Atmosphering external wastegate???

If they had a electronic cut out for this, I would be in. For the street I much prefer it being routed back in the downpipe just so I don't attract too much attention to myself if I wanted to lean in on it. At the track..... I am going to try capping the downpipe flange to the wastegate and run another pipe downward from my wastegate. I want to see what this translates to on the dyno.
I think you and I may be in the same situation with this.

No matter what we do, we will always tend to draw a lot of attention on the street. Might as well go with it. Vent to the atmosphere. :devil::sneaky:

Just tell them the devil made you do it.

I think you and I may be in the same situation with this.

No matter what we do, we will always tend to draw a lot of attention on the street. Might as well go with it. Vent to the atmosphere. :devil::sneaky:

Just tell them the devil made you do it.

I hear you my friend, but like yourself, my pipe is already made and I not looking at putting a patch on my downpipe. But I will have the option of venting it when I go to the track or dyno to be more efficient and get the most out of it. Currently I make more power then I can utilize on the street anyway so there is no draw backs there.

few.jpg

I hear you my friend, but like yourself, my pipe is already made and I not looking at putting a patch on my downpipe. But I will have the option of venting it when I go to the track or dyno to be more efficient and get the most out of it. Currently I make more power then I can utilize on the street anyway so there is no draw backs there.

View attachment 317604
Well now!

I didn't know you were going to start becoming a "show-off"! :D

View attachment 317604

You have the ideal setup
With that to vent to atmosphere at the track.. just like you mentioned with a cap .. just split straight off the gate 90

Dont think with that setup
You will see much venting to atmosphere

If I use an old turbo setup with a drawthrough carb, such as the early Buicks, when the blowoff valve opens if I install one, the system is actually releasing unburnt air/fuel out. Now, that's something I want to keep in the exhaust system, so that ( I assume ), the catalytic converter burns it. Am I assuming this correctly?

Last edited:
If I use an old turbo setup with a drawthrough carb, such as the early Buicks, when the valve opens, the system is actually releasing unburnt air/fuel out. Now, that's something I want to keep in the exhaust system, so that ( I assume ), the catalytic converter burns it. Am I assuming this correctly?
The exhaust gases that bypass your turbo’s exhaust wheel through your wastegate have no use whatsoever. And bypassing only takes place when under boost.

The only reason one might want to route it back into the exhaust stream is to reduce sound.

I’m sure there may be some who give give catalytic converters some thought. However, I haven’t seen one in years and hardly care anything about them or how they work or what they need.

Do you? And if so, is it an enforced compliance issue with local laws?

Last edited:
I meant if I used a blowoff valve ( which is intake-side ), not a wastegate which is exhaust side.

I meant if I used a blowoff valve ( which is intake-side ), not a wastegate which is exhaust side.
You can’t use a blow off valve for your application. It isn’t necessary. Furthermore you don’t have a place to put it.

A blow off valve is used to vent turbo pressure between the turbocharger and the throttle body. When the throttle body slams shut, the turbo's impeller wheel continues to spin and the pressure that is built between throttle body and the turbocharger backs through the turbocharger causing it to choke to a stop. This could damage the turbo wheel.

This can’t happen on your engine’s set-up. So you don’t need it and you can’t have it.

Last edited:
Sort of on the same topic...have you guys noticed any difference in sound of the wastegate operating in an external gate with the pipe routed back into the DP versus an internal gated DP? I recently swapped to an external gate and have noticed an odd sound about the time the gate should be operating. Almost like an exhaust leak but slightly muffled.

I run a 4 bolt turbo with an external gate. It does get routed back to the downpipe.

Mine is a street car and it’s a sleeper not a noise maker.

I disagree with any hp claims dumping to atmosphere. Now gains from a muffler set up versus opening the test pipe? Yeah I can see that.

The whole purpose of going to a 4 bolt is to update the turbo, the compressor options and to flow more than a 3 bolt. Yeah yeah you can do just as much with a 3 bolt.