Better than the Scanmaster?

Will shoot video of install process, will include boost. Now want to know how to add oil pressure, they can accept I think up to four additional analog inputs, one of which for me will be boost, I'd like to add oil and fuel.
Joel

That's cool, Joel. If you can get inputs added into the ALDL adapter for things like boost, oil & fuel pressure, I would probably do the same thing as you and buy the cheaper UTCOMP-3 device, because I still would love having that LED read-out, and because ALDLdroid already does the logging. It would be great to log boost, oil & fuel pressure.

As I'm sure is old news to most here, I'll need to install sensors for oil and fuel. I have VDO oil pressure gauge set up which I will install the sensor from as long as it is analog which I think it is, I'll do the same for fuel just need to check if the gauge is analog as I bought an electronic fuel Gauge a bit ago but have not yet installed either.

I liked the idea of the system for the logging on a car thats not modified much. It gets muddled when you add on all this stuff. At that point you might as well go straight to the Powerlogger with the fast refresh rate. The cost would be almost the same and you get the benifit of the fast up dates and chip adjustibility. Combine that with the new scanmster g and it's even more appealing.

Totally understood pronto

But I've already got the oil and fuel sending units just not yet installed
For me I would be just as happy to see all on my tablet and logged as otherwise I'd have all the gauges in the car

As you know I've got the oil gauge in the cockpit but not yet installed the sender

If I install the sender I can use the tablet and no longer need for gauge in cabin. For my needs data every second or so should be more than good enough for me is expect?

I'd likely leave the boost gauge in cabin as it is already all hooked up but I can't really watch and drive at the same time anyways

For me having a log will be huge and seeing boost and rpm and kr all in one place in a log will be equally huge

I'm sure I'm missing some critical points that those like you and mark with much more experience intimately know but I guess I'm blinded by relatively easily obtained logs

I get that with the 160 rate I'm inherently limits but I'm hopeful I can get what I need with regards to clean tune on my relatively stock set up

All healthy discussions

Joel

Totally understood pronto

But I've already got the oil and fuel sending units just not yet installed
For me I would be just as happy to see all on my tablet and logged as otherwise I'd have all the gauges in the car

As you know I've got the oil gauge in the cockpit but not yet installed the sender

If I install the sender I can use the tablet and no longer need for gauge in cabin. For my needs data every second or so should be more than good enough for me is expect?

I'd likely leave the boost gauge in cabin as it is already all hooked up but I can't really watch and drive at the same time anyways

For me having a log will be huge and seeing boost and rpm and kr all in one place in a log will be equally huge

I'm sure I'm missing some critical points that those like you and mark with much more experience intimately know but I guess I'm blinded by relatively easily obtained logs

I get that with the 160 rate I'm inherently limits but I'm hopeful I can get what I need with regards to clean tune on my relatively stock set up

All healthy discussions

Joel

All well and good, most of the time a 1 to 1.5 second update rate is ok, but as most of us that have been using the various scan tools over the years, that slow scan rate con be devastating simply because of the huge holes of missing data. Especially dangerous when knock retard is trying to be captured.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk.[emoji252]

Oil pressure and water temp are important but no need to constantly look at those gauges. They are fine on the console. Boost and knock ie; Scanmaster need to be in your line of site so they are easily monitored when going wot. Personally I like boost right on the A pillar and Scanmaster on the dash.
The data will be useful but you have to understand there will be holes in the info. Even stock, those holes are significant.

I should mention the UTCOMP devices made by Reveltronics sample analog inputs 50x per second, and 5x per second for the display output. Furthermore, since it has a USB connection, it's possible to update the firmware when they update or improve the device.

I should mention the UTCOMP devices made by Reveltronics sample analog inputs 50x per second, and 5x per second for the display output. Furthermore, since it has a USB connection, it's possible to update the firmware when they update or improve the device.

Ok but the baud rate of the ALDL connector you're plugged into is no where near that, and to compound the slow baud rate the data stream is serial.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk.[emoji252]

I got the aldl Bluetooth scanner today tomorrow I'll pick up the db9 female plug for the boost splice in. Then will hook up with luck starting tomorrow. Then install fuel and oil pressure sensors. 1320 will need resistance measurements in order to instruct me which pins to connect them to. Will be relief to have oil pressure as I've been stalling on installing that one for no good reason. Will also be nice to have fuel pressure reading in the cabin.

Last edited:
Looking at the "pro" I don't see knock retard listed as a loggable parameter. No mention of it in the manual either. For the price and extra wiring needed, the Powerlogger is way easier to install and use. Combine it with a Scanmaster G and you has have a TB specific solution.

For the aldl Bluetooth scanner I will get all I get from ecm and then separate sensors for oil, fuel and splice into green wire for boost. I will give 1320 the resistance of the sensors and they'll tell me which pins to wire them into in the db9 connector.
Should be relatively straight forward and will be super useful to me to have all gauges in one place on windshield and logged.

1320 have been very responsive

Joel

I assume that means no ecm data directly available?
I get all that data already with the 1320 adapter and cellphone. I can get all that, and add boost, and hopefully fuel & oil pressure through one of the UTCOMP devices...all displayed on a convenient 3.2" OLED display instead of adding a bunch of expensive gauges.

For the aldl Bluetooth scanner I will get all I get from ecm and then separate sensors for oil, fuel and splice into green wire for boost. I will give 1320 the resistance of the sensors and they'll tell me which pins to wire them into in the db9 connector.
Should be relatively straight forward and will be super useful to me to have all gauges in one place on windshield and logged.

1320 have been very responsive

Joel
What is/are the sampling rate of your sensor inputs?

Hi mch
Not sure I understand the question
I will have vdo oil pressure sensor for analog gauge and glow shift electronic analog fuel pressure sensor on rail and stock map for boost

I understand I'll be restricted to data flow rate by the aldl's 160 baud rate.

The sensors I would expect to be close to realtime? Not intimate with their inner workings.

Not sure I answered your question?
Joel