Atmosphering external wastegate???

ttypewhite

Curious to hear the views on atmosphering your wastegate as opposed to routing it back into the downpipe. Obviously this is a question for guys with 4 bolt turbos and a external wastegate like a Tial 44mm etc. Any advantages with boost control? Back pressure? stability in boost settings? Spooling? or increasing the boost past a certain point?

Very interested in this also

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

From what I've read and picked up from other Buick guys over the years.
Boost Control: The stock set up works real well. There are a lot of very fast guys using a stock internal wastegate actuator
An external wastegate will give you flexibility to use other boost control setups and may be better for much larger turbos

I've heard of guys picking up 20+ horsepower simply switching to an external gate and venting out to atmosphere.
I currently use an external gate on my set up and will for sure on my stage 2 motor that's in the works. I see no downside to it at all

Just my .02. There's much smarter guys on the boards that I'm sure can chime in.

From what I've read and picked up from other Buick guys over the years.
Boost Control: The stock set up works real well. There are a lot of very fast guys using a stock internal wastegate actuator
An external wastegate will give you flexibility to use other boost control setups and may be better for much larger turbos

I've heard of guys picking up 20+ horsepower simply switching to an external gate and venting out to atmosphere.
I currently use an external gate on my set up and will for sure on my stage 2 motor that's in the works. I see no downside to it at all

Just my .02. There's much smarter guys on the boards that I'm sure can chime in.

A real wastegate vented out will make more power than the stock flapper or having an external going back to the downpipe

A real wastegate vented out will make more power than the stock flapper or having an external going back to the downpipe

One good thing about venting to atmosphere is you can hear the gate open. If you don’t, you know there’s a problem. A little loud for a street car but you get used to it.

I used to have mine open back in the day, but it was too much of a heat score for me on the street. At night cruising the streets you had to be very mindful of where you laid into it because it would sound like a bomb went off, just too loud. I have since routed it back into my downpipe, but always wondered what the real advantages were in atomosphering it.

I used to have mine open back in the day, but it was too much of a heat score for me on the street. At night cruising the streets you had to be very mindful of where you laid into it because it would sound like a bomb went off, just too loud. I have since routed it back into my downpipe, but always wondered what the real advantages were in atomosphering it.
This is the only problem I have with it being dumped to atmosphere. Can’t pass a car on the freeway without attracting attention...we’ll, I’m not passing anything on the freeway anymore with a 3 speed :ROFLMAO:

This is the only problem I have with it being dumped to atmosphere. Can’t pass a car on the freeway without attracting attention...we’ll, I’m not passing anything on the freeway anymore with a 3 speed :ROFLMAO:
Mikes car probably never passes a car on the freeway without attracting attention. ;)

I know you already know this .. but the small gate mufflers .. do wonders if you do vent to atmosphere .. they really work

I have two wastegates. And both are vented to the atmosphere. I drive it on the street and drive it often. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Never even considered giving myself more clutter, extra work, and the potential for a crack to form in a pipe connection.

If Mike is ttypewhite then I would have to agree. I’ve seen his Instagram, he just never follows back :eek::D

Don't take offense to it, I just don't have the time to keep in front of it. I started it just to keep a eye on my kids and their circle of friends. I already get friends and family asking why I don't like their posts. If I'm not on it all day, then I gotta spend hours liking everything I missed. Too much maintenance. My apologies. That's why I don't do Facebook.

I know you already know this .. but the small gate mufflers .. do wonders if you do vent to atmosphere .. they really work

I was thinking about that but wondered if I would be adding another restriction?

Do it! Shoot in straight down if you can. It's not fkn loud... Trying to post pics....this site is finicky. Easy

Don't take offense to it, I just don't have the time to keep in front of it. I started it just to keep a eye on my kids and their circle of friends. I already get friends and family asking why I don't like their posts. If I'm not on it all day, then I gotta spend hours liking everything I missed. Too much maintenance. My apologies. That's why I don't do Facebook.

I was thinking about that but wondered if I would be adding another restriction?

Same Here Mike!
I am Gran_ National on IG. Too much to keep up with but I try.
I remember this wastegate question back in the day. It was said to lower back pressure and make more power as the exhaust had that much less forced into the down pipe and pre turbo gates dump the exhaust prior to the 3 bolt housing. Many cars that had them on the cross over back in the day. My thought then was if cylinder 1,3, or 5 are in lean conditions... are you dumping the tell tale signs?

Last edited:
Peek-a-boo! :sneaky:

unspecified (14).jpg

If they had a electronic cut out for this, I would be in. For the street I much prefer it being routed back in the downpipe just so I don't attract too much attention to myself if I wanted to lean in on it. At the track..... I am going to try capping the downpipe flange to the wastegate and run another pipe downward from my wastegate. I want to see what this translates to on the dyno.