BENT FIN ON COMPRESSOR SIDE

Boxcars

Banned
A couple months ago I started to hear a high pitched, siren like, sound which increased in pitch as the engine went to full boost. I noticed no change in performance, as far as I could tell. I don't use the car, my TR powered El Camino, that much, and there is no noise I can hear until I go into full boost. I decided to investigate today and found no play in the shaft, but one of the fins on the compressor side (TE44) is bent and curled back a bit. No other damage is visible. Just wondering if there is any downside to continue using it, and/ or should I try to straighten the blade, if possible, with a pair of pliers?

Attachments

• Picture 294.jpg
    Picture 294.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 112
  • Picture 295.jpg
    Picture 295.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Well, if that's the case, I suppose as it gets worse, it will reveal itself as I go. I intend to drive it until it no longer works. I probably have at least a hundred miles on it since I first heard the siren sound, with no change, so I'll see how it goes. Thanks for your input.

I'm thinking the worse that can happen is the turbo will start getting worse. Nothing's happened yet. If it does, I'll replace it. BTW, I discovered what did the damage. A plastic piece from my stock MAF lip broke off, where you clamp the hose, and that's what hit and bent the blade. Whatever the outcome, I'll post back here on this thread to finish it up.
yup.gif

It will spit metal into intercooler and could damage the turbo beyond repair.