Bad news upon pulling motor today

This is what I was eluding to that can happen when you start melting plugs as you have done. Overheating the cylinders enough to melt the plugs can cause the loss of ring tension and ring seal, along with other issues.
If your melting the plugs theres a problem.
If the electrodes had melted on the top end, I might agree with you.
Didn't you state you've never used nitrous before? Do you have any idea how fast a bad nitrous tune can take out a ground electrode? It can happen at the launch. That's why nitrous tuners will search out the shortest ground electrode they can get their hands on.
All the times that I melted a ground electrode, or popped the porcelain on a plug was before the car moved 10 feet off the line. Not really enough time to soften a piston, I would think. Enough time to fold a rod, maybe.
Amazingly, one second is all it takes if the nitrous tune is not right. A pop from the intake blow off valve as the car launched from the line would be my tell tale clue that I'd better check the plugs.

This is my theory of what was happening with the old plugs. The nitrous would hit and because of the relatively long electrode it would get hot. After the nitrous shut down, if the fuel table was a little of the lean side and with the hot electrode, preignition and an intake pop. If the porcelain popped, I could also count on finding a melted ground electrode. I've torn down the engine after occurrences like this to dig procelain out of the chamber wall and piston top, and found no other heat related damage to the engine. Just the electrode.

This used to happen with the smaller turbo, also. Back then, I was only injecting the nitrous for .4 second. Melting a ground strap can happen very fast.

thanks for the warning about vacume lines blowing off between waste gate and boost controller . and the damage it can cause . i dont exactly know how that system functions , or how it is configured to work with the fuel and ignition parameters , but i probably should , before i attempt to change any of it from stock .all i know about it is the vacume line that comes off turbo housing , goes to blow off valve , and boost controller on valve cover , somehow controls the amount of pressure pushing thru engine . i seen the pics. of your malfunction , and it just makes me kringe , to think about that happening . sorry about your luck bro . and thanks for the heads up .

while you all are on the subject...what spark plug / gap would you recommend for a stock 80 ,000 mile 87 GN ? that doesnt see any race track action , yet . just your average highway wot , once and a while , and some car show hopping , city driveing inbetween . i know i ask some roll your eyes and sigh questions , but i gotta learn somehow , and i appreciate everyones patience with . tx