Best choice for new turbo??

OneQuikV6

Automotively bi-curious
Well, I'm pretty sure that my turbo is worn out. The motor sopposedly has only 22K on it, but I don't have any info that the turbo has been replaced. Car has 93K. I have a lot of oil in the up-pipe and for the first time last night, I got into boost for a second (long enough to rid myself of a pesky 96-7 Mustang) and noticed a puff of smoke upon hammering it. Car is tuned very well and with the RJC plate, I rarely get much knock in town. The oil is not a new thing, but when I installed the RJC plate, I noticed it more than I had before.

Question is: What is the most common upgrade at this point based on what I've done thus far? I just put new Blue Tops in, so I don't wanna buy a turbo that is too big for those injectors. I also plan to add a bigger convertor in the near future, so keep that in mind. I'd eventually be happy with a low 12 second/high 11 second car. I see a lot of guys going to the PTE 51 but I also remember the TA 49's being popular as well. I want stock appearing I think although the TE 44 is popular too. I just don't understand the difference in the TA vs the TE.

Any help would be appreciated

:cool:

the main difference between TA and TE turbo's is that the TA's have the "stock" appearing intake housings....so if you are looking for that, i would definately be looking for the TA series' of turbos...as far as your selections for turbo, you are pretty much right on the money, ta-49, ta-60's as well....i dont know if they have TA-50 series turbo's.....i had a similar setup as far as times i was looking for, injectors i bought, and oil in my IC, but i never worried bout the oil, i cleaned it out once a year and kept going...was running mid 12's with the stock turbo up to 110k miles then i went with a te-44.

dan

Blue tops will support 36 X 6 X 2 = 432 HP. A TA49 will support 545 HP, a TE44 580 HP and a PT51 585 HP.

Personally, I'd go with a TE44:

-Spools well with stock torque converter.

-While the TA49 and TE44 share compressor wheels, the TE44 has an optimized compressor housing, resulting in better performance/more HP potential.

-The TE housing eliminates the turbo bell, including the gasket and 2 nuts, resulting in better air flow and a much cleaner installation.

I firmly believe for the 44 is head-and-shoulders the best turbo for the street.

:)

Originally posted by strikeeagle

-The TE housing eliminates the turbo bell, including the gasket and 2 nuts, resulting in better air flow and a much cleaner installation.

I firmly believe for the 44 is clearly the best turbo for the street.

Ok, I'll buy all that...but :D what are the installation headaches associated with using a non-stock appearing unit?

Virtually none.

You'll need wastegate actuator bracketry configured for a TE44, but since I always buy the actuator with the turbo to avoid nasty surprises (read late night thrashes involving bench grinders and bubblegum), a non-issue.

To me, guys who don't buy the actuator with the turbo and who don't specify the exhaust side (i.e. stock elbow, THDP, whatever) are asking for it, and I delight in their suffering.

So far as the installation of the mass air plumbing, be it duct or pipe/hose, a TE is much cleaner in that you lose the stinking bell. I've gotta tell ya, I just hate the look and installation of a TA and I'd never buy one.

Once you go black, um, TE, you won't go back.

Good luck!

Originally posted by strikeeagle
Virtually none.

You'll need wastegate actuator bracketry configured for a TE44, but since I always buy the actuator with the turbo to avoid nasty surprises (read late night thrashes involving bench grinders and bubblegum), a non-issue.

To me, guys who don't buy the actuator with the turbo and who don't specify the exhaust side (i.e. stock elbow, THDP, whatever) are asking for it, and I delight in their suffering.

So far as the installation of the mass air plumbing, be it duct or pipe/hose, a TE is much cleaner in that you lose the stinking bell. I've gotta tell ya, I just hate the look and installation of a TA and I'd never buy one.

Once you go black, um, TE, you won't go back.

Good luck!

Thanks! Mucho appreciated :)

The decison between the TA49 vs TE44 is kinda of a moot point in performance. Heck, Reddshotair went 121mph with a 49 and Frank G went I believe 119mph. I'm sure you can do the same with the 44. It comes down to cosmetics, which look you prefer. Remember, that your inlet pipe will be about 2.5 inches shorter with any TE series turbo since you eliminate the bolt on inlet bell.

I can tell you Garrett doesn't feel that way.

Think of the 49 as a 44 yearning to break free of the crappy compressor cover choking it...

I recommend a TE-44 :) I ran mine with blue tops for years. They are great on the street and at the track it would run consistent 11:70's. In fact I like that turbo so much I kept it on my new motor.

I have a 52 that I moved over to my GN from my T, but if I were starting from a clean sheet of paper you'd better believe I'd have a 44...

Inspection!!!

In some states, the TE won't pass the visual inspection. It requires an open crankcase vent, which has been pretty much illegal since the sixties, on emissions controlled cars. The old cars with carbs vented to the air cleaner, so the engine inhaled the crankcase vapors, but with PCV system, the hose from valve cover to turbo inlet is needed. You can try a TE in an emission testing state, might pass.

i wish i still had my ta-49..:(

dont know about the te-44 but it should be a persnal preference in the looks department between the 2 cause i am proof the 49 will haul azz even with no traction.

step away from the 51 for your gouls it wont be worth it...p.o.s.;)