Been asked...per say yes...but not like this

85_Daphne

They call me Cowyboy...
I have been contemplating the replacement of my radiator. Its the factory original along with the rest of my car. I have been noticing that when just cruising around in the 60 degree weather so far this year, my car is running 190-200 degrees. The fluid is fresh, as I did a radiator flush last year. I have been reading on various past posts that the original radiator after years of service can and will eventually start to go bad. And as my car only gets driven spring, summer and fall and not a daily driver Im sure its not helping. I would like to know if it's acceptable to replace my radiator and not switch to electric fans...I do not know what CFM the belt driven fan is putting out, but I am sure is capable of doing the job. I very rarely race my car at the track, I have been known to lay some rubber from time to time as well as show my buddies 64 Stang why a Buick is BEST! Beyond that, she's purely a show car and cruiser for me to enjoy. Any help or insight you gentleman and gentlewomen, if you chime in, can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thank you, "Cowboy"

Take the original radiator out and drop it off at your friendly neighborhood radiator shop to get it made good as new.. get a new thermostat when you put it back together.

has a new 160 thermostat already, did that when I did the new fluid. I wasnt going to spend the money on refurb'ing my old one when I can get a brand new one for a f-body at the parts store for under $100. was thinking new radiator would be more efficient and then if shes still running warm, i would add an elec fan made for the radiator.

F body radiator is wider than the stock hot air one....stock fan shroud would need changed. If you want a newer alum stock replacement that will work with the stock shroud and still look factory, lmk. I have one I bought new for mine, used it for one year, then went f body and elec fans. Text me if you're interested. ---Keith

F body radiator is wider than the stock hot air one....stock fan shroud would need changed. If you want a newer alum stock replacement that will work with the stock shroud and still look factory, lmk. I have one I bought new for mine, used it for one year, then went f body and elec fans. Text me if you're interested. ---Keith

I fit the f-body radiator under the stock shroud just fine on my '85?

I thought there was 2 different shrouds the HA cars came with.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

im sure the F-body fits under the top bracket, but i believe keith had said that the f-body radiator is too wide.... just how i read it

One thing nobody has mentioned is the fan clutch, which if I was a bettin' man is more than likely your problem.

Is your fan loud first thing in the morning on start up???? It should be if it is a thermal clutch which is what I think they came with.

Does the fan have any wiggle in it [belt off/in and out] or does it spin easily with the belt on???

Either way check all cooling system components before blowing a wad with the point and shoot method you seem to be on.

T-stat should be replaced regardless, but if the rad isn't corroded and flows well buying another one will only make your wallet lighter and you will still be in the same boat as you are now.

Find the problem and solve the problem, guessing only costs you money and frustration.

To ALL:

Thank you everyone, thanks for the advice. The knowledge, information and ideas continue to impress me.

Zombie: This car isn't close to a daily driver so I can not say with 100% certainty if the fan wiggles of not. I keep her in a "climate controlled" storage so when I can get to her this weekend, I shall look over all the things your brought up. Im not just blowing money to blow money, I know enough about cars to now be considered a dim whit, I know all the components that could be changed out. I have already located a stock all aluminum replacement thats barely used, so I can keep the stock look (my whole goal). Im a huge stickler for looking factory 100%. While I change out the radiator, I will most likely put on a new water pump to ensure everything is cycling well. Once those both have been done, I will re assemble with new belts and eventually find a perfect electric fan replacement that will look OEM.

I will certainly continue to follow this thread for any other possible ideas and tips, so please keep up the good work.

I didn't mean to insinuate that you don't know anything, but you did ask what the problem could be and as a former ASE mechanic of 25 years I was just pointing out something that is often overlooked.

Changing the W/P is a good idea as the impellers in the pump can corrode from sitting and reduce flow.

You are on the right track and I hope you get it all worked out.

Zombie,

No problems man. I figured your didn't mean it like that. I am just the type that anything worth saying is worth saying correctly and anything worth doing should be done correctly. Unfortunately our board is not able to adequately portray context and I have see a lot of conversions go the entirely wrong direction all because someone read something with the wrong context. So I harness no ill will or hard feelings. I sincerely appreciate your input as I am a youngster in the scheme of things, and I still have a lot to learn. As all of us are never able to fully know it all, some thinks so, but thats just foolishness and pride. So I will continue to be a sponge and maybe in 20 years I can be the old timer schooling the youngsters who enjoy our cars.

85_Daphne
You will go FAR on this board being a sponge. As far as your current situation, replace WP, opt for the F Body radiator and a dual electric fan with adjustable controller. Replacing the fan also frees up HP. Having a electric fan allows you to tailor the temps for your climate. The COOLER your car runs, the better. BTW, re route the water lines in the intake will keep the intake cooler also.

BTW, I am still a Youngster after 20+ years ;)

CWMCCRAY,

Excellent suggestion, but I am pretty OCD about my car, as turbonut85 or Polzin. Needless to say, I want my car to stay as stock looking as possible. I don't race her much, I show her off a lot and get many compliments. That also being said, most of the general automotive public at car shows give me the "WTF didd yu jus say" look at car shows when I say its a HA car. So the original look is more for me than anything.

And there is a vast difference between growing up, and growing old....I will get older, can stop it. I do not have to grow up, much to my fiance's disappointment.

Here is what i would do. Drive the car and get it to the 180-190 temp. Open the hood, and spray the radiator lightly with water. If the temps drop down quickly to the thermostat temp rating, it's an airflow issue. I would than wire a single fan in the shroud, and put it on a switch. That way, you get the stock look, with increased cooling performance.

I would than wire a single fan in the shroud, and put it on a switch. That way, you get the stock look, with increased cooling performance.

I agree with adding an electric fan...they are far more efficient then the factory fan.