BBC with what adder?

What adder?

• 540 with a 14-71

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • 540 with twin 88s

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • 540 with single 106 or 114

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Forget the Chargers, just spray the ever living hell out of it.

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters

Koll

Ok, once I finally finish up all the other projects I got going on, we start the BBC. For now itll be a 396, but dont worry about that.
Evuntally I will be building a 540 BBC (Dart Big M), either AFR or HitMan heads, huge cam, carbbed, etc.

Anyways at first I was going to go with a 14-71 blower. I have always like the looks of a blower out of the hood.
Then I got introduced into the world of turbo-ing.
Now I am torn between a
14-71
Twin Turbo (with twin 88s)
or a huge single (such as the Precision GT-114).

Edit : New one. ProCharger F4. If you want to vote for the F4, just say so.

Car will be a 1984 olds cutlass with 9", glide, etc.
Will be a track car with the ocassional drive around town.

Also, any reason as to why would be appreciated.

The faster outlaw guys are running GT55 91MM Twins
Precision can machine you a 88MM insert.

If you have any plans or remote inclinations to class race in any of the dozen of racing organizations, i would look to see where your combo might fit in. Then build at least close to their rules.

Twins are absolutely cool but youll be limited where you can race.

Right now, I have no plans to race in any classes. Just be very fast.
I think I might go with an F4 Procharger with the 540

If you go 540, twin 88's would be a little small. I would recommend two GT559133s from PTE with 1.12 A/R housings as a minimum. This would give you roughly 3200 fwhp worth of turbos to feed that hungry 540.
Another thing you have to figure in, will be parasitic losses if you chose any of the blowers. You could be loosing up to 300 fwhp with that F4. Why loose power when you can have free power? This is something that you don't hear too many blower people at this power level talk about, probably because they are sponsored by one of the SC manufactureres and don't want to rock the boat if ya know what I mean. Don't forget about crank wear and tear from spinning that monster blower.

You'll have non of those problems with a turbo application. Reliability is key when making this level of power and turbos will give you this. Yes, there is more involved in setting up a proper single or twin turbo combo, but the power potential is really unlimited with the ever evolving turbo technology. You will be able to spool up those GT55's. PTE has 5 different turbine housings to chose from to suit your racing needs. IE: 1/8th mile vs 1/4 mile. They also list a ball bearing version of this turbo coming out this spring. Two of those turbos with ball bearing and 1.24 A/R housings on your 540, would be the ultimate IMO.

Precision Turbo & Engine - Turbocharger, Intercooler, Fuel Injector, Performance Parts & more!

If I were in your shoes, knowing what I know about these types of combos, I would opt for decently sized twins to feed that healthy BBC. The competition will come down to combos such as yours with twins, vs 400+ ci PT114 single turbo combos. Then it won't be much longer when the nitrous guys start crying and crying cause they can't keep up, even with their mountain motors.
I predict 6.40-6.20's to be the norm for serious Pro class turbo combos such as this in 2007.
HTH

Patrick

procharger

turbos are the popular choice!!! be a little differant, i vote procharger!! remember it is not always how much power you have but how fast you apply it to the track!!!!! ;)

You have to have a et goal before you even get started. Tire size is also a huge factor.

There's no need in a 540 with twins or an F4 if you don't plan to make 2500hp. If you did what kind of chassis and tires is going to plant it. A small ci BBC with twin 76's or 88's will make huge power. Turbo's are much easier to control when you're limited on tire size. Go to the outlaw races and watch to see what's going on.

You have to have a et goal before you even get started. Tire size is also a huge factor.

There's no need in a 540 with twins or an F4 if you don't plan to make 2500hp. If you did what kind of chassis and tires is going to plant it. A small ci BBC with twin 76's or 88's will make huge power. Turbo's are much easier to control when you're limited on tire size. Go to the outlaw races and watch to see what's going on.
X2