Backspacing question

tt455

Is 4-7/8" too much BS on a 15 x 8.5 wheel? Tire would be 275/60 going on an 87 Turbo T car. Ty

Should be fine.

If you can, find somebody with an old tire they'll give you and get it mounted on your wheels and test fit it to be sure.

I'll echo replies here. 275/60 on 15x8 w/ 4" BS is 1/2" from frame rail on each side on my car. Going with 7/8" more BS but only a 1/2" wider wheel I bet would rub when cornering. Small spacer and extended lugs might get you there.

For other reference I looked at a few other club cars last weekend with 275/60 on 15x10's with 4.5" BS and they had around 3/4" clearance to the frame.

It won't fit. Ran a 4.5 inch backspace with a 7/32 spacer with the 275/60/15 DR on my car.

IMG_4807.JPG

So I am going to go with a 15x9 with 4.75 with a drag radial 275/60/15, no rolled lips and no notch. Will it fit? Billet specialties said it would.

If you look at the section width's of drag radials you will see a variance between hoosier and M/T..and between their tires models...the hoosier lists the slimest,fwiw.

... betting a 9" with the 275/60 with 4.75 back ,will rub the frame. Fwiw,, 8" rim 4" back fits very nice and will give an honest 10" of rubber to the road.

Iron drums
I'm betting dollars to donuts you'll need a spacer like I did. All you can do now is bolt it on and see where you're at. As I said previously, I knew mine would fit with a spacer as Grumpy ran the same wheel width/tire/backspace.

I'm betting dollars to donuts you'll need a spacer like I did. All you can do now is bolt it on and see where you're at. As I said previously, I knew mine would fit with a spacer as Grumpy ran the same wheel width/tire/backspace.

This thread has changed direction a couple times, but with a 9” (4.5” B.S.) wheel it will move the tire centerline out 1/2” compared to an 8” (4.5” B.S.) wheel and should pull the sidewall off the frame about the same.
I’ll add this here as it’s posted on his other thread as well.
This would be compared to his existing tire and wheel setup and based on having 1/2” clearance to the frame.
You’re right, if he needs more room he can go to aluminum drums or add a small spacer.

FED3E143-58ED-4482-BC7B-731D5A8716DA.jpeg