Bad MAF already???

Haynesie

Hi Everyone,

Recently I started up my car, and then it immediately died. I start it up again, and then it immediately died. I did some quick research and came across a post that suggested disconnecting the MAF to see if the problem persists...it did not.

I'm I to understand that this means my MAF is bad? I purchased it along with several other parts back in early 2016. I have literally put 0 miles on the car, and have only run it in my garage while I sort out other issues (and deal with other life events). How awful are these things from the factory that you can't expect it to work after 2 years...let along 0 driving miles?

Just curious if others have had the same issue and what the best resolution would be (aside from buying another likely to fail MAF).

Thanks!

Not that uncommon with a reman stock maf which I assume you purchased??? Many go through several before getting one that would work...Get a Maf translator and get a 3" or 3.5" newer style maf...

How awful are these things from the factory that you can't expect it to work after 2 years...let along 0 driving miles?
Thanks!

The English language doesn't have any words to accurately describe how bad the stock MAFs are these days.

...yeah, should have just bought the translator and LT1 MAF...would have only cost another 200 bucks or so...I feel like our vendors should just stop carrying these things all together!

...yeah, should have just bought the translator and LT1 MAF...would have only cost another 200 bucks or so...I feel like our vendors should just stop carrying these things all together!

as long as everyone keeps buying them they will keep on selling them several years ago i bought a sample from several of the vendors just to check out what thy were selling since i have a flow bench i can easily quantify how good they work without even putting them on a car NO VENDOR had a good working stock appearing maf that was good i contacted each of them and they all got angry except one that said they were going to discontinue selling them these days unless someone has a stock unit with the big white letters BW on the bottom its junk the LS maf with the translator box out performs the original stock units and is the only way to go unless you go SD

If you hit the right wrecking yards you can get a used maf on the cheap. No real need for new. and pick up a spare just in case and you will still be way ahead. The translator, now those go quick for a used one. I finally gave up and bought new when one of the vendors was having a holiday sale.