Autolite copper 104s... what gap?

Quick bringback. I have a 3.5 pulley, highly ported front manifold, 3" down pipe, u bend delete, bone stock exhaust after that, 3" jmb fwi, 160 t-stat, cleaned and flowed 42 pound injectors off my GN, 2 heat range cooler plugs, 1.9 rockers, and a dyno tune from zzp. Ran a 14.6 at 98 in 90 degree weather, (2000 dollars later and I ran a bone stock time...great.) with a horrible short time. What do you think headers will do to this car? My top end seems to suck, while on the freeway as well.
And, why do people always gravitate torwards deleting their resonator? It's a straight thru design. There's no restriction. My questions are, have you done each of these exhaust mods separately, so that you can assess their effectiveness individually? Would putting headers on be a waste, if I kept my cat?

IMO Headers by their very nature to FLOW will prolly net you .15 1/4 and maybe 1-.7 mph? The cat if u keep it WILL hold u back, unless its one of those nice magnaflow hiflow types. Noticed you modded the FRONT manifold....but didnt mention the REAR...? If i remember right, ZZP stated that the Rear manifold was the worst in airflow besides the U-bend. Headers With a cat is kinda like fighting with a foot in a bucket. Besides, Headers will allow you to grow and reach far more potential than the stock manifolds....(I can already hear the GN crowd snickering how they made the 10's with their stock manifolds...). And DONT get discouraged yet! You should realize you were making runs in weather conditions that would make a lot of us stay home! 90 degrees in a forced induction car without an intercooler or other temp reducing mods??? Nooooo thank you! lol Whats motivating for MY case is with a an addition of 1.9 rockers, and ZZP "power pill" with sunoco racing 110... I'm running the SAME times in 80 degree weather that i was in 50-60 degree weather! I'm Stoked, BRING ON the Cold nights!!!
Oh, and I too ended up replacing the stock monster of a Resonator and going with a Magnaflow glasspack....believe it or not...the car is EVEN QUIETER! All u hear is supercharger!! For the doubters --> Homestead Speedway 3-11-2011 - YouTube i'm at the 2:06 minute mark giving a new camaro SS a hard time!

If your town demand emissions inspections... Get a hiflow cat($$$)...(gutting cat yourself is Free...10-15HP) Getting headers WITH the same cat still in place...hmmmm...prolly not a lot of improvement(5-15HP?vs the $$$ for headers...) Do u have a spare cat somewhere for just emissions purposes? Dont wanna steer u into trouble for only a few ponies, u kno?

OH, I had failed to mention IF you do gut the cat yourself for free...you WILL get a service engine light to come on....We have TWO O2 sensors in these things...one at the manifold which is the IMPORTANT one....and one after the cat which is merely there to tell u the cat is functioning properly and according to ZZP make No changes in data imput to the PCM for engine performance functions. Sooooo in essence all that light will do is bug the hell outta you:p. The O2 simulator plug is like $20+ so its a simple fix. HTH

the stock cat on a w body is supposed to outflow a "hi flow" magnaflow unit.

the front manifold is the big restriction in the manifold system and should be replaced with a powerlog or even better headers , zzp stopped porting fronts as even with welding in more material to be able to port thegains were minimal.

90* temps is likely your biggest issue with your times- if your going to race with it that hot often a real small shot of spray just to get some cold intake charge in there would help a lot ,even a little 20 shot would give much larger gains just from charge cooling.

your combo should be solid 13's in decent weather (DA under 500 feet)

WHAT HE SAID! heheheh. Glad SOMEONE was paying attention. I Goofed. So it was the factory FRONT manifold that was the choker, not the rears. If his cat flows just fine... do we just say GO FOR some HEADERS? MI should be getting colder sooner than it will down here in south Florida! lol

Yea, I seen that rear manifold flow comment, and realized it was an error. No biggie. As far as the stock cat outflowing the new magnaflow? I don't discount it, but that's kinda odd. I'd love to do some real world testing on that. I wonder if my cat is clogged.... Hmmm. And I'm not worried about emissions. I don't, and will never let a state tell me what they think I should run on my car. I pay the bills, so I say what goes. :) They can kiss my ass.

I'm going to eventually end up with headers anyhow. I just want to see what deleting my cat would do for me in this time frame. I still think it would help me big time.

