Bishir Crash Video

Originally posted by turbojimmy
Wow that does look narrow. Not sure a lot more width would have helped, though. That Nova couldn't have been more in the way - it almost looked deliberate.

Sue the Nova guy.

Jim

Not sure if I agree with that. A wider track would have let the Nova go further over to the left before hitting a wall. Chances are, the Nova would have hit the wall more head on, really scrubbing speed on. Lastly, Bishir could have at least had a little more time to see/react/evade the Nova. Not saying this was Bishir's fault, but the better of the two drivers/cars (Bishir) could have had more of a chance to avoid this. It looked almost like the Nova was like a ping-pong bouncing off the bumpers.

Bishir, I'm really sorry to see this. I can tell you must have put the brake pedal thru the floor board. Just be lucky that your reaction time needed some work or this really could have been ugly.

Good luck.

If this piece of work doesn't have any money and the lawyer thing or insurance doesn't work out, I would make him hand over the motor or anything else of value he may have. It can be re-sold and you won't be out all the cash.

Happened that way to my father one time at a track. A guy was dragging his car out on trailer after it was wrecked and not paying attention and a mangled fender caught my dad in the leg and dragged him. The guy was cool though as he took him to the hospital and apologized. Later he gave us a 289 that we needed as further amends.

Good luck and at least the car is fixable and you are ok;)

god, I feel for ya man. That was horriblw to watch.. One second you were smiling running your GN and the next standin on the brakes to avoid that moron.. :(

I was slowing down the whole time but I didn't lock up the tires until too late, plus it took a while for smoke to start coming off my tires when they were locked up. At that track, you basically have to really start slowing down when you hit those lights...

James

Somebody tell the jack@ss in the Nova that if he can't control a car running 87mph in the 1/8th, then he should retire from his racing career before he kills somebody.

Sorry 'bout the car...
S.

Originally posted by gn85
Not sure if I agree with that. A wider track would have let the Nova go further over to the left before hitting a wall. Chances are, the Nova would have hit the wall more head on, really scrubbing speed on.

It didn't look to me like the Nova hit the left wall and had actually started to straighten it out (albeit too late and not enough) when he got hit.

It's water under the bridge anyway....the track wasn't wider and what's done is done. I think that's probably most GN owner's worst nightmare. A lot of us run them for fun as part of the hobby and having to rebuild the car after something like that doesn't factor into the budget. As much as it sucks for bishir, scenarios like that are thankfully pretty rare.

After watching it over and over again, I share bishir's bewilderment. It looked like he had control of the car when he shot over into his lane. I'm not sure I buy the reverse story, but I can't think of any other plausible reason why he'd have done that. In any event, I wouldnt' think twice about seeking compensation from the guy. Racetrack or not, he was negligent. The fact that it was a "contest of speed" doesn't excuse one from exercising due caution.

Jim

FWIW...I'm not buying the "reverse story" either.
The guy threw his car into reverse and accidentally made a hard left into the other lane?
S.

Originally posted by Snorman
FWIW...I'm not buying the "reverse story" either.
The guy threw his car into reverse and accidentally made a hard left into the other lane?
S.

I'll never forget a similar experience when I still had my Mustang. I was blown, he had a turbo so it was a good match. He was there with a bunch of other guys in a turbo club. They were all pretty much a$$holes and this guy was no exception. We ran totally neck-n-neck - I ran a 12.6 to his 12.7 but he had more MPH. So, he got to the end first and immediately cut into my lane, I guess to say "ha! I beat you". I was already on the brakes so it was not a real close call but still scary. I guess to further make his point he raced away from me when he should have been braking for the 90 degree turn for the access road. He realized what he had done too late, braked hard and spun it into the marsh (folks that go to Island know what I'm talking about) and had to get towed out.

Maybe this guy thought he had a wider lead than he really had and was making some kind of point?

Jim

jimmy,
That's what I was thinking.
Did he throw on the 4-way flashers in ricer-esque fashion?
S.

Originally posted by Snorman
jimmy,
That's what I was thinking.
Did he throw on the 4-way flashers in ricer-esque fashion?
S.

I think he would have if Island wasn't so short. He got in trouble pretty quick and didn't have time to flash me.

Jim

Originally posted by striker_29
Because he's a freaking idiot:rolleyes: I know you were shook up, but I applaud you for not beating this butt pirates brains into the ground. There would be a bounty out on my ass.:mad:

Or a medal on your chest!:)

Watching that is scary. That car does look alittle boney and I think I wouldn't have liked being lined up with him either. I'm not a bodywork expert but your car does look fixable. Hope you get it back in action.

Where is the turn off on that track? Looks to me like he had complete control of the car when he made the lane change and was either performing a ricer move, or he cut over too early to get to the turn off. I would deffinately seek retribution in some kind of way, be it legally or not. The guy obviously is a scumbag for not at least apoligizing to you so its no holds barred.

Tried on Mac at work, tried on windows xp at home, wish people would post videos in a format we all could see!

SUE HIM

Well you got it on video. I would sue for the damages. Take that video to court and show the Judge. He would be able to see the driver was driving irresponseable even at the race track. If you can get some money it would be better then nothing.

Originally posted by smokin'6
Tried on Mac at work, tried on windows xp at home, wish people would post videos in a format we all could see!

Try using a Real One Player. I had a similar problem where it would only play the sound with Windows Media Player. So I played it on Real One and voila.

Download the DIVX codec pack and make sure you have Win Media Player 9 and it will play anything out there except .ram (realplayer) which you don't see much of anymore.

Well you got it on video. I would sue for the damages. Take that video to court and show the Judge. He would be able to see the driver was driving irresponseable even at the race track. If you can get some money it would be better then nothing.

I'm not sure of my rights in something like this so I probably should see what they are. I really don't want to sue him only to turn the check over to a lawyer. :( I've tried contacting the other driver and it seems as if he got out of town quickly and isn't answering his phones.

James

I think you're lucky to even find out who he was, I noticed they packed up and hauled ass right after they crashed you.

I don't think they have anything (money), It's just a bad deal all the way around.

It's something that could happen to any of us on any given day, it just sucks when it happens to someone you know..

I hope it doesn't sour you on Mobile Dragway, we have a good time there.