Best Replacement AGM Battery

I like seeing a 6 year post come back.
Hope OP and more bring use up to date on their thoughts on the AGM battery , and maybe some AGM vs NiCd vs Lithium.

I've used these types of batteries since 2009 with great luck. My daily driven Talon has used the Shuriken BT35 for years in the winters etc and it's been great. Every 3 full years I swap it just for the hell of it around Winter to not get stuck on a crazy cold day. Make sure the born date isn't from years ago, I prefer 6 months tops.

My GN has the small Shuriken BT-28 now but I used to have the BT-20 with no issues. The BT-28 started this winter in the garage 2x a week sitting. I'm in IL.

Optimas are a pos... Don't buy one.... Get the odyssey/sears... Whichever one you prefer. You can't go wrong.
X2, I agree! I've had a Red Top for about 4 years before it let go.:poop: At the price i paid, it was my first and last one. (n)I've replaced it with a good old Interstate and no problem since!
Claude.

Make sure it's NOT made by Johnson Controls, they are making most batteries like, Optima, Die Hard, Auto Zone, Advance Auto, Checker and O'reily's and a few more and they all suck. I run a Duracell in my beast, also in my Pontiac GXP. It might not be the best by some reviews, but it holds up to all the electronics I have in it including 2 Big amps, 10 speakers, DVD and more.It has already outlasted my last 2 Yellow top bullshit Optima's made in Mexico
Just got mine today. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I know ... old thread. I'll just throw in my $0.02 about the Die Hard Platinum AGM. I bought on probably 8 or 9 years ago becuase my car sits a lot and I had heard that an AGM will take the abuse of being run dead and coming back to life better than a standard lead acid battery. I did not find that to be true. The car sat for a couple of years and the battery was dead flat. I put a charger on it (not a specific AGM charger) and it started pushing acid out of the top of the "sealed" battery. Obviously I had never added water or anything so it wasn't overfilled. I tried it a couple of different times after removing it from the car and it would push acid out of the battery. Never came back close to 12V even using a charger recommended for AGM batteries. I ended up taking it in for a core charge. I think I paid $180 for it thinking it would last as long as the original Delco. Not even close. I just run a WalMart lead acid in it now. I check the battery with a load tester in the spring and if it passes, I don't worry about it. I won't buy another AGM thinking it will last longer in a seldom used car. I might buy one for my daily driver.

To update-my Deka Intimidator did well up until I took it to a mechanic and told him that the car could not sit without a battery trickle charger or disconnect the battery. Well didn't happen and it died around late 2018. Car then (now) has a NAPA Legend Premium (not really my choice to be put in) and my alternator died and wiped that out REALLY quick, in about 2 days. So now I will be researching again which battery to get. My research won't be as exhaustive as the last time.

Oh and BTW if you have an AGM battery you will need a Battery Tender PLUS, not just a Battery Tender.

This information is for the 34/78 dual post batteries. So the Red Top Optimas are still getting mixed reviews (way more good than bad) are about $200 and have a 3 year warranty-looks like O'Reilly sells them. Odyssey 34/78 are $300 ($430 B+Bulbs), apparently a really good HD quality battery, 4 year warranty. Very few have had an issue with the side post. AutoZone sells them, but looks like shipping only. People seem to have this one for a while past the 4 year mark. It looks like East Penn makes the Deka Intimadator, O'Reilly Super Start Platinum, NAPA AGM. Walmart Everstart are regional meaning that they could carry East Penn or JCI. Equal to or possibly a little better than the Odyssey is the NorthStar/X2. Sold by Batteries Plus Bulbs. $315 and 5 year warranty. So my opinion would be X2 for a better battery and better warranty or O'Reilly/NAPA for more locations and 33% less. But the X2 does look real nice. HTH

I don't have my original NAPA receipt, as per their website, but do have my mechanic's receipt. Will see if I could get a new one and keep everyone posted.

So got a replacement for the bad NAPA Premium (non-AGM). It was a 2 year total replacement 84 month pro rated. It looks like East Penn makes NAPA batteries. Pretty much the same specs as the OReilly Super Start Premium. HTH

Napa is still made in USA, i use them in a fleet of trucks and they hold up as good as any. Have them in both Buick's and 3 daily drivers......all is good.