BEST STOCK LOCATION SHIFTER, PICS?

I used the B&M Megashifter. To simplify the explanation of how I installed it, I basically installed it as if there was never a factory stock console to begin with. Then I simply installed the factory console over the top and through it.

But it actually was a little more complicated than this description in practice.

cool pic 7.jpg
cool pic 6.jpg
IMG_1369.JPG

yep a bit annoying and the handle doesnt move from where it starts so its difficult to know what gear you're in ..not my choice for a shifter , i had to put gear indicators on the dash bezel and a needle on the cowl to be ableto tell what gear it was in ..silly but it worked
I like that.

I am really debating which one Ilike more. I love the stock look with the stock modified console and red reverse lockout lever but don’t like the double tap, cutting of the console and lack of gear shift indicator. I really like the Megashifter as it looks like it could be stock (if you don’t know what the stock one looks like), looks really serious, fits perfectly and has a gear shift indicator. I don’t like that it is like a foot (it seems like it) higher than the stock shifter.

I am really debating which one Ilike more. I love the stock look with the stock modified console and red reverse lockout lever but don’t like the double tap, cutting of the console and lack of gear shift indicator. I really like the Megashifter as it looks like it could be stock (if you don’t know what the stock one looks like), looks really serious, fits perfectly and has a gear shift indicator. I don’t like that it is like a foot (it seems like it) higher than the stock shifter.

I believe I could of mounted it much lower into the console. If you notice closely in my photos, I used the console supplied with the Megashifter through the stock console. I had to fabricate my own mounting plate on my trans hump because my Buick was originally a bench seat car. These things added the additional 1-1/2 inch of height. But I have seen them installed so that the boot and trim plate sit directly on the factory finish panel.

Maybe if mounted to your factory shifter platform it would sit lower? Others might chime in.

I kind of like the additional height though. It works perfectly with my console cushion. The cushion was hijacked from my bench seat and is mounted to the the back of the console so that it swings up and down like it did when it was stock.

One thing I don't like with some installations, the shifter when in park is very close to the dash. Some shifters are too long. If you do a Google search for gn interiors and check the images more pictures of aftermarket shifters can be seen. If you expand to g body you'll find even more.

Will do. Tomorrow afternoon. If the weather holds up, I'll be taking it out for a little local car show and some cruising.

But remember..........My example may not be even close to how low you can drop it. There is plenty of play in the height in the install of the trim boot and chrome finish trim plate as well. If the shifter is installed lower in the console, and the plate is in the same location, the flexibility and ribbing on the boot will allow it to compress further down.

It's all a matter of detail.

I don't know how much these other guys love their shifters. But I can tell you that this thing is the best one for my application by far. I have a 3 speed reverse, manual valvebody 400 with a trans-brake. But I used it on my 200 before this. I think it came with multiple indicator lenses for different applications. But I lost my replacements. I called and ordered the the one for my 400 when I converted.

It's strait up when in park. It has a nice short throw from park to reverse. From there it still only stands at a mild angle and ratchet returns to the same angle on every shift. The shifts have a positive firm feel. One movement forward and back for all gears is nice. No need to engage any additional handles or pulls for different positions. And when moving it into park, just pull up on the "T" with your middle fingers.

Indicator system is available from Dakota Digital, or Lokar..
A pan rail mtd sender, a "controller box", and a cable. You can make your own LED indicators, or use the DD/Lokar bezel, or the bare LED board they have.
I use a "Wes Box", that our electronics guru makes for us, instead of the pan rail sender. This is done on my car, as it's a 4L80E.
It simply processes the trans signal, sends it to the DD box, and then that controls the indicator.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=401/mode=cat/cat401.htm

Indicator system is available from Dakota Digital, or Lokar..
A pan rail mtd sender, a "controller box", and a cable. You can make your own LED indicators, or use the DD/Lokar bezel, or the bare LED board they have.
I use a "Wes Box", that our electronics guru makes for us, instead of the pan rail sender. This is done on my car, as it's a 4L80E.
It simply processes the trans signal, sends it to the DD box, and then that controls the indicator.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=401/mode=cat/cat401.htm
Damn! Why do I miss out on all this cool shit?

I would have loved to have used one of those simple rectangular indicators on my console shifter trim plate instead of the supplied slide pointer.

Can you give me an approximate height of the top of the shifter from the top of the console?
Never made it to the garage yesterday.. Unpredictable weather and some aches and pains once again preventing me from enjoying a day with my Buick.

But I didn't forget. I'll get you that number ASAP.

Damn! Why do I miss out on all this cool shit?

I would have loved to have used one of those simple rectangular indicators on my console shifter trim plate instead of the supplied slide pointer.

I have an "inside track", as the shop I work at, does efi harnesses, Vette dashes, custom installs of the harnesses, DD dashes, etc.:cool: