Bad Vibrations

Antbankstwo3

I'm getting aquatinted with my GN I recently purchased. I've noticed at freeway speeds it as a vibration. Sometimes worse than others. But I can't figure out if that's based off certain speeds. I can't really tell where it's coming from. I was thinkin the wheels might need balanced. I also thought the drive shaft could be out of alignment or maybe bad motor mounts? This car sat for a long time. Wasn't taken care of at some point either.

Any suggestions/input would help. Thanks!

When my car sits all winter she vibrates at certain speeds when I bring her out for the first couple of times. Kind of scary. I know there is nothing wrong but still my imagination gets the best of me. When the roads get warmer the tire round out. Still I would check for any signs of damage to the tires. Or maybe a weight. missing.

I was chasing a significant vibration that didn't show up until 60+ mph. Figured is was just in need of a balance. Took the rear two to a local guy and asked him to balance them but asked to not have any weights visible on the outside of the wheel to mar the appearance.
Vibration never really got better so took them to a different place over the winter months and told the guy to put weights wherever they were needed to get a perfect balance. Now I also have weights on the outside and inside, but vibration is gone.

BTW, One lesson I learned over the years is, NEVER take your GN to a tire shop, no matter how good they are, to get tire/wheel work done. They'll screw up your center caps because they seem to always try pushing/banging them on after the lug nuts are in place and tightened. They may also try pulling them off like regular center caps.
I always take the tire/wheel combo to the place OFF the car!!! This is VERY important!!!!!

Mine did it at 55 and went away at 60. Hardly noticeable at 120 :)

currently cutting it the F loose

When my car sits all winter she vibrates at certain speeds when I bring her out for the first couple of times. Kind of scary. I know there is nothing wrong but still my imagination gets the best of me. When the roads get warmer the tire round out. Still I would check for any signs of damage to the tires. Or maybe a weight. missing.
HAHA! I usually do the same thing. I think, "Dang it, what is it now?":mad: LOL!

I was chasing a significant vibration that didn't show up until 60+ mph. Figured is was just in need of a balance. Took the rear two to a local guy and asked him to balance them but asked to not have any weights visible on the outside of the wheel to mar the appearance.
Vibration never really got better so took them to a different place over the winter months and told the guy to put weights wherever they were needed to get a perfect balance. Now I also have weights on the outside and inside, but vibration is gone.

BTW, One lesson I learned over the years is, NEVER take your GN to a tire shop, no matter how good they are, to get tire/wheel work done. They'll screw up your center caps because they seem to always try pushing/banging them on after the lug nuts are in place and tightened. They may also try pulling them off like regular center caps.
I always take the tire/wheel combo to the place OFF the car!!! This is VERY important!!!!!
Great Advice! Yeah, TRUST me! I just went through a HORRIBLE experience at Discount Tire. I have a set of custom powder coated rims on my '71 Skylark and they TOTALLY ruined one of them. The crazy thing is they would even own up to it either. REALLY?!!! But after battling with the manager for several days, he finally agreed to pay to fix it. It was a pain!!!!

I had both a torque converter weight fall off and cheap advanced auto brake drums that were not balanced shake the hell out of the car.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

When I bought my GN it had sat for a while also. It also had a vibration that got worse at higher speeds. At 30 it wasn't really noticeable. I borrowed a set of wheels/tires and it went away so I knew it was the tires. And I agree with TurboDave, be really careful about where you get tires mounted.

Was chasing a vibration problem that was only present at highway speeds. Ended up getting the wheels road force balanced. It did improve somewhat but the vibration was still present.

So, I removed the drive shaft & took it in to a Drive Shaft specialty shop close by. They found the front U-joint not centred in the yoke & a slight bend in the drive shaft (which they straightened & trued in a press). New Spicer 3R greaseless U joints & a balance job fixed the problem (Finally). They even gave it a fresh coat of black paint. It was the drive shaft causing my vibration issues. Cost me just under $200 with tax though.

Had the same thing, turned out to be combo of hard spot on the tire and downpipe melted the bushing on the passenger side upper a-arm. I only got the vibration at 55 mph.

I lost a driveshaft after a test run turning the car onto a side road. Just before it spit out, the vibration was horrible. Balanced and two new Spicer joints, all good. Smoother than ever actually.

I had both a torque converter weight fall off and cheap advanced auto brake drums that were not balanced shake the hell out of the car.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
That's a good thought for me to look at as well

When I bought my GN it had sat for a while also. It also had a vibration that got worse at higher speeds. At 30 it wasn't really noticeable. I borrowed a set of wheels/tires and it went away so I knew it was the tires. And I agree with TurboDave, be really careful about where you get tires mounted.
Mos Def! I have a problem trusting them with "regular" Wheels & Tires. Lol!

Was chasing a vibration problem that was only present at highway speeds. Ended up getting the wheels road force balanced. It did improve somewhat but the vibration was still present.

So, I removed the drive shaft & took it in to a Drive Shaft specialty shop close by. They found the front U-joint not centred in the yoke & a slight bend in the drive shaft (which they straightened & trued in a press). New Spicer 3R greaseless U joints & a balance job fixed the problem (Finally). They even gave it a fresh coat of black paint. It was the drive shaft causing my vibration issues. Cost me just under $200 with tax though.
I thought of that as well. Prob wouldn't be a bad idea for me to get it checked anyway. I did have it on a lift yesterday. Drive shaft looked good but u can never for surely tell.