Best "Top 3" modifications HOT AIR

I will post up tomorrow. And thanks for the link on the other post about the mat sensor placement. I don't know how I missed that thread. Anyways I have some data on how alky is effecting my inlet air temps. I will post a small word document tomorrow that I made showing you the effects. I'm not really impressed but it is making a difference. I'm spraying alotttt of alky and its not doing much. Would like to try 50/50 meth/water but not sure how well they mix and how consistant the tune will be. I'm not worried about octane right now but once I drive the car on 91 I will want 100% meth. Man I have a lot of work ahead of me. . And on a side note I would have more data if the stock mat sensor read higher then 255 deg. I have been able to keep them below that now but would like to see how high the temps where getting. Also not sure how fast it reacts but on my logs it looks to be pretty quick.

On of the best mods in the last couple of years is trhe TT WB tracking chip.
Of course, you need PL and the 87 ECM. :cool:

I will post up tomorrow. And thanks for the link on the other post about the mat sensor placement. I don't know how I missed that thread. Anyways I have some data on how alky is effecting my inlet air temps. I will post a small word document tomorrow that I made showing you the effects. I'm not really impressed but it is making a difference. I'm spraying alotttt of alky and its not doing much. Would like to try 50/50 meth/water but not sure how well they mix and how consistant the tune will be. I'm not worried about octane right now but once I drive the car on 91 I will want 100% meth. Man I have a lot of work ahead of me. . And on a side note I would have more data if the stock mat sensor read higher then 255 deg. I have been able to keep them below that now but would like to see how high the temps where getting. Also not sure how fast it reacts but on my logs it looks to be pretty quick.

Would love to see the data.
See if you can start a new thread so we can discuss and learn from it. :cool:

Will do. The data isn't to in depth as I was just taking it off my logs. Wish I would have wrote down where the alky settings where but didn't. I know my nozzle sizes and what the alky settings are. Anyways I will start a new thread.

Would like to try 50/50 meth/water but not sure how well they mix and how consistant the tune will be.

Don't know if you meant 'how well a mixture would work as an injection medium' or if you actually meant how well they physically mix together, but I'll go ahead and answer the latter, since I actually know the answer :) As for the first, I have no experience with alky injection on our cars (though I hope to soon).

If you're worried about how well methanol (CH3OH, or often shortened to MeOH, aka methyl alcohol) mixes with water (its 'miscibility' in technical jargon) you don't need to be at all. For the alcohol group their miscibility in water is very strongly correlated to the length of their carbon chain. Methanol, having pretty much the shortest carbon chain (only one) is completely miscible with water, meaning it makes stable solutions in all proportions (0.000001% meth to 99.9999999% meth). Even Ethanol (C2H5OH, aka ethyl alcohol) which is also completely miscible with water has a slightly longer carbon chain (at 2).

So basically, you never have to worry about any mixture of ethanol/methanol with water separating out into its component parts. the only way to separate the two once mixed is through distillation, and even then, its physically impossible to render them into their previous pure components, you'll always have a little water left in the alcohol, and a little alcohol left in the water.

As an interesting side note, partially due to their intense miscibility, if you have 100ml of ethanol and 100ml of water, and mixed them together, the resulting solution would NOT have a volume of 200ml, it would be slightly less (like maybe 190ml). the different sizes and polarities of the molecules allow for them to fill on the spaces between the other solute. Kinda like how if you have a a gallon of medium rocks and a gallon of sand and mix them together, you don't end up with two gallons, since the smaller sand will fill in some of the 'wasted space' around the rocks. Still, when you perform the mixing, especially in large volumes, it always throws you off to see a lot less fluid than your brain tells you should be there :)

Once I get a house and get the car out here I will have more time to play with it. 100% water 75/25, 50/50 etc. Would like to do more loging. At the track I don't need the octane of meth because I run good gas but I do want max cooling thus a mix might work better for me at the track. On the street I might be able to get away with 50/50 as I don't plan on running a lot of boost but still need the extra octane to help out the cheap 91

Sorry to take the post off topic. Now back to the orignal topic

my top 3

Ok well here are my choices however they are not in any order and I think they are all performance really.

