At what point does the alky pump require a 2nd nozzle ?

yullose

Certified Gun Nut
I guess I'm just curious how far the pump will continue to increase it's output, when referenced from the map sensor.

Reason I ask is... at 18psi, I have the dial turned all the way up and I'm seeing O2's in the 790-800 range... that's in the top of 3rd gear WOT.

If I turn up the boost, will the pump increase along with it and compensate due to the map sensor ? or does the pump only run up to a certain point and level-off ? (requiring a 2nd nozzle)

Sorry if this is a stupid question... I've been away from these cars for almost 2 years now. I'm a little fuzzy on some of the finer details.;)

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/al...when-do-you-need-razors-2-nozzle-upgrade.html

Keep going up on the boost and the map will tell the system to add more alky.
Your at 8 on your controller at only 18psi. That sounds a little odd if you have a M 15 nozzle and a properly working fuel system. How much timing are you running?

Chip default fuel and timing... (22 degrees in all gears)
I have no speedo or NSS inputs, so the only adjustment I have is WOT fuel and spark.

Your O2's appear low. But it depends on your fuel system. You adjust air fuel with Gasoline.. and control KNOCK with alky. So if you dont like your air/fuel... you need to look at your fuel system. If you get knock, then you need to add more alcohol.

When the pump hits 180-200 PSI on my system, is when you add another nozzle. One way is to put a T fitting and run a pressure guage. The other is looking at performance of the car.

Most street chips and alky chips should support upwards of 20+ PSI fuel.. this assumes you have a good working fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, filter, proper voltages to pump, etc.

Reason I ask is... at 18psi, I have the dial turned all the way up and I'm seeing O2's in the 790-800 range... that's in the top of 3rd gear WOT.

The initial knob (inside the controller box) can also be an additional means of controlling Alky flow too as you go up in boost and performance. As Julio mentioned, Alky is used to control Knock and needs to be adjusted accordingly.

As an aside I have a 67BB turbo that I run into the 28psi range with a single nozzle (for now)........

FWIW... I think I figured out what my problem was.

I was fooling around with fuel pressures and boost... and was forgetting to reset the ECM...

That had me all kinds of fukked up... and chasing my tail for no reason... :D

Boost is working well around 21psi now, fuel pressure is @43psi and the alky knob is about halfway... O2's are peachy and zero knock.

Who'd a thunk there would be such a difference by just unplugging/re-plugging a stupid orange wire. ;)

I've been away from these cars for awhile, so I've made a couple silly goofs... that thankfully have not cost me any money.

It's all coming back to me now. :cool:

I was fooling around with fuel pressures and boost... and was forgetting to reset the ECM...

Is it really necessary to reset the ECM for boost and fuel pressure changes? I have never reset the ECM when I changed boost/fp and I don't think it has hurt my car's performance. Inquiring minds want to know. :smile:

That had me all kinds of fukked up... and chasing my tail for no reason... :D

Boost is working well around 21psi now, fuel pressure is @43psi and the alky knob is about halfway... O2's are peachy and zero knock.

Who'd a thunk there would be such a difference by just unplugging/re-plugging a stupid orange wire. ;)

I've been away from these cars for awhile, so I've made a couple silly goofs... that thankfully have not cost me any money.

It's all coming back to me now. :cool:

Sometimes going back to basics is a good place to start. :D

Sometimes simplicity rules over complexity :wink:

So, is it really necessary to reset ECM when you make fuel/boost changes?

No. But if you change your fuel pressure, you need to let the ecm re-learn the "new" setting.. ie INT/BLM

And some chips can be put into program mode and more/less fuel can be added. If you screw up these settings.. pull the plug and reset the ecm. Just like you would when installing a new chip.