Best RTV for exhaust manifolds?

kyle41005

Just got my exhaust manifolds back from machine shop. Wanting to bolt on but wanted to ask what rtv have people used that they can vouch for. I was considering 3 different ones. All permatex. High temp red I think is good for 650 degrees, ultra copper is about 700 and they also have a "muffler sealant" rated for 2000. Anyone ever use these or another product they can recommend? And before anyone tells me to use gaskets, I can't. Motor is a 78 and they don't make any performance gaskets for this motor. Just ones that have a reputation for blowing out which is why I am going gasketless and had manifolds machined.

Ultra copper and have the mating surface smooth then use even torque to tighten them down.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

if they were at the machine shop I would expect a good flat surface.

isn't that all GM used

How does ultra copper last if it only rated for 700 degrees?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

How does ultra copper last if it only rated for 700 degrees?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
The flange does not get as hot as the exhaust gases. The coolant in the heads and all the iron or aluminum pull heat away from it too fast to build that kind of heat.

Use whatever silicone/RTV you have that hasn't solidified yet. It's not going to matter.

The end result comes from the actual application, not what color dye the goop has in it.

If you just have to have colors, get the red. The red dye is rated higher than the copper dye.

Not that it really matters. Anything is better than nothing and the factory didn't use anything.