Average repaint cost?

erikelvis

Looking to have a proper repaint with glass removed and whatever else to do it properly. Car has some minor dings and scratches. Rust isn’t an issue. What’s a roundabout estimate to do this? I’ve was thinking I’ll have around a 10k budget.

56ACAD55-46B2-4E72-8F10-950A20844044.jpeg

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
I’ve was thinking I’ll have around a 10k budget.
Close.
Things that might add/subtract from that.
** You do/don't do all the disassembly/reassembly.
** Car is stripped to bare metal.
Around here, IF you can find someone to do it RIGHT, is $85/90 hr, plus materials.
Materials are sometimes a point of contention. Hi end or mid grade. BIG differences.
The last gallon of PPG DBU blue we bought was $1200 with reducer and a gallon of clear and its components.
The last complete we had done was a 67 GTO. Stripped before it went to the body shop.
Body work, labor, materials = $15K. Customer had to do most all of the assembly.
Personally, I think he got screwed, as there were several areas for "redo".
Around here, body shops that do resto work, are on the same respect level as Biden, da ho, and lawyers.!
BEFORE you send the car to body shop purgatory, talk to a LOT of folks that have had them do work.

Today we're on our way to pick up my buds 33 roadster street rod that was wrecked. We did the body work, the shop did the paint. Supposedly a 60 day deal to paint it, is now 15 months.

erikelvis

Thanks guys. Yeah I’m not sure who’s good and who to stay away from around here. I know of one that does a lot of high end classics close to me but something tells me 10k won’t cover it. I could take the car apart the best I can but don’t know how to remove glass. I’ve heard some horror stories of body shop purgatory.

erikelvis

Thanks guys. Yeah I’m not sure who’s good and who to stay away from around here. I know of one that does a lot of high end classics close to me but something tells me 10k won’t cover it. I could take the car apart the best I can but don’t know how to remove glass. I’ve heard some horror stories of body shop purgatory.
I don’t need show quality but would like better than driver quality. If there’s such a thing.