BAER Brake Install

Do they make a set that will work with the 15" wheels?
John
Hi John,

They make the SS4 front brakes that will fit the stock wheels, the rear SS4's will not fit the wheel due to the 12" rotor...

Give us a call and we can take care of you as we give discounts to all board members....

FYI....I am installing the rear SS4+ set up on my monte as we speak and there are a couple updates to the system.

Most important difference is now you need to shim the calipers to get the correct distance from the caliper body to the rotor. If you do not shim them the caliper will contact the rotor and get all sorts of chewed up. This shimming is a pita but essential to the install!!! Pics will follow soon.

Do they make a set that will work with the 15" wheels?
John

12" brakes are pretty hard to fit inside Steel GN wheels, but their 11's will fit. T-Type wheels will fit 12" brakes as long as the caliper isn't huge.

Squeaking? Mine don't nor does my brothers. Did you try cleaning them?

Squeaking? Mine don't nor does my brothers. Did you try cleaning them?

Clean, what part do you clean?
I did clean the rotors before installing.

I took a scotch brite pad to them and it stopped for a short moment.

They've squeaked every since I broke them in approximately 1000mi ago or less.

Last edited:
Shame on Baer for not having a hole in the rear backing plate to change out to longer wheel studs.
If you are doing this install on the rear brakes now is the time to install longer ones. Or you will pull the axles again.
I didn't have the coursge to drill it myself. All I could imagine was a huge crack!

Scott

I bought another 87GN and it has 11 K miles and perfect
plan is to build a stock appearing non race car that I can drive a lot safely and be a very fast sleeper
I got a a few other that are totally stock, race 9 second and GNXs etc

this one i plan to do the way I want and not let others sway me into other directions as I have before

I like the Baers although high dollar, do you have any smaller versions that will fit on my stock 15 inch 87 wheels front and back?

thx
Clay

I like the Baers although high dollar, do you have any smaller versions that will fit on my stock 15 inch 87 wheels front and back?
Go to Baer Brakes web site https://baer.com/11-Front-SS4-Brake-System-4301438.html scroll down to "system links " and select template . Print the template for the brakes you want , cut it out & follow instrutions . I believe the 11' brakes are the biggest rotor that will fit 15" wheels . I just did this for my 15" Centerline wheels and there was plenty of room . Just remove the wheel , center up the template cutout in the back of the wheel and if it doesn't hit the wheel your good . Sam
DSCN0367.JPG

Last edited:
Like Sam mentioned above on how to measure the wheel for fitment is correct, we like to paste the template onto a piece of cardboard for rigidity as well...

We also have the templates on our website under the brake section in the G-Body cars. The front SS4's will fit a stock T-Type 15" wheel but the rear SS4's will not due to the fact that the rotor is 12" due to the e-brake hat. BAER is currently working on a rear set up that will fit 15" wheels and will hopefully be out soon.

Like Sam mentioned above on how to measure the wheel for fitment is correct, we like to paste the template onto a piece of cardboard for rigidity as well...

We also have the templates on our website under the brake section in the G-Body cars. The front SS4's will fit a stock T-Type 15" wheel but the rear SS4's will not due to the fact that the rotor is 12" due to the e-brake hat. BAER is currently working on a rear set up that will fit 15" wheels and will hopefully be out soon.
That one I posted was on poster board. That works well and easy to cut out

I just finished installing my ss4 rears and I'm having a bit of a problem. After bleeding the brakes, the rotor is stuck and wouldnt rotate. Bled them again and the rotor was free but once I hit the brake its as if they don't disengage. Any suggestions? Also E-brake is not engaged

I just finished installing my ss4 rears and I'm having a bit of a problem. After bleeding the brakes, the rotor is stuck and wouldnt rotate. Bled them again and the rotor was free but once I hit the brake its as if they don't disengage. Any suggestions? Also E-brake is not engaged
Baer brakes require a break in period. If all is well with the bleeding process drive it. One of my sets took about 500 miles before it felt right. It was tight as hell like they weren't releasing but after some miles they are all good now

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk