Best "Top 3" modifications HOT AIR

9.JPG
6.JPG
6.JPG9.JPG Throw me down on another vote for Turbo upgrade, Exhaust and Alky. In a BIG way. Love the perf these three gave me. Of course I did many of the other (necessary) things too but when I did these three I noticed seat-of-the-pants type measurements after tuning.

Non-Perf would be interior paint (silver trim painting on dash to refresh orig), custom dress ups (shifter / ashtray plates / pullstrap covers / A-Piller guages) and new interior (carpet, headliner, seatcovers). Its like a new car after the interior gets done!!!!

Its been a little while since I checked this one, great thread, gobs of useful info, very grateful. I would like to add, something I did whilst I did the rebuild, and although this is definitely not a weekend project or anything 99% of us are qualified to do, it is a recommended mod, if you have the extra scratch and or the opportunity ie: the top of your motor is accessible. When I did my motor rebuild, I had already planned to powdercoat the valve covers and intake manifold, along with the motor overhaul and upgrade (camshaft, pistons, bore, etc.).

I, just like most other newbies, was becoming aware of all the modification opportunities possible on a hotair GN. This one is just simple motor math. Allow the air I'm cramming into the motor to flow more freely so I can cram more air. I delayed the rebuilding of the top end of the motor a little so I could put some cash toward porting and polishing the heads and the intake so I could squeeze as much horsepower out of the motor itself before tucking it away in the car and hopefully never having to touch it for many years to come. I can say that I'm glad I did.

If you have a good, qualified, individual perform this work for you, and its done properly, you will squeeze and extra 20-25 hp from the motor alone. Which is a huge gain given the limits to what can be performed overall, and the given limits of the motor itself. Now bear in mind I had my stock heads and intake done for around $800 bucks. This is the low end of what you would expect to pay to do the stockers. I personally would recommend, if you were seriously considering doing this on your car, to save the extra cabbage,(around 2k) to purchase the aftermarket aluminum heads from champion which are of course expertly done and either sending in your intake to be done (champion will do this as well I believe) or purchasing one second hand privately. Or of course the option of purchasing one new. Many dealers associated with this site, and members alike, have these items easily available for you. Obviously a project of this magnitude requires you to do your do dilligence, but everything can be easily found.

So the moral of the story is, if you happen to be working on some or all of the outer mechanicals and pretty much have relatively easy access to the top end of the motor, and you want to find a few more ponies. Seriously consider spending the coin and having this done. Not an easy mod by any stretch of the imagination, and not one that is readily seen or noticed by anyone, but certainly something you will feel, and ultimately feel good about knowing, that your getting the most out of your little 231. I know some of us are here to rip up the track, some to cruise and show, and like myself, street and drive it into the ground while demanding respect from ricers (I have an s4 too btw, that's not meant to be a jab). All of us have different wants and needs, and this fit right into both of those categories for me very easily.

Sorry for the war and peace post, please forgive me. I have and continue to learn so much from this forum, and for that I am eternally greatful. Hope this adds some useful insight and inspiration.

Best mod...turn into 86/87 top end....he he
True, but if your a purist and want to keep the car in as close to original condition as possible, thats pretty much turning it into an 86-7 year model. Granted you can save the original components and just put them back if necessary. It is a relatively great way to up the anti on a hotair, or should I say, solve the problem of hotair!

i have read this hole thread and man alot of info... smh.... i feel like just switching to inter cooled motor. but now with champion maken a intake for a our cars and i do have a inter cooler and a 87 turbo lined up along with ecm amd tweek chip installed already and electric fan. im so confused do i switch motors or do i stay with what i got... grrrr... why is this so hard to decide....

i have read this hole thread and man alot of info... smh.... i feel like just switching to inter cooled motor. but now with champion maken a intake for a our cars and i do have a inter cooler and a 87 turbo lined up along with ecm amd tweek chip installed already and electric fan. im so confused do i switch motors or do i stay with what i got... grrrr... why is this so hard to decide....

If you want to convert because you get laughed at, swap . . . . Before you do,see if anyone who laughs or makes fun of you will help you, or add some $$ for the conversion. :)

We all have different and/or convoluted goals and budgets for or cars in mind, and it is typically very hard to get HA help anywhere because most people have never dug deep into a HA, or never seen one up close . . . . The result are inferred statements from the good people who are trying to help you; “If you were IC’d, I could help you . . . “

I will tell you this . . . If you add the IC, things will still not work “just like an IC’d car”. Those peeps trying to help will still be scratching their head. Only few (Many on this board) will be able to solve the conversion puzzle. If you searched this board, you have probably 3 weeks of serious reading on JUST this subject.. You will know what works for YOU after you take time to read and understand some of it.

If it was my $$, I would get ALL the tuning tools (WB, FP gage, PL, SM), and learn how to tune. If it runs like it should in current state, add whatever parts you want. If not, you are asking for compounded problems on a very long frustrating and lonely road ahead.

Keep reading and you will see that some of the experts here have probably run much faster in HA form than you ever want to.

One thing I will guarantee you; Neither a HA nor IC’d will run worth a crap without a decent tune, and neither are cheap to build.
These cars have taught me a lot about patience. I just can’t say that enough. Good luck with your decision.

PS:
I had some spare time last night and read few threads in this section . . . . “WOW” is all I got to say. I really admire some of your for having the patience and continue to spend your time after getting bit by a rabies infected stray dog.

One thing I will guarantee you; Neither a HA nor IC’d will run worth a crap without a decent tune, and neither are cheap to build.
These cars have taught me a lot about patience. I just can’t say that enough. Good luck with your decision.

I couldn't agree more!!!!!

best part about a hot air in my opinion. you can show up to a turbo regal gathering and be unique or any car gathering and be unique.
how many are actually still running,restored, or maintained in original condition???

yes i agre with you on that.... im the only hot air in my whole car cru everyone else has 86/87 gnz. so i am kinda my own person... would love to make my car a bit faster but hey working with what i got and loving it. intercooler along with a 87 turbo is my first steps, and then alky injection next. maybe the champion intake and see if they make heads (champion ) as well for my car. not to mention up grading the fuel pump in the tank.

almost got my hands on a 83, what turbo is the best upgrade? wanting a 13 sec street car. as soon as i sign off on the title exhaust shop i go 3 inch
sweet! and this is why i passed on the 84' in mint condition for $4,200, in favor of an 87' GN for..well let's just say a lot more$$! :nailbiting: the 84' had all the regular mods, but just couldn't touch the punch of the almost stock 87'! the difference is astounding! :)!! If i bought the ''hot air'', i would've put the 86'-87' top end/ intercooler on it, IMO that's the only way to make the ''hot air'' as fast as the 86'-87' (basically make it into one) ``:sneaky:

sweet! and this is why i passed on the 84' in mint condition for $4,200, in favor of an 87' GN for..well let's just say a lot more$$! :nailbiting: the 84' had all the regular mods, but just couldn't touch the punch of the almost stock 87'! the difference is astounding! :)!! If i bought the ''hot air'', i would've put the 86'-87' top end/ intercooler on it, IMO that's the only way to make the ''hot air'' as fast as the 86'-87' (basically make it into one) ``:sneaky:
Your knowledge of hot air cars is obviously quite limited.....

So what you gonna do when a HA car passes you down the track. :D

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app