Astro roof liner question?

GNBRETT

Pelennor Fields
My liner for my astro roof is sagging slightly. What is the proper way to remove the slider to repair the lining? Thanx....

Sun Roof Slider/Shade Repair

I am facing a similar problem and here is what I have found in the manual, though I admit I have not yet tackled this on my own car yet.
Bill

The Fisher Body Manual confirms that removal of the sunshade is possible without dropping the entire sunroof assembly. (I recently removed an entire sunroof at a wrecking yard trying to get the shade out, which was not much fun even though I learned plenty!) The trick is to first remove the plastic "halo" trim on the underside of the glass panel. This allows you to then open the sunroof and close the sunshade, which gives you access to the fasteners.

The process is as follows:

1.) Start with sunroof panel closed, sunshade open
2.) Remove screws in plastic halo trim at rear of sunroof
3.) Open sunroof about 8" and remove screws at front of trim
4.) Pull down and forward at center of trim to disengage from sunroof panel. Trim comes out the bottom.
5.) Fully open sunroof and close sunshade
6.) Remove screws holding sunshade handle (from top)
7.) Remove clips from RH sunshade guide bracket. The manual makes references to reinstallation in a specific order, so carefully note where the clips are before removal.
8.) Remove RH guide bracket
9.) Remove sunshade through the top, starting with the RH front corner.

Nothing to it - right?

kirban 2 cents worth

The answer above is correct as I have the GM Body manual. We actually sell them as it coves everything body related. GM printed a different one each year at lest back then. They cover usually the entire line up all the various body styles not just the G body that would interest us.

Unfortunately their pictures are not very helpful. As I mentioned in a PM to you the other issue is the chances of having it recovered and match 100% to your original headliner is between slim and none.

Most upholster shops can do a astroroof headliner and slider for $250. Usually runs about $100 more than a solid roof one piece headliner. Cost as you probably gather is not in the material its in the labor and the experience knowing how to do it.

If you do attempt it maybe you can respray the board on the slider and reaffix the original material. That may be an option. However, that option won't fly on the headliner part.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Far from being an expert but have enough ideas
Frankly I am surprised we can still buy from GM the 1987 body service manual still with the cars 23 plus years old.

sag

Bring it to kash's garage they can fix it repaired lots of headliners and moonroof sag problems.

i just got my board recovered for 50 bucks at a local shop. im glad you posted cause it didnt have the board in it an i was trying to figure out how to install it. post pics if ya beat me to it and ill do the same