I also have some info I'd like to share with the board. I've been doing some research over the last few days, and was pleasantly suprised. First off, spark plugs. Precious metals vs. standard issue copper cores. Total bull**** myth. Plain old copper cores are not better than the precious metal plugs. Iridiums are what's supposed to be in modded L67's, hands down. I asked a bunch of questions to the tech guy at ngk, to see what's what. I made sure to ask in such a way, as to gain information only, so as not to allow him to biasedly steer me torwards a certain plug. Maybe this is why I'm getting soo many misfires in my car...
Secondly, alcohol injection. Without going into too much detail, I've figured out a way to reliably spray alky/meth into our cars, without any troubles. All I need is the third piece to the puzzle; an expert tuner. If I can find this tuner, I have a killer deal I'd like to release. What meth does to our GN's, is nothing short of amazing; it's like a hundred shot of nitrous, with no side effects. It's awesome...

Hmmmm...FREE HP vs engine light for gutting the cat....Do EEEEET! lol.

I recently swapped out my NGK-TR6's for NGK-TR6ix's and i could swear my gas mileage went down from 30's mpg to 27 at 70mph. My gap on the TR-6s was about .045 and did well at the track even at 11.7psi with 110 race gas. Out of the box the NGK ix's were .034. This is awesome for preventing spark blow out in say our TRs at over 20psi ... but in my little 03 GS?? next week i'm going to try to do a side by side test drive of ix's VS TR6 coppers and see if i get my mpg back and maybe a little track time in the 1/8 too. I was getting consistent 34mpg before....now 27mpg hwy. Cant blame it only on the plugs gap and materials, but the heavy 23.5lbs 17's wheels and 1.0 PCM maybe.

Didnt somebody somewhere say Alchy eats up the coating on our rotors on our M90s?

alky eating the coating off the rotors has been mentioned but in the l67 world there is a lot of little un proven myths that get passed on and I am as guilty as anyone... its the nature of the beast its not like GN/T type modding where lots of people have taken the platform very far and there is 25 years of experience on top of that. The cars came out in 97 and I dont think anyone really stared modding any of them for a couple years so only 10 years of development and most have been very mild mods.

I have questioned many times when people say they tried alky and there were no gains , the answer is always just go buy an intercooler and be done with it... crazy when every other significant boosted platform swears by the stuff and now e85 is gaining popularity with the l67 crowd which in my eyes just proves that gains were there to be had with alky injection all along

the autolite plugs are the same deal , its what everybody has been told to run in these cars until recently when they started crapping out due to manufacturing moving overseas and now the shift is to ngk's

one of the other myths along the same lines may be gearing....its so hard to hook these fwd cars if they make any power anyways do we really need to change gearing ? I had a 3.29 car with more mods than my 2.93's regal and it trapped 2mph slower ??

a stock or extremely lightly modded car can make the 1/4 in 2nd ( up to about 96mph on stock rpm limits) getting the gearing into the 2.70's is not going to make the cars bog since all the power with an sc is off idle/low rpm anyway , I could see a street car that traps under 110 making gains by not having to shift into 3rd right before the traps just like a stock car can....

turbo6smackdown you might have been the one who got me thinking about the gearing thing , I remember someone on both this board and rgs. org that had a gn mentioned it to me - thats only a handful of people lol

Hmmmm...FREE HP vs engine light for gutting the cat....Do EEEEET! lol.

I recently swapped out my NGK-TR6's for NGK-TR6ix's and i could swear my gas mileage went down from 30's mpg to 27 at 70mph. My gap on the TR-6s was about .045 and did well at the track even at 11.7psi with 110 race gas. Out of the box the NGK ix's were .034. This is awesome for preventing spark blow out in say our TRs at over 20psi ... but in my little 03 GS?? next week i'm going to try to do a side by side test drive of ix's VS TR6 coppers and see if i get my mpg back and maybe a little track time in the 1/8 too. I was getting consistent 34mpg before....now 27mpg hwy. Cant blame it only on the plugs gap and materials, but the heavy 23.5lbs 17's wheels and 1.0 PCM maybe.

Didnt somebody somewhere say Alchy eats up the coating on our rotors on our M90s?

Did you try regapping the new plugs to the old gap you used to run?

And about the alky eating the rotor coating off. If you mount the nozzle in the right area, you won't have that problem. And even if you do wear a little off of it, it won't matter, as the coatings just there to help get a good seal on the rotors. If the seal gets degraded a bit, then the air heats up a bit; we won't need to be concerned with that any longer, as we're spraying meth lol. What efficiency you lose in the coating loss, you MORE than make up for plus more, with the spray.

When you first get the iridiums out of the box... the needle tipped genter electrode is way too fragile to try gapping with a common gapper using only one good hand in my current physical condition. You might have just motivated me to try to swallow my pride and get some outside help to try gapping these ix's. There IS a guide out there somewhere "for people brave enough to try gapping iridiums"...
Was wondering the same thing with Alchy...if tapped into the LIM Instead of above the rotors. Wonder if the 3800 Giants of the industry thought of a kit for this yet? Hell, if i ever go turbo...the Alchy set up will already be there waiting for it... DAM YOU!...now you got me drooling over the idea! lol!!

I fully agree a set of ss autochrome headers off ebay (slp knockoffs) for $300 is a better route and costs about the same or less than the plog/dp/ported rear route.... but due to personal experience I disagree about the minimal gains since I have run 13.5 @104 in my daily driver regal on 3.5/plog/ported rear/3" dp & exhaust /stage 1 tb/tune and not much else on street tires 2.2 60 foot close to 200k on the car at the time (214k now) and ran 13.9 stock size pulley (3.8 mps) same day same setup , stock long block including cam & rockers , no IC.

my headers /rockers/3.4/3.29 geared gtp ran 13.3 without spray and 12.2 @118 with so I have run both setups

Seen this while searching for spark plugs and had to say something. You ran a 13.5 with a 3.5/plog/dp/stage 1 tb and tune??? With a 2.2 short time. Not buyin' it lol. Your track is not 1320' long then... I had pretty much ALL the goodies to support a 3.4, and I ran a 3.5, with a street tune from Ryan Carter, and with a 2.2 short time I ran a 14.67 @ 98mph. You put about HALF of my mods on, and are beating my WRX in the quarter mile? No way. Because a general rule of thumb is each second up front is about a second and a half at the back side, meaning, if you were to knock off a mere .2 off your short time, which is still doable, you'd run a 13.2? With a 3.5/plog/dp/stage 1 tb and tune. I can't see that happening. There's something wrong with your track. It's either short, or the timer's a little off. Had to say it. What tires were you on, what was your launch rpm's, what was the air temps that day, and did you have the spring blockers and spring cable mod up front.

Seen this while searching for spark plugs and had to say something. You ran a 13.5 with a 3.5/plog/dp/stage 1 tb and tune??? With a 2.2 short time. Not buyin' it lol. Your track is not 1320' long then... I had pretty much ALL the goodies to support a 3.4, and I ran a 3.5, with a street tune from Ryan Carter, and with a 2.2 short time I ran a 14.67 @ 98mph. You put about HALF of my mods on, and are beating my WRX in the quarter mile? No way. Because a general rule of thumb is each second up front is about a second and a half at the back side, meaning, if you were to knock off a mere .2 off your short time, which is still doable, you'd run a 13.2? With a 3.5/plog/dp/stage 1 tb and tune. I can't see that happening. There's something wrong with your track. It's either short, or the timer's a little off. Had to say it. What tires were you on, what was your launch rpm's, what was the air temps that day, and did you have the spring blockers and spring cable mod up front.

the link to the pass your referring to is right in my post above , I no longer have the slip and not looking to go through threads from 7 or 8 years ago to find it

New England Dragway is definitely 1320 feet long

I raced that car there about 300 passes over about 5 years and it ran similarly over most of that time

I beat many , many wrx's in the 1/4 mile over the years with that car , typically only people who dare to do a high rpm clutch dump did well with those cars - bog = slow and very few wrx's were in the 12's at my track in 2007/2008 you were more likely on a street night to see one run 14 flat than 13 flat.

the car trapped 103/104 so yes it was surely capable of running quicker than 13.5 if it ever fully hooked up , cold nights are a bitch for fwd traction

I was wrong in that post about 60 foot times , the car typically ran between 2.0 & 2.2 and I am sure its pb pass coincided with a 2.0 short time (its best 60 foot ever was a 1.98 but I know that wasn't on it quickest pass) I never ran slicks on the car only nitto street tires /drag radials that I could run rain or shine

