BEST STOCK LOCATION SHIFTER, PICS?

NOONG

Thinking about going the racket shifter route and wondering what you guys have done and what would you do if you could do it over? Any fitment issues?

There's a bunch of options. Some older threads show shifters that are no longer made but if you do a search you can see many install photos and several nice write ups.

Any one you install, it's a "make it up as you go along" job.

And you can make it look as nice as you want it to, if you have the detail skills and patients to go that far.

But there is no one set of instructions for a TR install on any of them.

I drew an image in my brain. Then I made it look that way. It was a bitch.

Leave the stock shifter in it...put it in D...and let it do its thing. Mod the governor to get the trans to shift at the desired RPM.

B+M quicksilver ratchet ,
remove front floor bracket , bolt it to floor , make a hole for cable , little trimming under console plate and top plate drops right back on
DSC05791.JPG

Thanks fellas with your impute we decided to go with the B&M and we will see how it fits. Want to fit into the stock console.

Attachments

• 80706.jpg
    80706.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 77
SHIFTER1.jpg
SHIFTER2.jpg

Thanks fellas with your impute we decided to go with the B&M and we will see how it fits. Want to fit into the stock console.
That’s a tough one to do. The Reverse Lock out lever and the arched gate plate won’t let it sit below the stock console plate. It will need cut.
I made my plate years and years ago.

View attachment 322281View attachment 322282

That’s a tough one to do. The Reverse Lock out lever and the arched gate plate won’t let it sit below the stock console plate. It will need cut.
I made my plate years and years ago.
Coach, did you have to cut the console to mount the shifter that way? I was thinking of fabbing a new top plate and mounting the shifter on top to avoid hacking the stock console. I did that years ago with the old BM street stick and regretted it immediately. Luckily I traded the whole setup for a mint stocker and changed it back. I really like the way that looks slightly recessed.

Coach, did you have to cut the console to mount the shifter that way? I was thinking of fabbing a new top plate and mounting the shifter on top to avoid hacking the stock console. I did that years ago with the old BM street stick and regretted it immediately. Luckily I traded the whole setup for a mint stocker and changed it back. I really like the way that looks slightly recessed.
Yes, I had to butcher it up. I bought a damaged console and restored it. It looks way better then when I started. The saving grace now is....you can buy a reproduction piece now, and cut it.
Aftermarket shifters are a pain in the ass to put in these cars. I have had a design on my drawing board for a few years to help this, but it just doesnt work without chopping up the console.
I just sold that entire set up at Richard Clark's in May. I no longer own it.

heres a b+M stealth pro ratchet i put in under stock shift plate

Attachments

• 0111172123.jpg
    0111172123.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 151
Got mine in finally!
fc4e4c83450f4486d0dd6fe7a480dcd7.heic
373fb5d27228467bb6d8f48b0aca047f.heic

What do you think. Trans brake button on handle and line lock button on the plate. Had to make a new face plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you need to reverse it , brake on panel line lock on ball

for one you need to shift with line lock applied to do a proper burnout , going to be hard to hold the button down and shift
and when on tbrake you dont want hand on shifter because launches can be violent and cause you to pull back the handle on the hit
i hold tbrake with thumb on panel and then just after launch reach up and shift

Lol, my friend did that with a stock shifter. Didn't realize he pulled it back from 3rd to 2nd on launch. Over reved in 2nd, spun a bearing.

Is it a double tap from Park to Reverse?
yep a bit annoying and the handle doesnt move from where it starts so its difficult to know what gear you're in ..not my choice for a shifter , i had to put gear indicators on the dash bezel and a needle on the cowl to be ableto tell what gear it was in ..silly but it worked

Attachments

• 0328171248.jpg
    0328171248.jpg
    637.1 KB · Views: 73
That’s definitely unique. I know a lot of 80’s GM cars had a little gear shift indicator located in a window thingy which was located on the steering column, very close to where you have yours.
Your setup looks nice for using the stock console.