Best Replacement AGM Battery

GNICETRY

Cat&wife post starter
After 11 years my Red Top Optima crapped the bed. It just got up and died HARD. NO signs of going. I was very happy with it. I ran that sucker down to about 5V once and brought it back with a battery tender. I do love the red top too. Wanted to get another one but it looks like Johnson Controls is now making them in Mexico and they suck. Really really bad reviews from people. I am not going to chance it and buy another one so let me save you guys and gals about 4 hours worth of AGM battery searches. The Red Top is 38lbs. This is the 34/78 battery class.

In general the best battery is the Odyssey Extreme
Item #:
34-78-PC1500DT-A. It has a red top and goes for about $270. It is also pretty heavy at 53lbs. 880CCA

The Sears Die Hard Platinum P4 34/78DT is the same battery just repackaged. 850CCA. It comes in around $220. Also 53lbs. Grey top and will read backwards when in just like the Odyssey (positive on right side). They are both made by Enersys in Reading , PA.

Next up is the Deka Intimidator EAS9A78DT. 750CCA. It goes for about $170 and weighs 43lbs. The newer batteries are black, not yellow as in most pictures. CARQUEST has the same battery repackaged as the NGT Extreme. 775CCA. I was quoted $185 for one. Their website SUCKS. It is made by East Penn Mnfg. out of PA.

Is the Odyssey $40 better than the Deka. I think if you throw in the warranty of the Odyssey it is pretty impressive. But I really don't want to add more weight to the Buick so will go with the CARQUEST NGT. Hope this helps some people for the winter.

One more thing I learned is that you should really have a battey charger and keep the battery topped off when not in use. The battery tender and CTEK multi chargers are pretty awesome.

I just got a redtop from a junkyard for $50. It seems to work pretty well. No way in hell I'd pay $214 plus tax for one though.

If it's a pre-early 2009 that should be the good one. Seems like an 8-11 year life for those.

Optimas are a pos... Don't buy one.... Get the odyssey/sears... Whichever one you prefer. You can't go wrong.

I've got the baddest one that oriely sells...its yellow and a AGM. Had it for 4 years so far so good

I've got the baddest one that oriely sells...its yellow and a AGM. Had it for 4 years so far so good

Pretty sure you have the Superstart Extreme AGM. That is a Deka Intimidator repackaged for OReilys. That is what I just bought from Carquest. One of the best you could buy. I wish mine was yellow. All the new ones are black/grey.

Did another 2 hours of research and it seems that the Deka Intimidators (and rebadged) are actually putting out more CA than advertised :)

After 11 years my Red Top Optima crapped the bed. It just got up and died HARD. NO signs of going. I was very happy with it. I ran that sucker down to about 5V once and brought it back with a battery tender. I do love the red top too. Wanted to get another one but it looks like Johnson Controls is now making them in Mexico and they suck. Really really bad reviews from people. I am not going to chance it and buy another one so let me save you guys and gals about 4 hours worth of AGM battery searches. The Red Top is 38lbs. This is the 34/78 battery class.

In general the best battery is the Odyssey Extreme
Item #:

This couldn't be further from the truth and is an example of someone parroting what they heard or read on another site without good data to support the claim. JCI operates manufacturing plants around the world including Mexico where most recently the lead smelting operations have moved to Monterrey in Northern Mexico due to EPA restrictions. The Optima battery is actually still manufactured in the US and in Mexico. The basic design of the Optima series batteries has not changed for years. Typically when people mistreat a battery and it fails, they conjure up stories to justify the misuse and failure. Unlike China in many cases, quality in Mexico is often better than it is here in the US. I work for Johnson Controls engineering in the AE experience group which has very little to do with the battery division but have colleagues that work in the power solutions group. There are other good AGM batteries out there but how can you say the Odyssey Extreme is the best without data from large sample groups? You will shorten the life of any battery by exposing it to heat, vibration, or not maintaining it's charge when a vehicle is in storage.

FYI - I have a red top in my truck that I purchased in 09' and it's still going strong. The thing sits in the garage unused most of the time.

I have the sears diehard platinum odessy my car sat in an impound yard all winter...battery completely dead...prior to that I kept it charged with a tender.... when I got the car back I charged it and it came back to life strong as ever...I've had numerous optima red tops and regular batteries and have never seen a battery come back the way this one has..... plus it has a 6 year free replacement....

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

This couldn't be further from the truth and is an example of someone parroting what they heard or read on another site without good data to support the claim. JCI operates manufacturing plants around the world including Mexico where most recently the lead smelting operations have moved to Monterrey in Northern Mexico due to EPA restrictions. The Optima battery is actually still manufactured in the US and in Mexico. The basic design of the Optima series batteries has not changed for years. Typically when people mistreat a battery and it fails, they conjure up stories to justify the misuse and failure. Unlike China in many cases, quality in Mexico is often better than it is here in the US. I work for Johnson Controls engineering in the AE experience group which has very little to do with the battery division but have colleagues that work in the power solutions group. There are other good AGM batteries out there but how can you say the Odyssey Extreme is the best without data from large sample groups? You will shorten the life of any battery by exposing it to heat, vibration, or not maintaining it's charge when a vehicle is in storage.

