whats going on ?

turbocamino1

turboholic
It's time i upgrade my GN rear,,,I had come across this before and saved the part # ,,want to be sure it's all thats needed? @Strange Engineering
GM 10 & 12 Bolt Pro Race Axle Package
With C-Clip Eliminator kit & 1/2" Studs

$546.00

Part Number: P1011GDR

what do you have in the carrier now ?
if stock 8.5" rear the 28 spline pkg will work but you will need to remove axle end seals and bearing and then cut off the ends of the axle tubes and drill four holes to bolt the eliminators on , and if you dont order the elims and studs installed you'll need a shop press to install the eliminators on the axle and to press the studs in ,
he kit has 1/2" studs (1/2-20) so youll need some 1/2" open lugnuts for the wheels you plan to run (cone or shank style)
the 30spline axles would need a 30 spline posi or a spool as well as larger carrier side bearings, new ring gear bolts and a carrier shim kit
the 33spline needs a spool as there is no posi 33spline unit for the 8.5 rear (only for GM 12bolt)

I recommend calling them to discuss your needs. They custom build each per your application. I'm running the Strange 30 spline axles in my car but I replaced the carrier as well. If you are street driving the car, you want the tapered roller bearing set up. Mine have been in car for 5 years and I drive on the street a lot. Never an issue - Highly recommend Strange!

I need elminators too. I've been looking at that kit for 28 spline. I have an Eaton thats in great shape and don't want to have to upgrade to a 30 spline. Goal is low 10s.

what do you have in the carrier now ?
if stock 8.5" rear the 28 spline pkg will work but you will need to remove axle end seals and bearing and then cut off the ends of the axle tubes and drill four holes to bolt the eliminators on , and if you dont order the elims and studs installed you'll need a shop press to install the eliminators on the axle and to press the studs in ,
he kit has 1/2" studs (1/2-20) so youll need some 1/2" open lugnuts for the wheels you plan to run (cone or shank style)
the 30spline axles would need a 30 spline posi or a spool as well as larger carrier side bearings, new ring gear bolts and a carrier shim kit
the 33spline needs a spool as there is no posi 33spline unit for the 8.5 rear (only for GM 12bolt)
The rear is stock except for welded tubes and a girdle.A friend has been into 10 and 12 bolts many times and will help me with this,,,didnt expect to have to cut the axles though,,, Strange offers to press on the elims and the studs listed as 'scew in' Hoping the send good directions for fitment. i did find the billet 1/2-20 billet lugs for champion wheels. Thanks Paul

I recommend calling them to discuss your needs. They custom build each per your application. I'm running the Strange 30 spline axles in my car but I replaced the carrier as well. If you are street driving the car, you want the tapered roller bearing set up. Mine have been in car for 5 years and I drive on the street a lot. Never an issue - Highly recommend Strange!
I do plan to call them for this order,,and that the tapered brngs can be substituted or can be used instead of whats in the kit? The car will be making a lot of HP soon but only seeing a sticky track once or twice a season on a 275 radial,,and only off the foot brake,, could go bad with the stock ring gear and carrier though.

elim instructs .. http://www.strangeengineering.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/File-1405372805.pdf

some tips
stuff a damp rag in tube before cutting tube end and clean axle end and backer plate with wire wheel
use right stuf rtv to seal the elim to the backer and be sure to get rtv behind the plate
after the holes are drilled in axle flange and studs in the elim half , double check fit of elim to the backer plate as ive found the upper corners of the elim hit high spots on the backer , you can grind those down on the plate or grind off the corners of the elim
and if you have large wheel cylinders expect the parking brake bar to be tight

Last edited:
I do plan to call them for this order,,and that the tapered brngs can be substituted or can be used instead of whats in the kit? The car will be making a lot of HP soon but only seeing a sticky track once or twice a season on a 275 radial,,and only off the foot brake,, could go bad with the stock ring gear and carrier though.
I've seen the stock center section survive.... I upgraded mine to the Eaton trutrack locker with a new ring and pinon. It has never missed a beat. Countless 10 second passes. Many 1.5-1.7 short times off foot brake. The locker performs flawlessly on the street as well. I'm running the stock aluminum drums. I will say this after doing all the work and comparing the cost I wished I would have sold the 8.5 rear and went with a 9". The cost wasn't drastically different plus your axle is worth $1000 if the posi works. Also modifying the axle ends is quite the job if you don't have the right tools. If you compare Strange axles to Moser, Strange has a larger diameter.