Anyone tried the Borg Warner S484 turbo yet?

I previously had a COMP turbo , ball bearing, water cooled, 80mm compressor wheel with 79 straight cut exhaust wheel, with a 0.96 undivided housing. The compressor housing of the comp turbo is smaller. It spooled up dang fast, but for 80mm compressor and for what I am looking for, it just didn't seem to match my combo.
I drove my G-ride a good bit the other night. I was actually impressed with how quickly this turbo come up on boost. I feel real decent about the turbo at the moment. That being said, I need to get to the track where I can get some good data logs that will allow a proper quantitative comparison of spool up and performance. It is real humid in south MS in August, and I don't like beating the car up in this poor air, so I am planning on many September track outings. For now, I just have my seat-of-pants reaction which is impressed for sure.
The smaller compressor housing is probably restricting flow. It wouldn't surprise me if it had a poor diffuser for that wheel.
AG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think you may be right IMG_20160701_203556354.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160701_203559190.jpg
    IMG_20160701_203559190.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 208
Just not sure why the Comp turbo didn't work as advertised. Comp advertises 1300hp with it. But I couldn't get it to go over 150mph.

I went 152 on the Comp 76 billet wheel with the 75mm exhaust wheel, but it did have a bigger compressor cover.

Just not sure why the Comp turbo didn't work as advertised. Comp advertises 1300hp with it. But I couldn't get it to go over 150mph.
1300hp on a 9500rpm 1.8 liter engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went 152 on the Comp 76 billet wheel with the 75mm exhaust wheel, but it did have a bigger compressor cover.

The compressor cover is real important to the flow of the wheel. You can tell by looking at the pictures above that the Comp turbo with that small cover will choke the wheel. If you pulled the cover and could see the OD of the compressor, it won't leave much room for the diffuser and causes problems with the flow. Most of the newer turbos have some sort of extended tip or larger OD to increase the performance of the turbo. When these turbo companies start trimming them down to fit in compact housings it really does no good.
AG.

I was actually disappointed that the COMP turbo didn't work out quite a bit. I mean the Comp turbo you can spin the wheel assembly with two fingers like a top. This suggested it was going to and did spool quick, plus its small cover was so nice to install and work around..it was like I had a stock turbo again lol..but the whole time I was just in ignorance of turbo 101 first principals. Now I can't wait to see if this BW turbo is going to get this sled moving for sure.

Last edited:
GNDriven, any 1/4 mile or dyno numbers on the S484 yet? Any other impressions now that you've got some more seat time on the new set up? Thanks.

Chris

Nice! What's the A/R on your new housing? Please keep us posted on spool-up differences vs. your existing set-up.

Chris

Nice! What's the A/R on your new housing? Please keep us posted on spool-up differences vs. your existing set-up.

Chris
The A/R is advertised as a 1.30 but its based on a T4 SX3 so Reed thinks its closer to a 1.20. In my opinion it looks <.96. I have really good spool data to compare to but I will be changing multiple things like the primary tube sizes so I'll only see an overall change.
AG.