Back in the eighties...

Mr. Michael

Hey would you look at that. Here is my old thread from 2016!

I am back again, got another 1987, and I am that much older now.

A Family friend passed away some time ago, I asked the family about the Buick and paid up (retail). Its a very nice unit. Low options (again), doors shut nice, no rattles, runs really well (now). The previous owner (owner #2 since 1990) luv-luved the car but was not too mechanical. He had the vacuum hoses misrouted (boost all wrong), trans TV cable incorrectly set (shifted into forth by 25mph), among other simple things. But he was serious about the shine! The car is gorgeous. Perfect paint. Interior is neat & tidy. Pretty GNX style wheels, super Magnaflow exhaust and some expensive (better than average) cold air kit. It seems to be a gem.

It has been a great experience to date. I started lurking here again right after I titled the car! Anyhow, there is nothing like a GN. Glad to be back.

IMG_3613.jpg

Hey would you look at that. Here is my old thread from 2016!

I am back again, got another 1987, and I am that much older now.

A Family friend passed away some time ago, I asked the family about the Buick and paid up (retail). Its a very nice unit. Low options (again), doors shut nice, no rattles, runs really well (now). The previous owner (owner #2 since 1990) luv-luved the car but was not too mechanical. He had the vacuum hoses misrouted (boost all wrong), trans TV cable incorrectly set (shifted into forth by 25mph), among other simple things. But he was serious about the shine! The car is gorgeous. Perfect paint. Interior is neat & tidy. Pretty GNX style wheels, super Magnaflow exhaust and some expensive (better than average) cold air kit. It seems to be a gem.

It has been a great experience to date. I started lurking here again right after I titled the car! Anyhow, there is nothing like a GN. Glad to be back.

View attachment 384941
You pass the test.... once a Turbo Buick lover always one. Glad you're back Lurking, only thing that had changed is inflation and the value of our cars. Looks has if you got a beauty :cool:.

Thanks gents. It looks stock under the hood (other than CAI). I have not even taken a photo under there.

Its painful at the pump with it. I owned my 1st one when high octane gas was about a buck a gallon... Gotta pay to play I guess.

Thanks gents. It looks stock under the hood (other than CAI). I have not even taken a photo under there.

Its painful at the pump with it. I owned my 1st one when high octane gas was about a buck a gallon... Gotta pay to play I guess.
Yell I remembered those days of a dollar for a Gal of premium .Thanks goodness I only burn at most 4 full tanks of gas a year. I hope you're not on the west coast CA or AZ, well over six dollars a Gal for premium.:ROFLMAO:

I’m curious what CAI you have. I still run the Kenne-bell ram air setup I bought in ‘89. I updated it with a 4” filter, 85mm maf and a 3 1/2” maf pipe. I know it’s not the best system out there, but I like the looks of it.

I remember thinking I was nuts to pay $3.99/ gal for 100 octane no lead on the way to the track. Aah, the good ole’ days. Lol

I’m curious what CAI you have. I still run the Kenne-bell ram air setup I bought in ‘89. I updated it with a 4” filter, 85mm maf and a 3 1/2” maf pipe. I know it’s not the best system out there, but I like the looks of it.

I see a lot of these that the filter is sitting right up by the radiator support (taking in hot air) but the one I have here heads 90 degrees down & drops the intake filter to nearly the pavement (I can see the filter sticking down below the front spoiler!). Now I know that more 90 degree bends will reduce flow gains, but getting the air from out of the engine bay is bound to be better.

Back in the day I removed the high beam headlight & sent air to the intake tract from there (sota like a Hellcat does today). But this one gets air from behind that lower spoiler.

IMG_3711.jpg

The T-Force (I think) guy made probably the best ram air I ever saw for these cars but when the Torquemaster was revealed to be two switches and an LED for $100, he kind of lost cred.

The T-Force (I think) guy made probably the best ram air I ever saw for these cars but when the Torquemaster was revealed to be two switches and an LED for $100, he kind of lost cred.
What was the Torquemaster supposed to be?

What was the Torquemaster supposed to be?
LOL

Keep in mind that these cars were really new in 1988-89.

The Torquemaster basically was a box with two buttons and a LED on it. One button locked the torque converter, the other displayed diagnostic codes through the check engine light. Basically it just shorted some ALDL pins together. It was also potted so you couldnt see what was inside it. Probably cost less than $10 to make.

The guy who sold it claimed it locked the converter differently than shorting the pins. Some real characters back in the day.

Last edited:

I would be interested to see a photo of the ram air if available.

Jay's right, that was a very rare cold air intake. I vaguely remember seeing an ad for it in, IIRC, "The Source" monthly news letter.
I've been real happy running TR Custom Part's kits on 2 of my cars. I prefer the Original Big Mouth kit as it routes the cold air pipe through the radiator core support and locates the cone filter just about level with the bottom of the front air dam. If you were to run a Kenne Bell front air dam with the ram air hole, it would direct air straight into the filter. The other cold air kit he offers has you cutting a hole in the inner fender bottom to route the cold air pipe and filter closer to the tire and a-arm. Some people don't even know about his site but he's still offering some outstanding products. Check them out if you're looking for something different and unique.
buickgn. com

Patrick

I have put about 1000 miles on this latest '87 now. It is just fantastic. Changed the oil (with ZDDP additive) and fixed a leak, installed new shocks (KYB), adjusted the Flowmaster exhaust (tips were wrong), put in the spark plugs everyone likes here, then went & laid a bunch of rubber.

IMG_9400.jpg

I like the GNX look wheels it is riding on but would trade out to a nice set of stock originals if anyone is interested.