Backfire problem.

jay dcpt

So when I go to build boost most of the time the car will backfire out the intake. I put on a different maf that I got from a board member here and the car ran way better. It would stumble at idle before. When I look at my scan tool my maf,int,blm,tps all seem to be doing what there supposed to. As far as running lean and rich and all that stuff. The car is stock except for a tt chip, fuel pump hotwire and afpr. I'm thinking maybe it's an ignition problem. Car has brand new plugs and wires just factory stuff. I was wondering if maybe I should. Pull the plugs and see if one looks off. What would you guys be looking at. I can ease into it and build boost most of the time but if I floor it it will backfire usually around 10psi. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Mine is doing the same thing. My cam sensor has slack in it up and down. You can crank the car and unplug the sensor and run it. If the problem goes away its probably your cam sensor. I'm going to send mine off to get rebuilt.

Check the hose going to turbo fitting . They dry rot or blow off. I had to zip tie mine

I will but I'm pretty positive those are good. I got a ignition module from AutoZone going to put it on after work and see what happens.

You can't trust ignition modules. I finally gave up and went with Bailey's TR6 set up and never looked back.

I know I know but I here that set up isn't cheap and for a hundred bucks I figure I'll give it a try. How much did the tr6 setup cost you when it was all said and done?

Yes I looked at the cam sensor alot and I'm pretty confident that's not my problem but I am no expert. I will put on the module tomorrow and report back.

Using the tool won't always fix these issues. Sometimes it still requires a slight turn.

So I bought a module from AutoZone and a coil from O'Reilly. Put it on the car and it wouldn't even run. Disconnected the original module from the original coil and noticed to cracked tabs on the coil. Put the new coil on my original module and car ran perfectly. It pisses me off that AutoZone can sell such crap with certain parts

Glad you figured out your issue!! Turns out my cam sensor was fine and my crank sensor was out of adjustment. Alot of small things can turn into a pain in the rear. Ha