Bearing selection/clearance

black owned

black pride
Looking to tighten up clearances after having crank polished.Crank is std/ std.Any suggestions or part#s would be nice.Thanks

bearings that are .001 , not all std bearings are the same thickness as well, mic a bunch and find the thickest ones

Interested in where you find and brand that meets tightening up the clearance ?
I need to loose .001 on my mains.

The only way to know is to try until you get it right. You'll most likely need a set of STDs and a set of .001's.

I'm actually doing the same thing right now. I had to polish a STD crank a LOT and it mic'd out to need a set of .001's. When I torqued everything up and measured, I had most of them too tight. Now, most, if not all, will be half shelled when I'm happy.

That being said, I might have a set of .0005's up for grabs soon. :D

Just be clear, 5 sets of standard bearings from the same manufacturer may vary. There's a tolerance for bearing thickness. That's why you don't just a buy a set of bearings and call it done.

Most will not have this many, but this is what I work with.

Attachments

• 20181201_102055.jpg
    20181201_102055.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 125
  • 20181201_102104.jpg
    20181201_102104.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 121
  • 20181201_102122.jpg
    20181201_102122.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 115
Thanks , Earl, & Steve, I should have added my crank is ground .010 under already . 1,2,3, have steel and line bored .
So on the hard mic and dial gauge I am at a fat .0025 so I am thinking loosing at lest .0005 or maybe .0007 .
What are your thoughts ?

Thanks , Earl, & Steve, I should have added my crank is ground .010 under already . 1,2,3, have steel and line bored .
So on the hard mic and dial gauge I am at a fat .0025 so I am thinking loosing at lest .0005 or maybe .0007 .
What are your thoughts ?
.010 bearings the same deal. You will have to buy several sets and play with it. You have no .001 choice once the crank is ground.

You probably have 1/2/3 steel caps. Then entire block would be line bored and honed.

Yes you are right, the block was line bored then honed .
So can you point me in the right direction on the best choice for a selection of main brgs to start measuring .
Federal ,King or others ?

So can you point me in the right direction on the best choice for a selection of main brgs to start measuring .
There are no bad choices. People have their favorites. I don't like tri- metals in street engines.

I've never tried to look for .011's before for these engines, so I can't say for sure if they exist or not. (if they do exist expect them to be expensive as hell).

First thing you need to do is torque up the caps and see what your actual bore is. If the machine shop got a little over zealous, you might be able to hand lap the caps and tighten up the bearing crush.

Note: I've seen that actually LOOSEN up the actual bearing clearance once before. Moral of the story, CHECK all your measurements constantly.

All info is helpful guys , I will explore these choices and one or a combination them will get where the running clearance needs to be . Thanks.