Back in the eighties...

Mr. Michael

Great ride!! I would love to see some under hood photos.
I took some photos! Dig my red hot leads?! Pretty basic but man... You go to a Cars & Coffee and it brings all the boys to the yard. :cool:

IMG_3779.jpg

JayC

T6P.Com/TB.com Administrator/Webmaster
Staff member
The T-Force (I think) guy made probably the best ram air I ever saw for these cars but when the Torquemaster was revealed to be two switches and an LED for $100, he kind of lost cred.

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
The T-Force (I think) guy made probably the best ram air I ever saw for these cars but when the Torquemaster was revealed to be two switches and an LED for $100, he kind of lost cred.
What was the Torquemaster supposed to be?

JayC

T6P.Com/TB.com Administrator/Webmaster
Staff member
What was the Torquemaster supposed to be?
LOL

Keep in mind that these cars were really new in 1988-89.

The Torquemaster basically was a box with two buttons and a LED on it. One button locked the torque converter, the other displayed diagnostic codes through the check engine light. Basically it just shorted some ALDL pins together. It was also potted so you couldnt see what was inside it. Probably cost less than $10 to make.

The guy who sold it claimed it locked the converter differently than shorting the pins. Some real characters back in the day.

Last edited:

1986 Buick GX1

GX1 #001 [The One and Only]

I would be interested to see a photo of the ram air if available.

RUQWKNF

KEEPER OF SECRETS
Staff member
Jay's right, that was a very rare cold air intake. I vaguely remember seeing an ad for it in, IIRC, "The Source" monthly news letter.
I've been real happy running TR Custom Part's kits on 2 of my cars. I prefer the Original Big Mouth kit as it routes the cold air pipe through the radiator core support and locates the cone filter just about level with the bottom of the front air dam. If you were to run a Kenne Bell front air dam with the ram air hole, it would direct air straight into the filter. The other cold air kit he offers has you cutting a hole in the inner fender bottom to route the cold air pipe and filter closer to the tire and a-arm. Some people don't even know about his site but he's still offering some outstanding products. Check them out if you're looking for something different and unique.
buickgn. com

Patrick

Mr. Michael

I have put about 1000 miles on this latest '87 now. It is just fantastic. Changed the oil (with ZDDP additive) and fixed a leak, installed new shocks (KYB), adjusted the Flowmaster exhaust (tips were wrong), put in the spark plugs everyone likes here, then went & laid a bunch of rubber.

IMG_9400.jpg

I like the GNX look wheels it is riding on but would trade out to a nice set of stock originals if anyone is interested.