Blue Upper Door Panels for Manual Windows

dmarx

So, had a conversation with a retired Buick engineer who is a turbo guru. He said if the computer on my '79 turbo went bad, it would still run on 110 Octane racing fuel. Does this make sense?
Dan

cluster regal 54080 front.jpg

The 79' does not have a computer. It does have a knock sensor that triggers spark retard when it senses knock. I think what he meant was that higher octane fuel will help suppress detonation. If your spark retard is not working and you are running at stock boost pressure it will definitely be safer to run higher octane fuel. Keep in mind that the higher the boost, the more chance of detonation and there is a point the extra octane won't be enough to help. I know of a few guys that have done away with those antique spark boxes and run race gas with mechanical advance distributors in race only applications. I'd be afraid to do that on a street car. Although I haven't personally tried one, The J&S Safegaurd system seems to be best way to control detonation on the old hot air cars.

J&S works great on these, as well as having it on more modern engines too.
Man is saying: Just having enough octane to cover spark knock in case the ESC dies.
We2Regal has it right