a, Ported Irons ,108 reds chip,50 Lb Inj...Through the MAF 10.59 at Gateway 26PSI

We love this turbo, and have another one with a Garrett housing on the way from Limit. :biggrin:

I have a 6665 w/ smaller housing. I love it.
Crazy,how it spools much faster than billet 6262 .63 pte.

Putting a garrett housing on the t45 is a great idea. But is it cost effective? Tnetics sells 6665 with smallet housing for just over a grand..New.

Joe

Anyone experience any surging at lower psi cruising around? I suppose Garrett doesn't make a ported shroud? I get some surging with my GT6131 at about 10 psi and it's damn annoying.

Over many years, the TE-45a has been our second most popular turbo, especially for street/strip cars. :)
The results we have experienced are right in line with the info Bison has stated.
With ported iron heads in a full weight Limited, it has run 10.69 @128 MPH using 26 psi boost. Well ported alum heads and a different cam has produced a 10.2 @131 MPH and 20/12 psi with a TE-45A.
Thanks Nick!
Looks like the "Old skool" STILL gets it done! :cool:

te 45a, Ported Irons ,108 reds chip,50 Lb Inj...Through the MAF 10.59 at Gateway 26PSI
What was the IDC?
Alky or just race gas?

We're talking about a P-trim, right? Not a Q-trim??
K.
Bison LOVES a good "P-trim in a tight body for a "quick hit". :tongue:

Thanks Nick!
Looks like the "Old skool" STILL gets it done! :cool:

What was the IDC?
Alky or just race gas?

Bison LOVES a good "P-trim in a tight body for a "quick hit". :tongue:
The gtq spools noticeably slower and is a waste on most applications. I wouldnt even consider a gtq unless i was looking for 9.8 power. The p trim is very predictable and spools a lot faster with more ex housing options.

The gtq spools noticeably slower and is a waste on most applications. I wouldnt even consider a gtq unless i was looking for 9.8 power. The p trim is very predictable and spools a lot faster with more ex housing options.

U R D Man!
Thanks for taking time to respond and share! :cool:

I let the car shift itself and ran the 10.2 @ 131 with my Chopper built Limit 45a.
6000 1st to 2nd
drops to 5400
5750 2nd to 3rd
through the traps 6200

Could go faster if I shifted but the column detent sucks so I let the car shift itself.

I let the car shift itself and ran the 10.2 @ 131 with my Chopper built Limit 45a.
6000 1st to 2nd
drops to 5400
5750 2nd to 3rd
through the traps 6200

Could go faster if I shifted but the column detent sucks so I let the car shift itself.

Great numbers!
What cam/boost?

Can you give us a quick rundown on your combo to see what that TE45a is working with?

RJC front mount
75 injectors
28/9 MT
Ported Champion GN1's
Stock Intake ported to the heads
Stock TB
Ported Doghouse.
Zimmerman built with a cam around 230
Boost averages 21 through the run.

RJC front mount
75 injectors
28/9 MT
Ported Champion GN1's
Stock Intake ported to the heads
Stock TB
Ported Doghouse.
Zimmerman built with a cam around 230
Boost averages 21 through the run.

Nice! What do you shift it at? Higher compression?