Best grand national seat covers-highway stars exclusive?

regalman4925

Does anyone know of a better seat cover kit than the highway stars exclusive kits? They appear to be the closest to factory out there from what I have seen. Thanks

Hunter Dog

I dealt with Leslie at Hwy Stars and purchased the exclusive front and rear seats and door panels. I recovered the seats myself and was pretty happy with them. They were a slightly larger fit so I was glad I added padding to the existing padding or they would have been even larger, especially on the back of the front seats. They were slightly darker on the grey than I remember or compared to my 87 with original seats, but 33 years of fading can do that I suppose. I would buy them again if I needed them for another car. The PUI are more of a greenish tint and when I saw those from another GN owner we both agreed these were better. Suggest you do all of both seats and doors at same time so they match. The rear seat is obviously less visible and you may be able to live with what you have without buying all at the same time. Redoing them all same time is obviously best way to go if you can.

regalman4925

Thanks guys, I got allot of feedback on facebook also and it appears that the highway stars kit is the best available at the moment. I ordered front, rear and all panels so they all match

Blown&Injected

Did you get the interior parts?
I am wondering what to go with. The shiny stuff (Exclusive) seems thinner than the Pallex but then our cars are typically no longer a daily drivers.
Do they have the Exclusive material for the upper door panels and rear inserts? I looked but do not recall seeing it.

KC87

Just got the exclusive fronts and rear with "6" headrest covers Thursday from Highway Stars, they look like a million bucks. Or should I say a billion bucks accounting for inflation.

Hunter Dog

We purchased these a few months ago and recovered the seats ourselves. Tip for you..have some carpet padding and some of the adhesive handy or something similar as you may want to use it to stuff in certain areas to cover some sharp parts of the steel on the existing seats and to fill some areas where the existing pad has worn down over time. We did this and the more we added the better they turned out. They are more large than small which is good for the recovering process. Good luck !

KC87

We purchased these a few months ago and recovered the seats ourselves. Tip for you..have some carpet padding and some of the adhesive handy or something similar as you may want to use it to stuff in certain areas to cover some sharp parts of the steel on the existing seats and to fill some areas where the existing pad has worn down over time. We did this and the more we added the better they turned out. They are more large than small which is good for the recovering process. Good luck !

For $75 a seat (just doing the fronts since the rear is perfect) I'm going to let a pro do it.
Maybe I'll get a love seat and recover it with the back seat one. :LOL:

regalman4925

Did you get the interior parts?
I am wondering what to go with. The shiny stuff (Exclusive) seems thinner than the Pallex but then our cars are typically no longer a daily drivers.
Do they have the Exclusive material for the upper door panels and rear inserts? I looked but do not recall seeing it.
Yes, I bought the seat covers and the matching door panels. The material does seem a bit thinner but they are very nice. I really do not think the thickness will have cause any issues. I did reuse the foam that was stitched into the back of the originals. I cut it out of the originals and used it behind the seat. I did everything myself and they came out great. The headrests are a bit loose so I need to add some foam into them to tighten them up.

Blown&Injected

Leaning towards the Exclusive material...even more now.
Since I have an issue with a broken wire so after watching the video Anthony posted - thank you Anthony, I plan to just take the seats and covers to a local shop.

I have an engine to put together and before it goes in, I have a new steering box and shaft that should be easier to do with no engine in the car. Just too much to do and I am learning how precious time is...trying to do it all is just killing too much time.

KC87

That is funny. $75 a seat is a very good price. I hope they do a great job for you.

They've been around almost 50 years and do a lot of custom work and have a great reputation. I'm guessing that's if everything goes perfect but they'll need to add some foam so thinking it will be a bit more so if it's more it's more. Better done right then half ass. Will post some pictures when they're done.

Hunter Dog

We used a trash bag to help get the head rest cover over the foam for that..it was tough to do it with the bag, can't imagine doing it without it.
Also, on the steering column..if doing the lower shaft from Kirtbans or other source (this is the Jeep part) we were able to take a file to the existing shaft and got the right angle--it is tight--by rotating the tires to get the groove made (for the screw)area to get the new one in without removing the entire shaft (upper).

Blown&Injected

Cool Man - thanks for the tip on the steering shaft.

It sure looks like Highway Stars has it together with the upper panels too. I'm thinking some serious packaging is needed to ship door panels.

Hunter Dog

No problem. Hwy Stars Leslie is great..honest people. They will pack it up nice and tight for you. I bought all the interior from them and other parts along the way.