Bad knock in Engine

1987TurboMan

Hello Everyone, Just joined today. I purchased a 1987 Turbo Regal WE4 T-Type this summer. It has 55k original miles on it and has been stored in a barn since 1998. The owner started it every summer and full and drove it around his property a little. I was told it had a bad rear main seal (oil dripping) and I and a friend put a new one in. In order to get the seal out and in we had to take one motor mount bolt out and loosed the drivers side to raise and tip the engine so the oil pan would clear. We loosened the back two or three main bearings to spin the crank a little. The job went well and in about 8 hours the job was done. It started up and ran great. I have put around 300 - 400 miles on it since the rear main seal job.
Now when I crank it or start it their is a deep knocking sound somewhere in the lower end of the engine from what we can tell. It does not sound good. We followed all the factory specs and torqued everything correctly. I am thinking this is a coincidental noise with nothing to do with our seal job but not sure. The guy that helped me has done hundreds of rear mail seals and engine rebuilds. He is very experienced.
Anybody have a clue what might have happened? Piston issue? crankshaft issue? I do not beat the car. I am in the process of detailing it and getting it on the road. It has all original paint and no rot. However, this is not something I bargained for. Any and all help would be more than appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help

SCOOBY DOO

I'M NOT A MONSTER, I'M JUST AHEAD OF THE CURVE!!!
or maybe loose converter bolts :unsure:
Dan, It's been awhile. Do the 200 flex plates have any large holes punched out of them like the SBC's? If so I had a 77 Nova drag car back in my youth that would crack in between the holes in the flex plate, and you'd swear it was a rod knock.

Grumpy

Thread killer
Dan, It's been awhile. Do the 200 flex plates have any large holes punched out of them like the SBC's? If so I had a 77 Nova drag car back in my youth that would crack in between the holes in the flex plate, and you'd swear it was a rod knock.
yes they do....
only time I found a cracked flexplate was back in the early 90's. Customer had just replaced the trans. weelll he forgot to tighten the bolts. He was out clubbing an the car wouldn't move an the car was rapping bad. He wanted out. He was tired of it. So towed it home an found the loose trans. tightened everything up an it worked :cool: Drove it around the block a started to really rap. So undoing the converter I could see a crack. swapped it out an it was fine. only other one I had problems with was the Chinese SFI one . didn't crack but it was bent to hell.
Have had my fair share of loose converter bolts. They can make a racket :unsure:
:rolleyes:

Remove Ads From TurboBuick.Com

Yearly amount needed to remove ads from TurboBuick.Com
Goal
$12,000.00
Received
$2,246.00