Best wax for GN's

I was a Zaino fanatic until we discovered Jax Wax at the BPG a couple years ago. Zaino is great, but Jax Wax is so fast and easy to use you can do your car in minutes getting "Zaino" results. My WE4 has 24 year old paint and has been down the track over 600 times and still looks great.... with only 10 minutes of work. Jax Wax is SICK!

I now use my remaining Zaino... even the $18 a bottle detailer... on my wife's daily driver because the Jax Wax has spoiled me and I don't want to waste it on our daily drivers. We use the "Hawaiian" spray wax/detailer over a lightly misted wet car and it's crazy how nice the results are. :biggrin:

I searched Jax-Wax, which is it you use? You say it's so fast & simple, so are you talking the Body Shine spray stuff or the actual gel/semi-liquid type?:cool:

BTW.... I applaud you sir. A 10 second monster that can still bring home a local show trophy. Not a hacked up POS.

Zaino. Clay bar the car to get it smooth first. I have an assortment of their Z1, Z2, Z5 and Z6. Time consuming and not exactly cheap either, but it's good stuff.

I searched Jax-Wax, which is it you use? You say it's so fast & simple, so are you talking the Body Shine spray stuff or the actual gel/semi-liquid type?:cool:

BTW.... I applaud you sir. A 10 second monster that can still bring home a local show trophy. Not a hacked up POS.

Jax Hawaiian spray.....this stuff is perfect.

Thanks! It's fun to have a 10 sec. street car with AC and all the luxuries and at car shows sometimes they at first want to put me in a stock class until I open the hood :)

At the BPG a couple years go, there was a guy with a GN, Scott, selling Jax Wax. We could not believe how well he said it would work. My buddy bought a bottle of the Hawaiian spray, this one... Jax Wax Hawaiian Shine and we did a test on a freshly Zaino'd GN. On the trunk. We sprayed on Zaino Grand Finale, Meguires's Final detail and the Jax Wax Hawaiian... We were all major Zaino fans, and still think it's great if you like a lot of work... but the Jax Wax Hawaiian was by far the easiest and best! We all bought some and have used it ever since. I still have my $18 bottle of Zaino grand Finale but have become so spoiled by the Hawaiian spray, I use the Zaino spray now to wipe off bugs so I don't waste my Jax Wax spray. My car looked nice to start with so I just mist the car with a spray bottle of water and spray on a little Hawaiian and wipe it off and it looks fantastic. I use it on the glass and it has a Rainex effect and I also use it on my wheels. I spray it on my yellow GSX with 41 year old paint and people can't believe how shiny that old paint looks.

I've purchased the Jax Wax carnuba wax but have not used it as of yet because quite frankly, that spray works so well it's so ridiculously easy and I'd rather spend my time driving the car. I bought their swirl remover since several friends have had great success with that.

I used Zaino products for years and they are great! I also bought and used Griot's garage products and they work well also but are a major lot of work in my opinion. Easy to use products like Zymol and Meguires, etc, are OK but just don't provide that great hard working "Zaino'd look" that the Jax Wax does with no work!

I honestly believe Surf City NANA SEAL then NANO GLAZE is by far the best I've ever used/seen! Apply the SEAL and leave on overnight, then, micofiber off, then apply GLAZE and wipe off. UNBELIEVABLE! I do that once a year. Another good product that I will use on the 6th month is Eagle One Nanowax which is another good product becaue you can pretty much wax the paint, trim, and plastic WITHOUT ANY white residue.

Highly subjective subject that varies with individual tastes and preferences. Main thing is to use quality products in the right order and manner.

Wash with soap meant for automobiles
Clay
Wash again
Paint cleaner (if paint surface has been neglected)
Polish
Swirl Remover (optional depending on type of polish used)
Wax

Since my paint is fresh, and I use zaino, can an orbital polisher be used on these cars? I am a pretty decent detailer and use the orbital on my IROC and Vette and the daily drivers. Just worried about black and swirl marks. Last thing I want to do is have a perfect paint job, wax the car, and end up with swirl marks. Before the paint job I used Meguiars swirl mark removal and it did a decent job on this car.

Since my paint is fresh, and I use zaino, can an orbital polisher be used on these cars? I am a pretty decent detailer and use the orbital on my IROC and Vette and the daily drivers. Just worried about black and swirl marks. Last thing I want to do is have a perfect paint job, wax the car, and end up with swirl marks. Before the paint job I used Meguiars swirl mark removal and it did a decent job on this car.

An orbital can be used safely and would be preferred over a rotary. A rotary polisher should only be used for paint correction and by someone who is familiar working with it. Paint burns happen quickly with a rotary especially at the edges and corners. Since you have fresh paint, hitting it with an orbital (after the paint cures) is ok.

