Billet head - design / build thread !!

Cstavro , We relocated ( slightly) both the exhaust port location and the bolt spread. We moved the port location away from the head bolt next to it, and spread the bolts apart to ease the tightness of installing the stud nuts when using 2" pipes right off the head.

Lonnie, I will be watching your project , as I am very intrested in trying a similar thing for a bracket car. Best of luck to you and if I can help jusdt let me know!!

Cstavro, I have some stage 2 copper exhaust gaskets and maybe some new aluminum adapter flanges that you can borrow for your layout plan if that would help you!! Let me know and i can mail you something out. Mike

thank you for your input! i'll look into screw interference with 1.75" headers. i've already mirrored the exhaust bolts from stock series III 3800 to clear the head bolts. if you look closely, one of the exhaust screws intersects the accessory hole :( i was thinking of making all the holes along the centre line, or rotating them clockwise, and possibly raising the flange.

the flange is currently at 53* from horizontal. i have a nice 2.5" port center line radius. i'm kind of limited to how i can modify it. honestly, i don't know how i'm going to deal with it at this time. we have quite different situations, so i don't need your pattern. if i can't have the port in the stage II location, then i can't see why i'd need its bolt pattern - it will need custom headers anyway. i'll think about it.

Chris

I went to PRI last week. I talked to some GMPP guys and told me that I couldn't get complete state 2 blueprints, only small bits and pieces. Today he sent me a short, non-technical article :/

Continuing with the Viper/Mopar theme, I raked the exhaust flange to 45*. It gives me a really nice port, good flange width, and the stock fastener hole pattern doesn't intersect the accessory bolt holes :) it looks a little funny because it undercuts the valve cover rail...and it works for the Viper! I lost many of my reference planes, and it won't rebuild without fixing it. I'm considering whittling away a lot of material to lighten the head, and make it look finished (which is a BIG rework).

Chris

Nothing really to report. Last november they ran the first production head , it quickly became the second prototype head!!! I went back to working after a 6 year retirement and have been working 50 - 65 hrs a week ever since,so basically Im wore out when I get home and do not get in the garage much. That put me out of the window of oppurturnity on the cnc machine and Im not sure exactly when it will begin again. Even if I got a set tomorrow ,the time and money involved with finishing the valve train , new intake , new zoomies , etc will keep this from getting finished this racing season. I am about to start work on a set of stage 2 heads so I can at least test a few other changes out that Im making this year. That would actually help things out when I get the billet ones done. Thanks for asking!! I will keep everyone posted if anything gets moving. Mike

Mike is pretty familiar with those Kevin Self heads as he sold them to me a while back. They were pretty stout in the 80's. Eventually, the splayed valve Chevy stuff would easily out run the Buicks. Rules allowed epoxy, welding, etc to maximize the ports, but prohibited raising the valve cover rail. GB

No updates!! Have most of the parts made for the intake manifold. Hoping that this winter this gets finished finally.
Im in machine shop prison! Also have not worked much at all so my funding would also hold things up. Things are looking up in the work dept , so maybe this will actually happen. Depressing as hell!! Mike

funding?

what parts ya got hiding away you can ditch to support the funding...?

im sure you got something one of us needs!