Non-performance

1. Alum. Radiator which includes the dual fans and a 160 stat. My car run at 165-170 with this setup in 100 deg heat

2.87 ecm with a tt urbo tweak chip. This includes the lc-1 and a powerlogger of course.

3. Oil cooler adapter off and 87 and plumbed into the radiator, with this an rjc deep oil pan and a precision remote oil filter setup

And my 3 performance

1. Exhaust, headers, up-pipe, dp, cross over, and full exhaust back

2. Alky kit, goes without saying. It works

3. Heads, heads really wake these cars up.

And also a bigger turbo but we all know how that goes

Jerryl, i totally love the idea of cutting the heat shield for the tube!!! that is some serious thinking OUTSIDE the box!!! I have a couple of those to experiment with... how did you cut it though? plasma? i have the oxy/acetylene set-up at work, but not a really good cutting tip... Im totally going to do it though... i really wish I saw that vally pan gasket trick a year ago when i buttoned up the motor!!! lol

John:)

Valley pan idea is good. I didn't due it because I just pluged my pvc hole. No need for it anyways.

I used the valley pan trick just a few days back when installing my intake, it sounds like a genius idea. As for the heat-shield hole trick, I also did that modification. I had my dad ask the guys in the sheet-metal/fabrication shop at his work to do the actual cutting for me so it'd look nice and clean. He threw a fit, aghast that i'd consider 'hacking up' original pieces (he's used to his '64 Chrysler 300 where parts are hard to come by and originality is the name of the game). Then I showed him how the turbo oil drain tube installs, and how much easier it will be to line it all up with the hole there. After that he stopped huffin and took the heat shield in for me :)

Im going to have to buy a set of factory motor mounts for the time being (cant quite affort the HR parts yet...), and Im thinking about doing that little chain weld mod! That was a neat cheap trick... Should be on the list of top cheapies!!!

That is another thread! Cheapest simple mods!!!

lol

Jerryl, i totally love the idea of cutting the heat shield for the tube!!! that is some serious thinking OUTSIDE the box!!! I have a couple of those to experiment with... how did you cut it though? plasma? i have the oxy/acetylene set-up at work, but not a really good cutting tip... Im totally going to do it though... i really wish I saw that vally pan gasket trick a year ago when i buttoned up the motor!!! lol

John,
You should try the O-ring mod. ;)
That is one of my favorites! Makes installation so easy and simple!

Post #7 - Torch.
It was brutal . . . . Could not get the D*** plasma to work that night.

Valley pan idea is good. I didn't due it because I just pluged my pvc hole. No need for it anyways.

Wish I could plug my PCV, but on a DD, sitting in traffic it is not a bad idea ot have one of those PCV things. Maybe someday.
PS: GREAT list in your post! :cool:

I used a die grinder to cut my mounting bracket. The rounded the corners after I made 4 straight cuts. Then powdercoated it

Jerry... did you forget all that work you did for me Eons ago???:wink:

Bored TB-O-RINGED!!!.... Bored/tapered compressor housing.... Looks awesome!!!

Hopefully they work well!

Attachments

• turbo stuff 001.jpg
    turbo stuff 001.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 760
  • turbo stuff 004.jpg
    turbo stuff 004.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 734
  • turbo stuff 015.jpg
    turbo stuff 015.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 762
  • turbo stuff 025.jpg
    turbo stuff 025.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 744
Jerry... did you forget all that work you did for me Eons ago???:wink:
Bored TB-O-RINGED!!!.... Bored/tapered compressor housing.... Looks awesome!!!

Hopefully they work well!

Yeah I remember now. ;)
I have done quite a few projects throuigh the last couple of years to help people out, I forgot about that one.