FYI - I have a red top in my truck that I purchased in 09' and it's still going strong. The thing sits in the garage unused most of the time.

Let me premise my post with; my main intent is to help people out here. I spent now about 6 hours doing AGM battery research for my Buick and said to myself let me share some information and help some people out. I have been buying Interstate batteries for about 15 years. I have recommended Interstate Battery (non-AGM) to people for about 15 years. Interstate Battery is owned by Johnson Controls. The reason, and ONLY reason, I recommend them is because they work. I just bought a MegaTron+ for my DD. They have took a beating from me and still performed well. I have nothing against Johnson Controls, or Mexico, for that matter. If a product is made by mentally ill Honduran 3rd graders, and it is superior, then I will purchase it. More power to them. And unlike a growing minority of people in this country, at least they have jobs. But I digress.
I am trying to stay edifying here and really won't pick your post to pieces and will not make this an attack on you. About how you say they ARE made in Mexico and then how nothing is 'further from the truth'. About how Mexico has better quality controls than China and even the US :rolleyes: . About how the quality of the battery has not changed (see below links) and about how you don't even work for the battery division but have colleagues in the power solutions group (which qualifies you). I say that the Odyssey Extreme is the best because that is what a huge majority of people are saying (see links below). That IS data from large sample groups. And then comes the 'stirring the Kool Aid' company lines;
1- Typically when people mistreat a battery and it fails, they conjure up stories to justify the misuse and failure. AND
2-You will shorten the life of any battery by exposing it to heat, vibration, or not maintaining it's charge when a vehicle is in storage.
I, along with dozens of others (see links below), have mistreated my 2002 Optima Red Top and it had never failed. I am not conjuring up any stories. I had that battery for 11 years and it died an honorable death in my garage. I ran it down to nothing once and it came back. I lost my alternator and drove home at night over 45 miles on battery only. Charged it, it came back. Those 2 statements that you make didn't apply to the old Optima Red Tops, and that is confirmed by the links below. Those 2 statements don't also apply to the Odyssey Extreme and the Deka Intimidator and rebadges. So please focus on the subject at hand, deteriorating RedTop quality, and stop blaming the consumer/user.
In one of the links below there is a guy called OptimaJim and I really felt bad for the guy at first. People were tearing him up about the battery. As I read the post (22 pages) I saw a pattern. He did not really give any data or information about the new RedTops. He just used a lot of rhetoric and fluff. Johnson Controls, or any manufacturer, should provide the data as to why people should buy their product. It is not the other way around. Optima should show data and evidence and results as to why people should shell out $200 for a battery. Until it does, as one poster had said; the jury is out and Optima is guilty by public opinion.
Polly want a cracker:D

Old RedTop reliability:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/159010-optima-battery-alternative.html
Downhill from there:
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/sitemap/t-158687.html

http://www.offroadsc.com/archive/index.php/t-2756.html

Hope you have a lot of time for this one:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/electrical-wiring/913442-batteries-optima-alternatives.html

http://www.sears.com/diehard-platin...oup-size-34-78dt-price/p-02850090000P?prdNo=2

http://ls1tech.com/forums/racers-lounge/1448061-optima-made-mexico.html

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f102/optima-batteries-made-mexico-215667/

And PS I bought the CARQUEST rebadged Deka Intimidator.

I just bought an optima red top for my GN about 3-4 months ago. Got it on sale at napa for 160 clams. It has been discharged enough to fail to crank the car once (freakin alarm system), but since disconnecting the flashy thing on the alarm, all has been good. Hopefully it'll last awhile. Wish I would've done some research before buying it. I always thought Optimus were the shiznit of batteries.

I'll keep you posted as to its lifespan.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Duralast Platinums are AGM batteries. Seem to be rebranded Deka's (like the Deka Intimidator repackaged for OReilys) . Though I have seen where they are stated to be made by Johnson Control.

Any reason not to run a yellow top? I know it's deep cycle, but it looks like it's meant for auto use still.

yea the old optima's last ahwile, i have one that i put in the buick back in 01, put it in my truck when the buick went down for rust repair and paint 5 years ago and its still goin strong.

hello people; I didn't get a AMG bat. but maybe the next but I do like a dual post bat. in a TB. I'd see if there was a AMG with D/P and get it.
IBBY

Any reason not to run a yellow top? I know it's deep cycle, but it looks like it's meant for auto use still.
Been running my yellow top for over 5 years now. It's been run down to 7-8 volts numerous times. Still going strong.

I just replaced my 6 month old Advance AGM battery. I have a tester made by a company called Solar, model ba7. The battery failed the cca test (just 225 cca). Voltage test was fine, around 13 volts. Took it back to Advance where it failed on their tester too. I kept the battery on a charger at the 2 amp setting when not driving the car. The charger shuts on and off, so as not to over charge. However, the charger does not have an AGM setting. Is it bad to leave an agm battery on a charger at 2 amps or was the battery defective? I replaced it with a regular Diehard gold lead acid battery (sold by Advance). Advance guy said they discontinued that 75 series AGM battery, if that tells you anything.