I don't know who ryan carter is I tuned my own and spent literally hundreds of hours scanning and tuning that car , it would be very difficult for a tuner to put the type of time you can put into your own tune ( at the time I commuted it 1100 miles a week between Maine & Massachusetts daily - the track was a 15 minute detour on my way home and almost always had a scan going lol)

about your 14.6 @98 with more mods you have something going on there several similarly modded w bodies to mine ran within a tick or 2 of mine at my track , I drove my daughters gs to the track with only a cone filter on it , no track prep ,3/4 tank and ran 14.4 @96 and that was not in great racing weather maybe 800 - 1200 above da or so mid august 70's dropping to 60's night.

I havent raced that car in about 5 years allthough the current owner just ran 13.0 with 250,ooo miles on it now still unopened engine & trans after adding an intercooler and smaller pulley but weather would have been somewhere in the 1000-1800 below sea level range as I only go to the track looking for et's spring and fall when I know the DA will be excellent ( I currently have 2 full weight , high mile stock internals f bodies that have run 11.9 &12.1)

I always did cable mod but in the back I have never heard of doing it in the front , although I had tried tieing down the front to stop weight transfer previous to doing cable mod with no success , I also ran spring blockers in the back all the time ( been in the car last 120k miles or more) but at the track with the cable mod they are only there to limit rear drop if a cable should snap

I am very thorough with track prep in order to get better et's than mods would normally provide because I am a cheap prick lol , I didn't persue lower 60 foots because I saw too many people running 1.8/1.9 60 foots breaking their stock 4t65e's and the bugger is still hanging in there for my buddy that owns the car now

the link to the pass your referring to is right in my post above , I no longer have the slip and not looking to go through threads from 7 or 8 years ago to find it

I raced that car there about 300 passes over about 5 years and it ran similarly over most of that time

I beat many , many wrx's in the 1/4 mile over the years with that car , typically only people who dare to do a high rpm clutch dump did well with those cars - bog = slow and very few wrx's were in the 12's at my track in 2007/2008 you were more likely on a street night to see one run 14 flat than 13 flat.

the car trapped 103/104 so yes it was surely capable of running quicker than 13.5 if it ever fully hooked up , cold nights are a bitch for fwd traction

I was wrong in that post about 60 foot times , the car typically ran between 2.0 & 2.2 and I am sure its pb pass coincided with a 2.0 short time (its best 60 foot ever was a 1.98 but I know that wasn't on it quickest pass) I never ran slicks on the car only nitto street tires /drag radials that I could run rain or shine

I don't know who ryan carter is I tuned my own and spent literally hundreds of hours scanning and tuning that car , it would be very difficult for a tuner to put the type of time you can put into your own tune ( at the time I commuted it 1100 miles a week between Maine & Massachusetts daily - the track was a 15 minute detour on my way home and almost always had a scan going lol)

about your 14.6 @98 with more mods you have something going on there several similarly modded w bodies to mine ran within a tick or 2 of mine at my track , I drove my daughters gs to the track with only a cone filter on it , no track prep ,3/4 tank and ran 14.4 @96 and that was not in great racing weather maybe 800 - 1200 above da or so mid august 70's dropping to 60's night.

I havent raced that car in about 5 years allthough the current owner just ran 13.0 with 250,ooo miles on it now still unopened engine & trans after adding an intercooler and smaller pulley but weather would have been somewhere in the 1000-1800 below sea level range as I only go to the track looking for et's spring and fall when I know the DA will be excellent ( I currently have 2 full weight , high mile stock internals f bodies that have run 11.9 &12.1)

I always did cable mod but in the back I have never heard of doing it in the front , although I had tried tieing down the front to stop weight transfer previous to doing cable mod with no success , I also ran spring blockers in the back all the time ( been in the car last 120k miles or more) but at the track with the cable mod they are only there to limit rear drop if a cable should snap

I am very thorough with track prep in order to get better et's than mods would normally provide because I am a cheap prick lol , I didn't persue lower 60 foots because I saw too many people running 1.8/1.9 60 foots breaking their stock 4t65e's and the bugger is still hanging in there for my buddy that owns the car now