Best Oil and oil filter?

billygeg

Need a little advice on the best oil and oil filter for a stock engine..Someone in a old thread told me to get a 94 S10 4.3 vin W filter..Any Input?
I'd like to do the oil this weekend..Thanks!

Use the search feature and you will be amazed on how many times this subject has been covered. Oil depends on your oil clearances . But I like 20-50 VR1 FTW

As for the oil filter, I like NAPA Gold #1036 or the equivalent Wix oil filter # 51036. As for the best oil, you will get a million different opinions on that.

All I've ever run is 5/30 Pennzoil or Castrol GTX dino oil with a Wix 51036 and a bottle of ZDDP every change........pushing 120k miles stock unopened block

Need a little advice on the best oil and oil filter for a stock engine..Someone in a old thread told me to get a 94 S10 4.3 vin W filter..Any Input?

The AC Delco PF52 or equivalent is larger with more capacity than the PF47.

For the largest spin on filter, the RJC Racing biggie filter adapter works well.

IMG_4620.PNG

http://rjcracing.com/product/oil-filter-adapter/

..Someone in a old thread told me to get a 94 S10 4.3 vin W filter..Any Input?

That would have been me. it's easier to work around the 'parts men' when you say you need an S10 filter. If you're at Oreillys, get a WIX, Mobil1 from vatozone, Purolater PURE ONE (not a normal one) from Advanced, NAPA gold (same as WIX) from NAPA, and Baldwin from a truck stop.

On the oil, run the thinnest second number that will give you the oil pressure you need. On the first number, run the lowest you can find with the correct hot/second number.

I guess I'm asking a dumb question but is there filters out there with the spring that will keep oil in the filter and not letting it drain back into the pan ? If so is this something we need to be running ?

I guess I'm asking a dumb question but is there filters out there with the spring that will keep oil in the filter and not letting it drain back into the pan ? If so is this something we need to be running ?

That's not a dumb question at all.
Any filter that doesn't hang straight down would benefit from an "anti-drain back valve" which will keep the filter full of oil so the filter doesn't have to be filled on every start up before the engine would get oil.

I know the PF47 and PF52 both have the "anti-drain back valve" in them. I believe any of the equivalent's would be the same.

I can't say for sure about the new PF47E and PF52E as they seem very cheaply made.

On my next oil change, I'm going to use a Baldwin B35s oil filter. I was told that they are a little better than Wix and the price is decent too.

Amzoil Zrod oil has zinc in it so no need for additives. They also make a Dominator oil that is supposed to have more film strength to help rod bearings live longer. Get out your wallet though, but it's what I run.

I guess I'm asking a dumb question but is there filters out there with the spring that will keep oil in the filter and not letting it drain back into the pan ?

Yes. It's called an ''anti-drainback valve''. It's not a spring though, it's a rubber flapper that covers all the small holes around the center threaded hole. If a filter has one, you can look at it and see the rubber.

And, yes, we need to run one. The rule is you don't need one if you're filter is mounted vertically (like a SBC). If your filter is laying flat like we have, you HAVE to run a filter with an antidrainback valve.

Yes. It's called an ''anti-drainback valve''. It's not a spring though, it's a rubber flapper that covers all the small holes around the center threaded hole. If a filter has one, you can look at it and see the rubber.

And, yes, we need to run one. The rule is you don't need one if you're filter is mounted vertically (like a SBC). If your filter is laying flat like we have, you HAVE to run a filter with an antidrainback valve.
Who makes those filters ? I guess I was thinking the AC delco had one but I guess its the flap that you have described and on my new car I'm still running the stock intercooler so there is a clearance issue with larger filters

Everybody makes them. Just steer clear of the Delcos as they're shit now since they outsource them from overseas.

Keep in mind, there's more to having a drainback valve, it actually needs to work.

Cheap filters have shittly drainback valves that don't work. Yes, they are equipped with the flapper, but it they don't seal, they don't count.

For example I know a lot of women that physically own a brain. But when they don't work, it doesn't count. :D