b4black '82 GN project

Great deals are out there. I'll start a thread for mine sometime soon. My first project car was a 79 monte carlo and It was in 8.5 point condition, I paid 1700..guy was moving and couldn't keep it and needed to unload it. It needed a new rear shock and bath, that was it. Just have to have a good eye and be patient is all. My uncle just bought a 69 GTO for $2000 running and numbers matching. some surface rust but a solid car, no rot.

Guys, let's stop hijacking Rich's thread so he can post about the car he's doing rather than a lot of BS like in other threads.;)

I know your pain all to well! To many cars! Not enough space or wifely permission!:D

That's been my problem - too many projects! The wife problem fixed itself. Now I store one of my GN's in my ex-wifes garage. ;) That freed up the space to start this project.

The projects are this '82 GN, the '83 T Type I bracket race, an '02 Regal GS daily driver, and a '96 Diesel Ram. The '02 GS has gotten the attention lately - I installed headers and then found the intercooler was leaking coolant into the intake. Been goofin' around with that for the last month. And now my brother gave me his 1992 Olds 88 - it has a 3800 V6 but needs lots of work before I let my daughter drive it (she starts driver's ed in two weeks!). Plus everyone I know wants me to fix thier crap cars too!

Here is how long this '82 GN start waiting it's turn:
IMAG1149.jpg
Time flies when you're fixing broken cars. :)

That's been my problem - too many projects! The wife problem fixed itself. Now I store one of my GN's in my ex-wifes garage. ;) That freed up the space to start this project.

The projects are this '82 GN, the '83 T Type I bracket race, an '02 Regal GS daily driver, and a '96 Diesel Ram. The '02 GS has gotten the attention lately - I installed headers and then found the intercooler was leaking coolant into the intake. Been goofin' around with that for the last month. And now my brother gave me his 1992 Olds 88 - it has a 3800 V6 but needs lots of work before I let my daughter drive it (she starts driver's ed in two weeks!). Plus everyone I know wants me to fix thier crap cars too!

Here is how long this '82 GN start waiting it's turn:
View attachment 196735
Time flies when you're fixing broken cars. :)

I would have never guessed! You go Rich! You really are just like us!:D:D

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

You just made me feel better Rich.;) Mine's not going near as fast as I'd like but since I've had it, at least it hasn't been sitting as long as yours.

Some small progress. The old trans crossmember was a rusted on one end. I found another in my junkyard (basement) that was in great shape. Installed that with new bushings from gbodyparts.com . Also added a BMI driveshaft loop from Full Throttle Speed & Style. Cleaned up the trans tunnel and the converter heat shield (no rust under the ¼" of grime!).

If you look along the pinch weld on the left of the picture, you'll see the factory notch that's cut to make room for the downpipe. The "84" on the firewall is original as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0050.JPG
    IMG_0050.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 172
Thats always nice when u get those oily cars. Good rust preserver.my buddydrug one from a field thatwas wrecked and it had no rust. Doors were like new. Dumb ass sold it for 300 bucks

So I had been struggling with what to do for exhaust. I could go with '83 tube headers (but they crack easily), I could go with 1980 cast manifolds like I did on my '83 T Type (heavy) or try the new speed daddy headers (which need lots of work to fit right).

I always regretted passing up on a used Poston passenger side header for $50 at the GSCA nationals (years and years ago). Last week I found a set of brand new Poston headers on ebay. Did 't make the same mistake twice. :D

IMG_0061.JPGIMG_0060.JPG

Well I guess I need to add another search to my evilbay now Rich.:mad: How much did you end up spending on them?

$280 plus shipping. I think that's great - I know they were much more expensive through Postons. The speed daddy headers might be cheaper, but I don't weld, so I would have to take them somewhere. I like that these can use the stock up pipe and crossover. They came with copper header gaskets as well.

I doubt it. Poston's was a small outfit, so I don't this they would be able to go through the nightmare of CARB approval.

But on the other hand, they look very close to stock '83 tube headers and I can't see any inspector being able to tell the difference (especially once buried under the up and down pipes). The have all same OEM connections and O2 bung.

So my plan on the engine was to get a decent running 4.1 out of a LeSabre or whatnot and use it as is. Finally came across a good deal a couple of years ago. Complete 1982 4.1 motor for $400. Plus the seller has a shop and is into Buick V6's. So I added a few things - new rings & bearings, ported heads and roller cam. Also installed a new timing cover, PF-24 oil pump cover and turbo intake that I already had. Yes, it still has the stock 4.1 (non-turbo) pistons. I discussed it with the builder - he has the same pistons in his SFI 4.1 engine and run 11's, so I'm going with it. :)

It's not staying black. Most 1982 turbo engines I have seen are silver. That's boring. This one is going to be Buick red. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0052.JPG
    IMG_0052.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 137
Still looks pretty much the same, but I have made progress. Spent hours and hours scrapping oil and goo from the frame and floorboard. Painted everything satin black. Heater core was repalced and the AC box resealed (thanks for the help Dave!) The steering column wasn't original and had issues, so that's been swapped with another from an '82 GN. The front bumper had a steel reinforcement - happen to find an aluminum one at the junkyard (which is why the parking lights went from clear to orange in the above pictures). Added the missing body bushing at positions #3 and #4 (#7 still to come). Rustwise, the underside is great - tanks to all that oil. ;)

Found good wiring harnesses. I had planned to go with 1983 wiring and ECM in order to use the newer knock snesor, but they are subtle differances that make it complicated. I'm going to go with 1982 ECM for now. It works with the 350C trans to provide lock up in all gears at WOT.

Speaking of the 350C - here it is! Back from Trans Pro in Lansing, IL
View attachment 196300View attachment 196301

Stayed with the lockup. That's a 10" 2800 stall converter. 5 clutch direct drum. Shift kit. Deep aluminum pan.

Time start putting things back together! :D
did the 82's come with the 350c ? what gearing do you plan to use?

So my plan on the engine was to get a decent running 4.1 out of a LeSabre or whatnot and use it as is. Finally came across a good deal a couple of years ago. Complete 1982 4.1 motor for $400. Plus the seller has a shop and is into Buick V6's. So I added a few things - new rings & bearings, ported heads and roller cam. Also installed a new timing cover, PF-24 oil pump cover and turbo intake that I already had. Yes, it still has the stock 4.1 (non-turbo) pistons. I discussed it with the builder - he has the same pistons in his SFI 4.1 engine and run 11's, so I'm going with it. :)

It's not staying black. Most 1982 turbo engines I have seen are silver. That's boring. This one is going to be Buick red. :D
thats good news I plan on trying to use a 4.1 in mine as well if I can find one

did the 82's come with the 350c ? what gearing do you plan to use?

Yes, it's the original trans to the car. I'm going to stock with the stock 3.08 gear for now. I have a posi carrier for it somewhere in the garage out of another '82 TR.