Barrett-Jackson..Las Vegas 2008..Turbo Regals

Couple very nice pieces! My TTA #1477 came from B.J. in 2001.

Vehicle Details
LotNumber 68
Hammer Price 14500.00
Year 1989
CarMake PONTIAC
CarModel TRANS AM
CarStyle 20TH ANNIVERSARY PACE CAR
ExteriorColor WHITE
Interiorcolor
Cylinders 0
Engine 0
Transmission
Summary Turbocharged 3.8 liter V-6 producing 250HP and 340 ft. lbs of torque. 4spd auto, 3.27:1 limited slip rearend, 4 wheel PDB that are beefed up with competition 12" vented front rotors and ual alum calipers.
Description Pontiac turbocharged 20th Anniversary Trans Am. The 3.8L SFII turbo V-6 boasts a persuasive 250HP & 340 ft lbs. of torque. That power is applied through a crisp-shifting 4-speed automatic, calibrated to up-shift at 4,750 rpm, which neatly coincides with the turbo's power peak. A special 3.27:1 ratio limited slip rear axle translates to ultra-prompt forward motion. The power 4-wheel disc brakes have been beefed up with larger competition developed 12" vented front rotors & dual-piston aluminum calipers. A larger baffled 18-gallon fuel tank is added. The rest of the suspension is standard GTA level III, or WS6, means quick-ratio power steering with special valving , stocky 36mm front and 24mm rear stabilizer bars and taut gas-filled, deflected disc struts & shocks. Lightweight 16" gold diamond-spoke aluminum wheels. Exterior is monochrome white color, subtle gold 20th Anniversary badging on the nose, side panels, front fenders & rear tail light center panel completes the picture. The only other exterior clues are a pair of steel exhaust splitters, brandished from beneath the tail. Leather wrapped steering wheel. Analog instrumentation including a boost gauge integrated into the tachometer face. Articulating front seats include 2 power adjustments. Rear seats are unique with special contouring and built in headrests. A Delco cassette with graphic equalizer includes duplicate function controls built into the steering wheel hub.
Vehicle Pictures

The fillers are shot. I would think someone who has that kind of documentation would know how to store a car properly. I don't buy that mileage, look at the rockers.

Don't they have to pay a hefty consignment fee and commission each time the car sells?

The '87 WE4 I have seen for some time now on TB.COM, E-bay, Cars On Line, or somewhere but I don't remember which one. I think that the mileage might be real and / or correct, but I think that car has been neglected considerably at some point in time. the last time that I saw pics of it, about a year ago or so, I don't remember those rims & tires. Bumper fillers, rocker panels, & rear lower quarter panels tell the story. Right rear lower panel in behind the rear wheel almost look like rust and or corrosion.

The WE4 car was from Florida originally; I contacted the owner about a very low mile 1992 Camaro Z/28 and found he had the WE4 as well. Both cars were stored in a garage however on cement and not inside any type of protective Carjacket or car bubble. The owner was an officer in the Navy or Air Force and spend inordinate amounts of time away from home. We didn't get together on price and he had a lot of other interest. I think he was stuck on $24000 at the time I was talking to him and that was 2006 time frame. The car is legit however the care and storage for such a low mile car was not world class.

Here is the text (name and phone edited out) of one of the first emails I received from him:

David,

The WE4 was built for a 6-month period (first half of 1987) only. It was placed between the Grand National (GN) and the GNX in performance numbers and units built. There were 547 GNXs built and 1,547 WE4s. Buick added an extra thousand to this run. However, this is miniscule compared to nearly 24,000 GNs build for 1987. It is for sale as I am trying to build a new home. Would entertain knowledgeable offers.

The car is all original, and I have all the documentation for every ride I have taken in it. I bought it brand new, and it has been in Florida its entire life (garaged, covered, and on jacks). The only time it sees the sun is when I am driving it, and generally that is at night. I have all the original buyers orders, dealer correspondence, brochures, and even the huge dealer ordering notebooks. As far as pictures go, imagine it looking just like the Camaro. You are right, there is some hazing on the "bumper fillers" (as you called them) due to temperature changes. Much of this will buff out.

The turquoise car (not sure of the exact color name) is a 1968 Impala with 20K miles. The car is completely original with the exception of a $5,000 paint job. It looks very new. I am the second owner. Again, I will entertain offers.

If there is any other information I can get you, please let me know. My home phone is xxx-xxx-xxxx if you would like to call to discuss. This is the next one to go on eBay, so if you are interested in a before-it-goes-on-eBay purchase, please inquire soon. These are exceedingly rare birds. This is especially so because no one really knew what they were when they were first built (contrary to the GNX). For this cause, many folks drove them into the ground and crashed them, and they no longer exist. I remember once talking to a man who owned a WE4 that had been hit in the quarter panel. I said, "I see you have a WE4." He answered, "A what?" Most folks who bought GNXs, bought them to collect. Therefore most are still in existence. However, my guess is there are very few (if any) WE4s that are in this condition...an extremely desirable collectible.

Thanks!

VR,
XXXXXX XXXXXX
BRAC Program Manager
NETC N436T

dz28, You are correct. I met the owner at the 2007 Palm Beach auction. The antenna also is stuck halfway in the up position. The fillers were terrible and there was a crack on the front fiberglass.

The car sold at Palm Beach for $34K to a dealer in Arizona. Was up on Ebay numerous times for $50K. The same dealer must have somebody doing safeguard bidding, because he bought it back for $29K, which means the 8% seller fee and 10% commission.