Before Black BS'ing thread.

I'm going to search for a 4.1 for my next build I think. Nice looking engine!

In other news,

Took the car apart

Got the engine in the 2+2

Has anyone made a sheet metal dash for their car? My dash is so cracked up and broken it's not funny. Besides that the gauges don't work and there isn't anyplace to add extra ones. Maybe someone made a race car and put a metal dash in it and has some pictures I cold go by. Thanks.

That's what I'm looking for. I haven't tried to take anything off mine because it is so brittle and breaks real easy. The straight across dash looks better than I thought it would. With a center piece going down to the console would top it off great. Hope you don't mind me coping it

Are there brackets behind it to bolt the metal to? Like I said, I haven't gotten behind mine yet.

Thanks man!

Yeah, i self tapping screws it to the cowl area right under the windshield. Its flat. Might be tough with the windshield in though. There's also 2 brackets by the kick panels that i tied it to with a simple bracket.

Attachments

• 1452487355604.jpg
    1452487355604.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 137
Good to know about around the cowl area and by the kick panels. If the window has to come out I'll replace the rubber at that time. Freaks me out thinking I might break the window. Will let someone else do that lol. I like what you've done. Painted, it will look real good in my 79. More than enough room for gauges and even radio and AC vents. My glove box is in the console. Could do the console in metal but it's in OK shape. Thanks for sharing man.

Where have you been? Glad to see you back. What happened with the Stage II blower motor?

Where have you been? Glad to see you back. What happened with the Stage II blower motor?

lol... ive been busier then ever! I officially have a shop now, and lord have it, we specialize in EFI. My lil ol stage is sitting now peacfully in my livingroom watching TV with the kids. LOL I havent had much time to work on anything but daily drivers.

Best of luck in your new business. It can get hectic running your own shop. The key to success is having others work for you when you get enough work to add people. Then you get another set of problems!

I love the 2+2!

I had one back in the early 1990's. Loved the handling, but always felt it was underpowered. I had assumed it was the same as a Monte SS, but later found out it wasn't the 305 HO motor, just a regular 305. :mad: Pontiac would have had to do all the emissions testing to use the 305 HO, which they couldn't justify for ~1200 cars.

I like the front end, the back window was a little much. I had a rear speaker go bad. Climbing in that little truck opening was very claustrophobic once you got inside.

The new engine is the best yet. It pulls hard on only a 100 shot. Honing with the deck plate torqued to 55 ft lbs did the trick. Mike at TA performance recommended this for a 4.1. The heads only torque to 65. My last block had a lot of distortion in the bores on the rear cylinders and always had blow by and lower compression on the rear. This one is even on all cylinders. I think the plates were torqued to 80 on that block. I was going to use iron heads and then switched to GN1 after it was honed. My fault. My only problem now is the converter only has a .025 flywheel to converter gap. I have to pull the trans out and do some grinding on the neck where it goes into the pump. I got a rubber freeze plug to put down the neck to keep the metal out. The converter is a TCS with a billet case and balloon plates. I can't just grind the pads. I have a JW converter also, but that one needs spacers it has so much clearance. The new block must be a little different, although this converter was always on the tight side. I don't want to hurt the thrust bearing, so no more running it until I fix this problem.

Had to put the JW converter in. Had about .110 clearance. The TCS is not as deep internally. Same exterior dimensions. My new block is shorter or the main bores are shifted to the rear. Made in Mexico no doubt. Now I have a 3800 stall converter that just blows the tires off.

Found an easy solution to the flywheel to converter issue. Speedway Motors has a BOP to Chevy adapter plate that is 1/8" thick steel for $39.95. Perfect distance for the TCS converter.

Swapped converters today and used the 1/8" adapter plate. Had to buzz out some of the bolt holes to make the bolts go in easy. The Gear Vendors overdrive has to come off to get the trans out. I slide it back through the driveshaft loop and leave it there, then put the stock tailshaft housing on to keep from loosing too much fluid. I now have .140 gap which is perfect. I ran the 3800 JW on a no prep 1/8 mile 2 weeks ago. I ran almost 1/2 second slower than on a prepped track due to tire spin. The 2800 TCS works much better with the torque that nitrous makes. Maybe the 3800 would work on a prepped track, but we don't have one of those any more. We run on the pit road at the NASCAR track.

The gnttype.org database with all the buick casting numbers and info is down.

I have an opportunity to buy a 85 3.8 that I might put together to put my SFI stuff on. It has 8445 heads. 109 blocks switched somewhere late 85 so this might be a late 85 block and thus 109.

What does a 20 bolt oilpan vs a 14 bolt timing cover look like? Seller said the timing cover has 3 bolts and is pointed. Does that seem right for a 20 bolt pan?