Depending on the type of polish used swirls and holograms may appear, especially on black but there are a lot of products out there that will take care of this, Menzerna, 3M, Meguiars even Zaino has a fine scratch and swirl remover. In reality swirl marks and micro scratches are inevitable on a black finish no matter how careful you are.

Don't buy into the Jax Wax hype. Someone on the site mentioned it last year and I bought some to give it a shot. Total waste. Zaino is the same, pretty much marketing hype that people buy into. Just stick with any good Carnauba paste (I prefer Maguiars #26 Yellow Wax), it will really bring out the depth in a nice black paint job. If you still have the original single stage, go over the car with some Meguiars #7 pure polish first and you cant go wrong. That stuff does wonders on single stage.

I tried many many waxes on my 87 GN with original laquer paint. After a few washes the black paint goes grey in areas, ecpecially the rear qtr and behind the side small window.

You have a lot of issues that fight the battle for a good polish or wax job on an original paint GN.

Other Turbo colors such as white don't have these issues.

First, in sunlight certain panels will look different than others example rear spoiler. filler panels cloud up in the garage like some sort of reaction to the air.

Equipment at Flint (Buick City) was old at best and moral among the employees was quite low since many would lose their job since the rear wheel drive platform was shutting down.

I even have a inner memo from 1986 that was not released to the pubic about paint issues on Grand Nationals.

Even ASC when they pulled the 547 from the assembly line had problems finding "suitable" donor cars with at least passable paint to start with....afterall its the exterior paint that your eyes see first.

Adding to the problems is even though these cars were assembled at Flint final assembly was done in Pontiac, Michigan reason the P is in your VIN number. At that location I can't recall what parts but certain exterior parts were painted there...so even the entire exterior was not painted by the same paint guns etc or even at the same time. And as any body shop will tell you black is not easy to apply and have it look "perfect"

I have owned several low mileage cars with original paint that you would swear one side was completely reshot as it looked so bad compared to the other side. Depending on the thickness of the paint wet sanding it is one avenue some owners pursue.

Then you have the chip guard portion at the bottom...if your lucky, it is fairly even on both sides.

So, I am just pointing out why in a good many cases some original paint black Turbo Regals no matter what product you use can only overcome so many possible problems that you may face.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

One reason...I own an original white Turbo-T with all original paint. Less problems.

I tried many many waxes on my 87 GN with original laquer paint. After a few washes the black paint goes grey in areas, ecpecially the rear qtr and behind the side small window.

You cant just put wax on the original single stage and expect it to last. Of course it will look nice and black right away but it will soon wear off. You have to polish the paint to take the "dead" layer off the top then you should have years of beautiful paint to work with if you keep wax on it. I have a 1990 Mustang 5.0 with the original single stage on it and when I bought it the car was grey as you said. After a good polishing session, I just wax the car twice a year and it looks better than any brand new factory clearcoat job. The car is daily driven by my fiance and it still looks new. Get that dead paint off the top and you'll have a completely different car. I would kill to have the original paint on my GN. My repaint is nice but I would love to have the original paint on my GN.

Since you have a clear coat, I'd recommend Zaino, hands down. I've used their products for over 10 years on all my cars (almost all my cars have been black) and its incredible. It takes some work and is kind of expensive, but if you really care (and it sounds like you do) the level of time of money you'll spend on Zaino won't be an issue. Figure between $60-100 (depending how crazy you get on their site) for all the product, and a full days work to apply it.

BTW I'm doing a thread on detailing my GN that might help you out. My car has original paint so its not a strict comparison (clear coat vs. single stage) but you can still see the process.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/sh...e-about-having-flawless-finish-check-out.html

everyone has a favorite.

me too !
I use turtle wax "Black Box"
it has pre wax cleaner, Black carnuba wax, and Black detailer.
here is a pic of my trunk lid in garage light.
I've tried most waxes, liked Mothers best, until I tried this .

no swirls, no white specs, easy to use, and I do section at a time, then take a nap. :eek:

Attachments

• black wax 001.jpg
    black wax 001.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 204
Zaino really doesn't take any more effort than any other wax. Once you have a good couple of coats on your car you can do a good Zaino wax job pretty fast actually. I use it on my G8 GT daily driver and I took my time and hit it with Zaino Fusion (their slightly abrasive wax) and hit it with the normal wax right after. I had the normal wax on and off in 30 minutes wih maybe two hours into the whole thing. Paint felt like a mirror after that. For being expensive, I spend about 50 bucks for a full set of product that I need from them which is the normal wax, the Fusion abrasive wax, a clay bar set, and detailer. Depending on the humidity where you live you may need the extra catalyst to help the wax dry faster. I would recommend Zaino for sure if you have nice paint, it will bring out flaws on bad paint. It really isn't that much harder than anything else and you will be impressed with the results. Like mentioned above though, you MUST follow the directions for best results. Mainly that is just wiping the right directions on the right panels. Hope that helps a bit!