balancing rotating assm.

"More Boost"

Major Member
ok, my machinist ask me whether i wanted to balance my buick v6 rotating assm. to a stock balance of 36% or so, he said some of the "racers" are balancing them at 50% like small block v8's. can someone help me here? chime in if you have any info. on this? please. (he said because these engines have split throws there is no way to balance them perfectly, (i guess thats why they vibrate so much) any info. is always appreciated. thanks, Gregg

The machine shop i goto just told me the excact same thing,that they change it to 50.I dont remember what the reason was though.

Both of you guys need to go to a shop in your area that has experience in building a turbo Buick engine if it is to be a performance build.:)

Your posts indicate those guys are not on the right track.

My machinist who does a LOT of Buick engines in Toronto area & has done about 5 for me just says bring in flywheel, balancer etc & balances the rotating assembly but has never asked me that question? I would guess you want it balanced like stock? I'm gonna ask him next time.

Both of you guys need to go to a shop in your area that has experience in building a turbo Buick engine if it is to be a performance build.:)

Your posts indicate those guys are not on the right track.

So what do you balance them to? Stock?

You can balance the cranks 36.6 or 50 ,the only thing that going to 50%
does is change the plane of imbalance from a horizontal to vertical. Most
aftermarket (import) cranks do not have enough material to do 50% and
adding heavy metal is not cost effective. I have done race engines both
ways and can't really tell any diffference.

yes, the vertical, horizontal thing is what he explained to me, he said it was why buick used soft, loose motor mounts from the factory, to soak up some of the horizontal vibration. i just wanted to see what everyone else what doing to their engines. thanks for all the input from everyone. :smile:

Dan,

I've actually had a couple engines that ended up in the 42-45% range and they work fine too. For an even fire engine I think you can use 36.6 - 50% as a range and it's a trade off between horizontal and vertical imbalance like you said. 50% would be better with solid motor mounts.

Neal