BAER Brake Install

I just want to cap this Brake install off with a few more things that people might want to know..

First of all I want people to know that I have the Vacuum conversion set up from a 1986 Monte Carlo SS which has a stock bore size of 15/16" or 24mm or 34mm depending on the part number.. BAER recommends a 15/16" bore for the Track4 / SS4 set up so either of those will work very well...Needless to say I didn't need a different master cylinder to make this system work. I took the car out for a spin tonight for a good 1hr drive and these brakes are CRAZY! I swear I can stop on a dime!!!

To bleed the brakes I used a hand held/pump "Mighty vac" bleeder system and here are a few things that I found that might help others while using this type of vacuum bleeder.

1). Make sure ALL of the hose connections on the (Vac pump) are sealed (I used a small safety wire) to make sure all hose connections were sealed tight..

2). Before adding new fluid to the reservoir, take all of the bleeder fittings out of the calipers one at a time and wrap the threads with Teflon tape, Note: This is NOT meant for sealing proposes but to keep air from escaping around the threads when bleeding with the Vac bleeder. The goal is to have a perfectly sealed system. (If your bleeding the regular way via Peddle and another person disregard this).

3). Open the bleeder Farthest from the master cylinder and let sit until fluid starts to come out. This will speed up the process of bleeding.

4). Once fluid starts to come out of bleeder on it's own, Shut off, attach the Vac bleeder hose to the fitting, Pump the handle until it shows 20in vac and open the bleeder. Repeat until no bubbles are visible...Repeat with the rest of the wheels and DO NOT let the reservoir go empty!!!

5). This took a short time all by my self today and after a few pumps of the brake peddle, I ended up with a perfect peddle that feels better than when I started. I took the car for it's maiden voyage tonight and the brakes & peddle are PERFECT and this car will stop on a "Hair" !!!! It's Crazy!!!

Now it's time for BAER's Rotor & Pad bedding process and we should be ready for the track!

Scot W.

wow

i drove this car tonight at the rod run ,wow did this thing stop on a dime ,you know how with stock brakes you hit the brakes and wait a few seconds to stop this thing is unbelievable the difference,practically got a tattoo on my chest from the t-type emblem on the steering wheel.

Scott, do you have any pics with these brakes on with your wheels? Did the 1/2" up front and the 1/8" in the back effect anything when turning or hitting bumps? Also what's your clearance like between your rims and the brake caliper? Thanks in advance.

Scott,
1). do you have any pics with these brakes on with your wheels?

2). Did the 1/2" up front and the 1/8" in the back effect anything when turning or hitting bumps?

3). Also what's your clearance like between your rims and the brake caliper? Thanks in advance.
Hey Mike how are things going?

Here are your answers along with some pictures.. ;)

1). The first picture is my wheel mounted to the pre-assembled front brake set up. The second picture is how the BAER front brakes come if you ordered them assembled on OEM or Drop spindles.

BAER brakes 016.jpg

BAER brakes 009.jpg

2). The front YES, but I cut pockets into the front inner fenders to gain clearance and seeing as the wheels are 3-piece they are also going back to be re-worked for added insurance as I do tend to throw the car around quite a bit.. lol The rear NO, With me just in the car there is absolutely No rubbing of any kind it's only when the trunk is slammed full of crap or I have a full car with 4 people in it but the rear wheels are also going back to have that 1/8" taken off and we should be Golden...

3). The last two pictures should answer your question.. ;)

BAER brakes 018.jpg

BAER brakes 020.jpg

Scot W.

Last edited:
Things are going well Scott, thanks. And thanks for your responses, that helps out a lot. I guess I am trying to make out my X-Mas list early. The brakes look awesome.

I highly recommend Baer. My Baer 12" stop way better than stock.

Baer is $$, however, you get what you pay for & nothing else on these cars is cheep. Why play around with your brakes? You want cheep, Kia has a 100,00 mile warranty.

Scot,
Do you by chance have any pictures of how you have the e-brake cables hooked up? I have 4262236R installed on our Moser 12 bolt but we did get the G-body cables. The end that hooks up to the factory clip is much bigger than what the factory cable end is. Any idea sharing would be great!

Scot,
Do you by chance have any pictures of how you have the e-brake cables hooked up? I have 4262236R installed on our Moser 12 bolt but we did get the G-body cables. The end that hooks up to the factory clip is much bigger than what the factory cable end is. Any idea sharing would be great!
I am sorry for the late response, I just ran across this post now...

I do not have any E-Brake cable pictures as of yet but will soon take some when time allows and post them up here when ready...

Scot W.

E-Brake

I'm also interested in how the e-brake system is set up. I was looking into the LT-1 rear setup but that requires the rear shocks to be moved inward (with brackets) in order to use the e-brake. Just wondering if the Baer kit maintains the stock rear shock mounting locations.

I'm also interested in how the e-brake system is set up. I was looking into the LT-1 rear setup but that requires the rear shocks to be moved inward (with brackets) in order to use the e-brake. Just wondering if the Baer kit maintains the stock rear shock mounting locations.
Yes the BAER brake kit's maintain the stock shock mounting locations!

Scot W.

I am looking into a Baer brake setup and was wondering if you know how much boost you can hold with this setup before pushing or spinning. Thanks

I am looking into a Baer brake setup and was wondering if you know how much boost you can hold with this setup before pushing or spinning. Thanks
Lary,

It was nice talking to you last week, give us a call any time.

Scot W.

Okay i'm back with some data from our latest "Speed/Stop" challenge!

Last year about this time I posted that we done a BAER brake "Speed/Stop challenge" with the stock OEM brakes on the car. This test was held at the exact same 1/8th mile drag strip starting at the line with the tree and stopping in a 40' box of cones that starts right at the finish line. (Same track, same box location)

Last year with the stock brakes the best we could do was a 10:53 seconds and coming into the box smoking the front tires as they were the only thing locked up.

With us able to duplicate last years event by having it at the same track, using the same lane!! This means we got as close to last years event data as we possibly could..

Nothing was done to my car since then other than the BAER brake upgrade and the proportioning valve!! So here is the data from this year...

The pass is in this video is our First pass with a 10.29 seconds (just getting a feel for the brakes and the cone locations and dialing in the BAER prop valve or brake bias) NOTE no tire smoke! 2nd pass was a 9.89 sec and the 3rd pass was a 9.70 sec. I had a 4th pass coming but missed it due to the trophy ceremony but I think I could have gotten my times down more..

PS: This is with the pads that come with the BAER brake systems and I am more than happy with their performance so far!

10:29 Pass

9:70 Pass (in-car)

Scot W.

Last edited: