Bad cam sensor

87GNSteve

Just another pretty face....
Is there anything the could cause premature cam sensor failure. I installed a new one and 200 miles later code 41 and car no start.
I had a spare and swapped the cap now the car starts.
Is there something I should assess further so this one doesn't die like the last one? I have never had one go bad, could this just be a defect?

Besure the sensor drive does not have a lot of slop, if it hits the cap it "may" shorten its life

It might have turned Alil but just enough to throw the code . Did u torque it down to spec ?

It might have turned Alil but just enough to throw the code . Did u torque it down to spec ?
That will not through a code-it will make it run incorrectly if at all--code 41 is no cam signal and the engine will not start--not cam sensor out of adjustment--there's no code for that unless you have a TR6 ignition

I also suspected the module; but reading one old thread Caspers said if the car starts when cold it is the module, if no start cam sensor. It's hard for me to accept a brand new sensor hardly any miles failed.
When I took it out the cap I plugged it into my cam timing tool and it would flash when rotated...so I'm going to keep an eye on it.
This car has been fighting me tooth and nail in almost every area.

Ran into a problem like this a while back. Turned out to be a bad weatherpak connection....in this case one of the female terminals in the engine harness for the cam sensor was spread. It would work with some caps and not with others because of the slight difference in size of the male pins cap to cap. Replaced the female pin in the engine harness and all was well.

Well I think it is the module. I went for a short ride and car started to break up and I made it back to my street but it died a few houses away. Needed a neighbor to tow me home. Swapped ECM to be sure, still no start. I removed coil and module assm and tested and it would not even give the smallest spark.

I've seen 5 cars in the last 2 years that had broken wires or intermittent terminal connection. Twice the wire was broken inside the insulation. Re-pinning the module connector terminals, crank sensor connector terminals, cam sensor weatherpack and replacing sections of wire are more and more common. Using the flow chart works almost every time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk