Autox Howdy

turbotoddie

Howdy guys
My name is Todd Farris and I used to autox a cloned 89 TTA. It has been sitting for over 10 years and I am planning on resurrecting it. Back when I ran it up until the early 2000s with SCCA, the rules restricted me to stock MAF, thottle body and computer. I was looking at the Holley system and E85 this time around. The motor is basically a mild street package due to having to run a restrictor in the turbo inlet. I would like to learn the Holley system before upgrading the motor. Just looking at it compared to all the modern turbo projects, I can't believe how much power the little throttle body will let you make. What is everyone running nowadays? Turbo piping size, throttle body size, headers? FWIW, car is gutted, caged and weighs 2600lbs.

Todd Farris
currently SCCA CP196 Camaro
formerly CP96 Turbo Trans Am

Welcome!

I'm still running 3" inlet piping to the turbo, a large neck intercooler inlet, and the stock up-pipe into the stock throttlebody. Exhaust is a KB-style system from TR Custom parts. The two biggest improvements I made for autocrossing were tires, and a blow off valve. It cut lag after a throttle lift down from 1.2 seconds to less than 0.25 seconds. Made the car much easier to drive.

I ran my car with an essentially stock set up. Stock turbo and pipes. The biggest thing to plan around (if you care) is what group (SCCA, Good Guys, etc..) you want to run with and what classes you are aiming for. Pretty sure in SCCA E85 bumps you up Street Modified or at least a Prepared class right off the bat. If you are just going for fun it’s a non issue, but if trying to be competitive Our displacement and turbo make the engine not fit into many classes.

I ran in Street Prepared and did pretty well locally. Just need to have a game plan of where you are trying to go.

I ran my car with an essentially stock set up. Stock turbo and pipes. The biggest thing to plan around (if you care) is what group (SCCA, Good Guys, etc..) you want to run with and what classes you are aiming for. Pretty sure in SCCA E85 bumps you up Street Modified or at least a Prepared class right off the bat. If you are just going for fun it’s a non issue, but if trying to be competitive Our displacement and turbo make the engine not fit into many classes.

I ran in Street Prepared and did pretty well locally. Just need to have a game plan of where you are trying to go.

My car, affectionately known as the Turd, highest finish was 5th during the 2000 SCCA Solo Nationals in CPrepared. E85 is legal in Prepared as well. My car is set up with a 3 link rear with a 9in, manual valve body turbo 350 and a pretty stock front suspension. It is gutted, caged, 16x12 slicks with Wilwood calipers and Wide 5 hubs. Will try and post some pics later.

E85 doesn't necessarily bump you. It's the modifications to handle it. Injectors and the ECM modifications bump you to SM, not the fuel.

If you want to run SCCA on a street tire, run CAM.

haven't been around in awhile, finishing up the first year of running my own business. What a time sucking pain!

FWIW, the Turd has had both 3.8 turbo blocks and a 4.1 block once. I have had issues breaking cranks after a couple of years typically. I have never been able to determine if the block is flexing causing the failure to the crank or if the crank itself is failing. For oiling, we modified a Moroso road race weld up kit for a small block Chevy to the Buick pan. Biggest problem is finding front covers that have reasonable clearance for the oil pump gears as well as setting a good oil pressure to handle the heat but no so high it overheats the oil.

The plan is to go megasquirt now that the rules have relaxed. I think it will be a weapon at 2550lbs, e85, and thinking of going with a powerglide for autox. Hope to have it running like this in April.

As for the driving part, I was the 2011 Solo CP National Champion in a camaro that myself and a partner campaigned. It can be seen at www.oversteergarage.com

turbotoddie