Battery Info Request

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
Need to address this problem again: https://turbobuick.com/threads/optima-red-top-battery-info-request.444761/

I replaced the previous Optima 34/78 Red Top under warranty. The new battery has performed as poorly as the previous one. Warranty expires mid February. What else is out there? Must be a sealed battery.

The mounting location & retention strongly favors the Optima sizing, rounded corners & the mounting clamp at the base.

Battery needs to reliably crank a tight 500 cid engine with almost 10:1 compression. The Red Top can spin the engine most of the time when it is cold. Can't do it when it is up to operating temperature. I don't think the starter motor is suffering from heat soak, as I've been able to place my hand on it. (Plus a jump start usually spins it easily) Electrical load consists of OEM lighting, heater blower motor, windshield wipers, stereo, gauges, plus the addition of HEI ignition, separate electric cooling fans on radiator & tranny cooler. Alternator is 150 amp Powermaster. This is a four wheel drive application.

Weight savings would be a plus, but not at the cost of reliability.

Thanks.

This is the space I'm working with.

BatteryMount2.JPG

Cranks cold but not hot? Man I’d really be suspecting the starter. Know of anyone else with one you can swap? Or swap the battery into another vehicle to observe performance.

if everthing checks out have you looked into an automotive capacitor they are small and relatively inexpensive
man that is a tight fit ever thought about putting it in the trunk

looks like a Caddy engine in a Jeep CJ...NICE! What are you using for a trans adapter?

UPDATE: Problem resolved. This little battery right here, kicks the Optima's @SS!
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ze-35-85-top-post-battery/35plt/4742698?pos=5

The 800 CCA/1000 CA Optima still bench tests as being in excellent condition, yet the 640 CCA/755 CA battery performs better.

I like the AntiGravity batteries. I have one in a bike & it's awesome! For the Jeep, I prefer off the shelf availability.

It is a CJ-7, Cadillac 500 with a Cadillac TH400, Novak adapter to Dana 300 X-fer case with 32 spline output shafts. Has become a 20 year project from initial thoughts to now.

2.jpg

1.jpg

Bet that took some fanagling to get in. Must be a torque monster.

More than ten pounds of sand in a 5 pound bag.

Engine Specs:
1975 Cadillac Eldorado 500
Bore Spacing: 5"
OEM Deck Height was 10.8125" decks were cut .025" to zero deck pistons & block
OEM Bore size was 4.300" is now 4.330"
OEM Stroke: 4.304"
OEM Rod length was 6.750" is now 6.735" (455 Olds rods)
Main Journal: 3.250"
Rod Journal: 2.500"
KB Hypereutectic flat top pistons .030 over
Hastings Premium Molly Rings.
Olds 455 forged rods. Lightened, beam polished, end weights & over all weights matched.
OEM Crank was de-burred, lightened slightly & polished.

120 cc open chamber heads
2.11" Int / 1.77" Exh. Stainless valves
Mild street port, bowl & chamber work
9.5 to 1 compression
Stud mounted rocker system with small block Ford self aligning 1.7 to 1 ratio Comp Cams Magnum roller tip rocker arms & oversized pushrods.

Camshaft is a custom grind by Comp Cams.
Specs are
Int. 514 lift/212 dur@.050
Exh. 533 lift/222 dur@.050
Lobe sep 110
Cloyes True Roller timing chain
Melling oil pump for a 425 Cadillac
Edelbrock Performer manifold & Quadrajet built by The Carb Shop in Ontario, Calif.
(Exhaust cross over has been blocked)
Block hugger headers with 1 7/8"(if I remember correctly) primaries into a dual 2.5" exhaust system. One dual inlet & outlet Magnaflow muffler with internal X-pipe.