Anyone using the JS Manufacturing Intake have any track or dyno #s?

6SENSE

A while back I got ahold of one of those long awaited JS Manufacturing intakes that relocates the TB (w/ u-pipe for hotair configuration). Was able to pick it up from a board member and thought I might try it out. Does anyone have any actual track numbers or dyno numbers using this intake? I need to decide which intake Im going with on my [slow moving] 4.1 project. I'll either stick with the V1 intake that Ive been using since the late 90's, the JS intake I mentioned, or possibly send a stocker to iwinengineering to rework.
I was thinking about swapping the JS intake onto the engine in my car now for back to back comparisons but just havent had the time to make it happen yet, so hopefully I can get some feedback to help with the decision.

JS Intake

I really don't think it will make any power over your V1 but should improve your throttle response. Since basically it is the same intake just reconfigured to be a blow through design instead of a draw through. While it will feel different from an off idle stand point I don't think you will see any real gains over all from the V1.

Thanks for the reply boostmaster. Moving the TB is probably a really good improvement for everyday driving on the streets, with the expected extra throttle response. As far as at the track, if building boost at the line there shouldnt be much of a difference if the intake is similar in all other respects.
Im surprised though that there isnt any response from anyone who purchased the intake :confused: I know there were quite a few made, right? Hasnt anyone ran there car with it and can share their results? Sure I can always speculate on my own (like I usually do) but I figured it would be nice to get some more insight through what makes this community so great.. sharing ;)

6sense hate to burst your bubble but this old board isn't what it use to be. Very few real racers left. Most of the old guys have moved on to better things after all their R & D and proving that their combos had some success. Now all we have here is bench racers. Bolt on this, bolt on that, bam, bam, still slow, going intercooled. There are plenty of untested prototypes out there that get chucked away when they don't become the majic bullet for the hot air. How do you think you got your JS intake? Not trying to flame anyone just calling like I see it.

Think your right. My brother and I have discussed this, guess I forgot. Not just this forum either.

How does one contact iwinengeering? I'm not able to come up with a web site. Any info about the modified intake offered for the 84-85 would be helpful. Thanks,

skylarkstage1 said:
How does one contact iwinengeering? I'm not able to come up with a web site. Any info about the modified intake offered for the 84-85 would be helpful. Thanks,
http://www.jsmanufacturing.com/
I think that is what your meant. And i am pretty sure the intakes are discontinued. But that place is only 15 mins from my house. :cool: I have heard nothing but good things about him.

6SENSE said:
Think your right. My brother and I have discussed this, guess I forgot. Not just this forum either.

Well I'm still with you and although I don't post much I still check in daily in the hopes of catching something interesting. I have already completed my 4.1 build up and if there is any advice I could give you,... after popping 2 hyperucracktic pistons; If you can afford it go forged. If you can't be careful with the tune go rich. I lost my pistons do to a lean condition caused by a faulty air flow sensor. It was okay with the stock heads, then I bolted on the ported heads and I guess the sensor couldn't handle it. The pistons actually started melting before they cracked. Ran a 8.0 in the 1/8 coasted to a 13.0 @ 92 mph in the 1/4 fogging up the track with oil. and that was @ only 18psi. Anyway good luck with your project and keep us posted on your progress.

my intake was ported by iwingengineering....I bought it off someone on these boards I believe....They did amazing work. The egr hump was ground to a point real smooth, runners smooth, gasket matched flawlessly, and it looks amazing. The motor is being built all this year, as the parts roll in!!! Stock, the car ran 15.22...completely stock. Now that all the upgrades are coming in, we are going for a consistent 13.2, and hopefully brake into those deep 12's!!! ;)

John

racemybuick said:
my intake was ported by iwingengineering....I bought it off someone on these boards I believe....They did amazing work. The egr hump was ground to a point real smooth, runners smooth, gasket matched flawlessly, and it looks amazing. The motor is being built all this year, as the parts roll in!!! Stock, the car ran 15.22...completely stock. Now that all the upgrades are coming in, we are going for a consistent 13.2, and hopefully brake into those deep 12's!!! ;)

John
Correct me if Im wrong but iwinengineering keeps the runner down the middle and ports and smooths everything else, right? A certain distinguished [former] hotair individual ;) suggested that I use a "stock" type intake with the runner down the middle because it actually helps with [if I remember right] the alky dispersing evenly. Thats why Im considering iwinengineering.
Just to change the subject slightly (which I can do because I started the thread..right?) I just remembered today (after working on it again) what is the biggest issue I have, much more than deciding on intakes.... exhaust leaks!!!!!!!! :mad: !!!!!!!! Since I havent been able to completely solve them over the past 8~ yrs I dont know what to expect when putting together the new engine. 3 different sets of headers, 3 crossovers, 2 uppipes, 2 downpipes, different gaskets, yada yada= same click click click sound :frown: If I go to a 86-87 setup it will be in attempt to escape exhaust leaks :rolleyes: not for performance :p

Header Leaks

Go to the Jay's Gn flexible up pipe and all your exhaust problems will be minimal. Most of the problems with the passenger side leaks and cracks come from the rigid up pipe pulling on the header. After it gets hot and flex's the header will tend to pull apart from its weld. I found a spot on the net and bought a 4" flex coupling had it welded in the middle and no more header leaks.

boostmaster said:
Go to the Jay's Gn flexible up pipe and all your exhaust problems will be minimal. Most of the problems with the passenger side leaks and cracks come from the rigid up pipe pulling on the header. After it gets hot and flex's the header will tend to pull apart from its weld. I found a spot on the net and bought a 4" flex coupling had it welded in the middle and no more header leaks.
Thanks for the tip boostmaster. Weird, thats just what my machinist was talking to me about this afternoon when I asked for his opinion. When he looked at the setup he said something about the turbo possibly causing the exhaust to flex because of how it is positioned. It didnt even come to mind that the stock uppipe had that flex in it :eek: Where did you find that flex coupling? I would definately like to give that a try. Makes perfect sense... Im getting slow.

6SENSE said:
Thanks for the tip boostmaster. Weird, thats just what my machinist was talking to me about this afternoon when I asked for his opinion. When he looked at the setup he said something about the turbo possibly causing the exhaust to flex because of how it is positioned. It didnt even come to mind that the stock uppipe had that flex in it :eek: Where did you find that flex coupling? I would definately like to give that a try. Makes perfect sense... Im getting slow.

Can't post the link. Do a search on verocious motorsports. Go to flex couplings and then braided liner. 2.25" & 4" in length.

Make your own JS Mfg. style IC conversion.
Use a 86/87 intake, modify a Accufab upper
plenum, modify the 96/87 thermostat outlet
tube to go around the alternator bracket,
use an 86/87 throttlebody and throttle cable
bracket and 86/87 throttle cable, bolt on the IC,
fab an inlet and outlet pipe up and go!
Want pics, e mail or PM me. HTH.
Some TIG welding here, but still pretty
easy, IMHO. My local radiator shop did the
welding for me.

J&S manifold on E-bay

There is a J&S manifold on E-bay up for auction right now if anyone is interested